User Generated Content - General Discussion

• I got my maul after a few hours of experimenting from 600 000 tris (lol, too much beveling and stuff) with the decimate tool to 11000 tris. Now it looks with smooth shading still cool, but the little rings on the handle dont go under 6000 tris, when i go under that limit they couldnt be identified as rings. :S Any idea?

The handle should look like its wrapped with a noble textil, so it dont have to look like perfect rings…

This is the point im at right now. It would be perfect if i could delete the inner part of the rings, the ones which are
    inside of the handle, but i dont have any clue how to manage that. :(

• WOOOOAH!!
    Lemonater, you can easily reduce those polys down to about 600-700 polys. You don’t need that much detail hehe :P

Nobody is going to really notice the tiny details like bolts, especially when you put a texture on and players are running around fighting.
    Still early WIP though, so i’m keen to see what you do with it :D
    I think a variety of Kettle Helmets will be good for the game. Perhaps a Kettle Helmet pack or something like that, since there are so many slight variations of the same thing.

• Right. Those rings from the handle will be partially covered by the model’s hands and being bumps so small the detail will be hard to notice. You could probably fake the leather strap of the handle with a proper texture like most other weapons.

Example: http://i.imgur.com/KmsO1pO.jpg
    You can notice even the fullers are achieved by the texture and not polys.

Based on my extensive 4 hour experience with Blender, lol, I suggest you try this. Import the maul and its base texture and you’ll probably see lots of detail. Then open Chiv and take a screenshot of the maul in first person. You’ll probably notice much of the fine details is gone. So that’s the balance you’d need to for, I guess.

I’m starting my Longsword skin in very low poly and once I’m happy with its shape I’ll just save different versions adding more and more beveling and detail. I’m not sure if that’s the best approach but whatever. Trial and error ftw

• @Otreum:

I think a variety of Kettle Helmets will be good for the game. Perhaps a Kettle Helmet pack or something like that, since there are so many slight variations of the same thing.

I’d like that. Kettle 4 lyfe!

• I want to see a skin that makes the archer look like a ranger also PLUMAGE! WE NEED MORE FEATHERS OF MANLYNESS

• @Tombstone:

I want to see a skin that makes the archer look like a ranger also PLUMAGE! WE NEED MORE FEATHERS OF MANLYNESS

Yeah, I agree, ALL THE FEATHERS! haha
    Birdly: Flappy Warfare

• That’s My helmet 17,722 triangles 8,500 polygons textured to the best of my abilities. Can’t make it look like steel for the life of me lol. Doing some random searching I found someone with a similar problem. He needed a gun that he modeled to be 10,000 polys. His gun was 9,500,000 polys. So at least I’m not that bad lol.

Edit: Holy shit Poly cruncher is amazing. http://www.mootools.com/plugins/us/polygoncruncher/. Works way better than the optimize modifier. I can take it down to 20% looking fine.

• @lemonater47:

That’s My helmet 17,722 triangles 8,500 polygons textured to the best of my abilities. Can’t make it look like steel for the life of me lol. Doing some random searching I found someone with a similar problem. He needed a gun that he modeled to be 10,000 polys. His gun was 9,500,000 polys. So at least I’m not that bad lol.

Edit: Holy shit Poly cruncher is amazing. http://www.mootools.com/plugins/us/polygoncruncher/. Works way better than the optimize modifier. I can take it down to 20% looking fine.

lemon just remove some of thoses bolts might be the only way to reduce the polyfrogs

• Yeah I have lol. There’s now 27 bolts instead of 47. Might even change them from rounded to flat hexagonal.

Edit: I got it to 1600. That’s as low as it goes. Close enough to 1200.

• Lemon… haha that is sick. Keep working on it yo!

• Really nice work on the optimizations Lemonater! Great progress.
    Once you get more textures on there than just a diffuse/Colour texture, you will notice a big change in quality. It’s amazing what a specular texture and normal texture can do for a model :D

• Well my first attempt the normal map was way too strong. My helmet looked the the surface of the moon. But yeah it does make it look better.

Torn banners specular maps are pretty damn fancy too. They aren’t your standard desaturated diffuse.

• Some parts are missing and the actual maul part on the top edge is still a bit colorfull ( :nevreness: ),
    but thats the way im on right now. The texture resolution is a bit too high right now, but
    ill scale it down later.

