I was never extra ordinary but how come I got so bad?

• Hello folks!

I’m playing Chivalry for about a month now, the time on the 0-15 Level servers was wonderful, everything was fine I had my kills and deaths but I didn’t feel disappointed when I died. Now my K/D needs some extra basement to fit in. :offended:

I’ve recorded gameplay for my clan, Chivalry is no official clan game, but several enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbyQMMkJGG_6pHuOm7CXvLswimm3Plz74

I know that my skills with the blade and with the bow are not formidable but I at least had a positive K/D on these rounds. Now with the latest updates I kind of feel like it is my first day online.
    People just won’t die! Of course, cutting down a level 50 is certainly not as easy as cutting down a level 8, yet even equal ranks seem to have extra armor.

My ping has neither increased nor decreased since these recordings were made, a solid 40-80 on Europe based servers. Should actually not be the issue.

When fighting as MAA I dance around the enemies and bash at them with my one-handed sword, I mostly get blocked even when dodging around to reach their unguarded sides or even back. I always wonder how some people can block with their butt towards me. :uncomfortableness:

When playing as Vanguard and swinging the Zweihänder at the enemy, there is always those who manage to survive the black-slash from the combo. First one misses deliberately and the second is meant to connect, interestingly some manage to run at me during this time and one stab me with their dagger or one-handed sword. I don’t think a Vanguards armor is this weak that a single stab could get me. Secondly I wonder that the backswing does not connect as they can’t possible run in and out this fast.

I have changed hit locations like if they block high to hit their feet, but even those are blocked away. I might have not played Chivalry long enough but I can hardly imagine that people can anticipate you will strike at their feet for your first blow.

So please do analyze my gameplay videos and tell me what I am doing wrong. :encouragement:

Many thanks!

Raven :courage:

• Well first the weapon dmg hasnt changed for a some time, but archer dont deal backstab dmg anymore.

Second the players on the 0-15 servers got a 100times less ours in the game then what you are up against now.
    So how can get over this heaven and earth difference ?

1)Pick one class and one loadout (not a shitty one) that you are gonne play until you are good
    2)Get a feeling of the timings of each weapon
    3)Try to figure out then you are at initiative and dont attack then you are not
    4)Figure out which strategys work at high lvl and which are only working because your opponent is a noob
    5)read up in this forum and get more game experience
    6)play on low ping servers agains low ping players

1. dont try to hit peoples feets, the blocking box extends very far to the bottom

• You’re pretty much like every rank 16. You need to parry too, mashing lmb won’t help in every situation. If you really don’t want to use anything other than slash, at least pick a good weapon for it like messer or zweihander. Watch some tutorial vids, the ones by MoePork are really good. Raise your FOV to 120. If that’s too much try at least 110, it will be harder to read weapon range but once you get used to it, it’s a big help for seeing your surroundings.

The most important thing is to play more. Play different gamemodes like duel or FFA and you will learn how to deal with different situations. If you want to play with the best, go to an FFA duel server, usually with the name “old duel”, “duelyard” or “Clan X duels”. Most of the people there usually answer your questions and might even coach you if you just ask them nicely.

Oh, and try to unlock every possible weapon. It will be something that makes you want to play and to work on even if you’re getting shat on by rank 50 archers and you will learn how to play most of the weapons and the timings of them.

• add me on steam and ill couch you for 5$/hr

if youre EU of course

• @Monsteri:

add me on steam and ill couch you for 5$/hr

Sounds like some sort of innuendo to me. Pretty sure there are websites for this sort of thing Monsteri, try getting clients there.

• @TheFunnySide:

Well first the weapon dmg hasnt changed for a some time, but archer dont deal backstab dmg anymore.

Second the players on the 0-15 servers got a 100times less ours in the game then what you are up against now.
    So how can get over this heaven and earth difference ?

1)Pick one class and one loadout (not a shitty one) that you are gonne play until you are good
    2)Get a feeling of the timings of each weapon
    3)Try to figure out then you are at initiative and dont attack then you are not
    4)Figure out which strategys work at high lvl and which are only working because your opponent is a noob
    5)read up in this forum and get more game experience
    6)play on low ping servers agains low ping players

1. dont try to hit peoples feets, the blocking box extends very far to the bottom

@Albert!:

You’re pretty much like every rank 16. You need to parry too, mashing lmb won’t help in every situation. If you really don’t want to use anything other than slash, at least pick a good weapon for it like messer or zweihander. Watch some tutorial vids, the ones by MoePork are really good. Raise your FOV to 120. If that’s too much try at least 110, it will be harder to read weapon range but once you get used to it, it’s a big help for seeing your surroundings.

The most important thing is to play more. Play different gamemodes like duel or FFA and you will learn how to deal with different situations. If you want to play with the best, go to an FFA duel server, usually with the name “old duel”, “duelyard” or “Clan X duels”. Most of the people there usually answer your questions and might even coach you if you just ask them nicely.

Oh, and try to unlock every possible weapon. It will be something that makes you want to play and to work on even if you’re getting shat on by rank 50 archers and you will learn how to play most of the weapons and the timings of them.

First of all, thank you for detailed replies! :love_heart:

I have of course done the tutorial and done it several times to get used to feints and stuff, I re-do this tutorial every now and then. I try to use combos, like LMB+MWU or MWD+LTB to get over the wind-up delay. Yes, surely the have spent much more time and it would be strange if I was to cut throw them like a hot knife through butter. The main problem I have is that I watch tutorial videos and I try to apply the learned stuff in combat, but mostly that stuff - as it is public on youtube - is well-known and those ace veterans can smell those tricks yet from the spawn. I do like the challenge and I am not put off by Chivalry not being a CoD rush in title.

Raising FOV, so I can see the weapon longer as it normally would swing outside the screen, got it. :welcoming:

Concerning loadout, I was using the Norse Sword a lot recently and now I added a shield to it to survive a little longer. I mostly try to assist Knights who are going in front and I try to get the side or behind to do quick stabbing attacks.

I’m not sure if this is my main part as a MAA as I’d love to be able to attack an opponent on my own and not just sneak away the kill from allied Knights. :chargrined:

Sounds a good idea to ask someone to show a few tricks. :encouragement:

• @Raven1986:

Concerning loadout, I was using the Norse Sword a lot recently and now I added a shield to it to survive a little longer. I mostly try to assist Knights who are going in front and I try to get the side or behind to do quick stabbing attacks.

No point using norse, it’s the same speed as broadsword, has less reach and less damage. Use broadsword.

• Don’t use shields, bad habit for scrubs.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Don’t use shields, bad habit for scrubs.

This^
    Besides if you use a shield as a maa you either have to stop dodging or never get hit so you can keep dodging, otherwise your stamina will be gone in no time.

• The Thing is shilds prevet you from learning how to block, it may seem that the shild helps you now but it prevents you from growing.

So you dicided to play MAA
    1)Take Broadsword

1. I use on button dodge this means you disable double tapping dodge (probably the best for anyone)
      3)Only use dodge then you are getting a free hit from it, only use it based on what your opponent is doing
      do not develop the bad habbit of allways dodging away after you get blocked
    2. Learn the range and the speed of all weapons, you need to know then to start you attack to interupt a combo

• Don’t listen to those elitists guys above.

Use whatever you want. Shields are good fun.

The miss-then-hit trick isn’t very useful against good players. Particularly if you start swinging out of range. When we see that you are not in range and you start your windup, we smile and get into a position so we can rush in and hit you when you miss. Even more so with a slow weapon like the Zwei. So stop doing that tactic for a while, until you know the distances of weapons + class movement speeds quite well.

LMB is one of the easiest attacks to parry/blocks, keep that in mind. I’m lvl 57 and I probably use LMB about 20% of swings.

Instead of doing the miss-to-hit learn to drag instead, far more effective.

Practice parrying. If using shield, then practice not bringing that sucker up until the last moment to avoid easy kick-stuns.

Double tap-dodge adds about 100ms to your reaction time for dodging. 1 button dodge all the way. (unless using macros).

Try to play MAA without using dodge for a while, unbind it, learn to use your feet well then when you start to get at least 1:1 KDR add dodge back in and you will then learn to use it well (as a complement to your footwork, as opposed to being your footwork)

Good luck.

• Don’t listen to those elitists guys above.

Shields are terrible. Parries cost less stamina and allow you to fight off multiple enemies. Using a shield will drastically lower your effectiveness, they have no upsides.