Needed that high resolution to be able to paint on that ultra complex uv….
    Never thought it would be so difficult to actually make a texture. :hororr:

Any advice how to make the texturing more easy going? :beguiled:

• Texturing is hard. And I’m cheating and its still hard. I’m using the viewport canvas in 3ds max which allows me to paint directly onto the model from withen max. And its quite flexible in what I can do. But even then I have to play around with the UV and stick things together so they look right when rendered.

• @lemonater47:

Texturing is hard. And I’m cheating and its still hard. I’m using the viewport canvas in 3ds max which allows me to paint directly onto the model from withen max. And its quite flexible in what I can do. But even then I have to play around with the UV and stick things together so they look right when rendered.

You may find it easier to spend some time making a very neat and organized UV map in max, then checking if there is any UV stretching going on, and then exporting the UV into photoshop or GIMP and texture from there. I imagine you’ll be better able to do color readjustments and color blending from photoshop/gimp than from within max.

You said that your UV was ultra-complex, a model such as this should ideally have no more than 10 separate UV “islands”, which is probably making your texturing much more difficult. I’m not sure if the rings on the handle of the maul are separate objects, but if they are, you may be able to save on texture space by using the same UV for every ring.

Also, for making metal, take the time to paint on the scratches around where it would make sense to have wear on the item, it will make the metal look much more like metal instead of concrete/stone. If you look at TB’s color textures for items, they take advantage of this in all of their textures.

• Hey guys, one quick question. How do you go about making LOD0, LOD1, LOD2 models in Blender?

I imported the base/template weapon in Blender and it didn’t come with the weapon bones (read the Note at the beginning of the article).

But now I also can’t seem to find the different LOD versions of the weapon anywhere. I’m new to the program so maybe I missing something.

• @Alphonse:

Hey guys, one quick question. How do you go about making LOD0, LOD1, LOD2 models in Blender?

I imported the base/template weapon in Blender and it didn’t come with the weapon bones (read the Note at the beginning of the article).

But now I also can’t seem to find the different LOD versions of the weapon anywhere. I’m new to the program so maybe I missing something.

When I imported a weapon, it came with LOD0 (the main version) and the LOD2 (the most basic)

There are probably different ways to making LODs, some people seem to be using other programs/scripts to reduce the polycount automatically. For mine, I’ll make the model, UV map it, texture it, and then I’ll make 2 copies of it.

Then I’ll use ALT-R over an edge in edit mode (To select an edge loop) and then press X (Brings up delete menu), and then select EDGE LOOPS.

This will remove the edge loop while still preserving the UVs and of course the texture. I’ll repeat this until the polycount is where I need it to be. This method requires you to not use messy geometry when making the model, which means using almost all quadrilateral shapes and a minimal amount of triangles. Triangulate the mesh only once all LODs are complete and the model is finished.

• Thanks for your advice Tom.

Im happy that i learned so much while making my first model… the maul.
    But i guess its not finishable… or only with a shitload of more work.

So im gonna start again with all the new knowledge i gained in the last two days.

Ill keep you guys informed. :)

• I use poly cruncher. It maintains the UVs and keeps the best shape when you reduce polycount.

• @Tom_of_LTS_EAST:

When I imported a weapon, it came with LOD0 (the main version) and the LOD2 (the most basic)

Hey! Thanks for all the tips, I thought I could advance some work but I keep running into diff obstacles.

Like, I imported the FBX following your instructions (as well as these I found googling) but there’s definitely something off with my Blender.

I tried versions 2.71 (threw the Python error you mentioned), 2.70a and 2.69 to no avail. I even tried the unstable “2.71.5” version mentioned in the Wiki pages.

For one, the bones don’t look like the ones in this tutorial: Tutorial: Adding New Weapon Skins to Chivalry
    I’m not sure how they are supposed to look like in Blender, but whatever.

Also, the LODs were not imported, at all.
    I tried it with both the SM and WEP variants of the sample files, as well as the Longsword template (which is the weapon I was actually trying to skin) and I had the same results. You can see both issues in the pic below

Issue #2:
    I think the bones are wrong for some of the sample weapons uploaded here (if not most of them). I noticed how the b_weapon_tip in the WEP_Longsword.fbx file was longer than the actual sword mesh. I downloaded the Norse sword, which is a shorter weapon, and same thing, the weapon’s tip bone is longer than the actual mesh. Is this intentional or maybe a mistake when the artists exported it? Is it Blender screwing up the armature? Idk.
    The Maul, btw, is OK, which is what confused me even more.

I’m attaching these findings for your ref.