• @Toll:

Try to play MAA without using dodge for a while, unbind it, learn to use your feet well then when you start to get at least 1:1 KDR add dodge back in and you will then learn to use it well (as a complement to your footwork, as opposed to being your footwork)

This one is key; good footwork is a critical foundation that you can translate to any of the classes. The only difference between them for footwork is the speed, but the same principals apply.
    Avoid dodging unless it brings you a solid advantage; otherwise, it’s just a stamina waste. When you run out of stamina, you’re usually dead soon after.

• Using a shield will drastically lower your effectiveness, they have no upsides.

Oh you. They certainly do have an upside. A Tower shield + Longsword Knight looks badass and is fun to play as. Sometimes having fun trumps trying to elite at a niche game.

• Toll is correct, deliberate miss then hit with zwei lmb, particularly when out of range, is inneffective against experienced players.
    If you have a fast comboing weapon like greatsword or claymore what I find tends to work is to deliberately miss with an overhead in facehugging distance then get them with the follow-up stab.

I would actually recommend using slow release weapons when starting out. The halberd, imo, is great for learning to do big drags.

After a while you will find yourself running around people’s attacks and hitting them in the flank or back.

• @Noxin:

Shields are terrible. Parries cost less stamina and allow you to fight off multiple enemies. Using a shield will drastically lower your effectiveness, they have no upsides.

Shields are quite terrible because you can’t riposte with them, but I found that kite shield + Longsword is a Vanguard killer when you learn to mask your windups and combos behind the shield (tower shield is better at this but it’s too slow IMO).

Anyway I wouldn’t suggest shields for low ranks, as what always happens with them is:
    1. they block
    2. they attack, get blocked
    3. panic and hold shield up
    4. get slow kicked
    5. die

Unless you know how to time blocks really well with the shield, don’t use them. Parrying attacks is easier anyway once you get out of the habit of panic parrying.

• @Toll:

Don’t listen to those elitists guys above.

I tend to agree. Shields can be strong if played correctly with the right weapon. If you do play with a shield, treat it like a parry. Don’t just sit there holding it up all day like a scrub.

Use shield bashes “F”, but don’t use the heavy version. Just tap F for quick bash. Literally no reason at all for heavy bash unless you’re up against another shield user.

Shield Knights do however have their playstyles limited and predefined. You can be a fantastic archer counter, a great Knight counter, but not both at the same time. Use a dynamic loadout like LS+Kite with Flanged Mace as backup for Knights. You’ll have to cycle through your loadout for different enemies, but at least you’ll have a tool catered to taking on every class with a decent chance of success.

Stamina is your biggest enemy with shields. Actually, the game becomes even more about that little yellow bar when you play with shields. Near all my deaths in 1v1 are stamina related, not all, but a majority.

Losing to some yellow pixels at the bottom of the screen is really quite frustrating, but I’ve written it off because Torn Towel doesn’t have a clue about balance or how to implement change with foresight, as in, how it will affect the rest of the game/classes/mechanics/arsenal.

Edit

Here’s a vid I made a while back for MAA Norse+Shield if you want to give it a shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J64m8LkZ0zU&list=UU3nc4lZdN7LNkQl2aep9rxA

Still effective enough to pub with for sure. ;)

• Shields are absolute beast in group combat, not sure why some people think otherwise.

When fighting multiple opponents at once, the biggest threat they could be are:

*Spear Vanguard. Constantly out of range, you’ll be forced to take on the enemies closer to you while that pesky Vanguard keeps poking at you while you’re out of range to retaliate.

*Archer. Obvious reasons.

*Shield Knight. A good shield knight can be key for defending objectives/chokepoints. You almost never have enough time to kick-stun them in group combat. The only way to take them out is by carefully leading your attacks or ripostes around his shield, which can be quite difficult when fighting some other enemies simultaniously.

That’s just my opinion, of course. Shield Knights can be very deadly if his teamplay is decent enough.

• People try to use shields just like they do parries. When they do that, shields are obviously not as good. They are different, I say shields are more advanced. You can’t simply use the shield like you would a parry. You can’t riposte with shield and that changes the dynamic of a fight considerably. If you go into a fight with a shield, with the same dynamic as you do with parry then yeah, shields suck.

• @Toll:

People try to use shields just like they do parries. When they do that, shields are obviously not as good. They are different, I say shields are more advanced. You can’t simply use the shield like you would a parry. You can’t riposte with shield and that changes the dynamic of a fight considerably. If you go into a fight with a shield, with the same dynamic as you do with parry then yeah, shields suck.

gotta remember about dat yello juice doe m8

you get a better squeeze the more your shield is down

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.