I just hit rank 16: GAME OVER

• The problem is, ranked servers are needed to make new players stick around enough to get interested in the game. Most people don’t enjoy their fist experience in the game being dominated over and over.

• @Rickvs:

-snip-

I figured it would just give them more time to learn the game before throwing them in the deep end, while not separating the player base too much. 25 seems like a good mid way point (half of 50). Yeah yeah, I know rank doesn’t really mean anything but I felt it would hopefully appease both crowds.

Might even give them more time to consider jumping into a real server and seeing how Chiv is really played.

• @Ellthan:

Yes, the problem is most people want to pick up the game and have fun.
    Not spend 2000 hours in the game to learn everything before they can begin having fun.

Of course better players will always do better and you will always need to improve, but the skill gap in this case is ridiculous. In most games, even new players stand a small chance to win without dying 15 times in a row.

If you don’t think learning a game with simple controls but incredibly deep mechanics is fun, then this game probably isn’t for you. You begin having fun the moment you realize how amazing this game is and how it’s truly one of a kind for its genre. You find your reason for playing this game. For me, I love being the best as an individual and personally influence the game’s outcome completely by my self in a medieval era where I can play epic looking knights with swords and shields. That’s my main drive behind this game. But, of course, it doesn’t take you 2000 hours to stop going 3-35. You can stop going 3-35 within a few hours just by watching the good players. This game is so visual queue heavy that you learn so much more by watching.

New players in any game won’t stand any chance, any time they get kills in this game it’ll be pure luck based because they’re just hitting LMB, shift and W in most cases and hoping they get kills. It’s probably what all of us did when we first started. The problem is that for 15 ranks, however long it takes them to get those lucky amount of kills and rank up, they’re gonna start believing that’s all this game has to offer. They’re not experiencing the skilled players actually showcasing how deep this game is and what it all has to offer. They get a false presentation of the game and a wrong sense of their own ability so the moment they hit 16 they rage quit as they feel they’ve been cheated. It’s the wrong outlook for this game and it’s the wrong way to keep new players.

Just like in CoD, you’re not gonna start playing the first time and go 55-5. You’re probably gonna’ go 3-35 there, too. Counter Strike, League of Legends, Mario Kart, any game out there is gonna’ be like this. You have to put forth time and effort into learning the game and watching how you get beat by people that are better than you, asking your self what you’re doing wrong and finding those answers. Ask the forums how to get better, ask people in game how to get better, take it seriously, go to good duel servers and ask around. There’s plenty of resources out there now that we didn’t have as noobs that help you skill up quicker. The players who are willing to do that are the ones Chivalry is designed for and who are going to stick around regardless of noob servers or not.

Match making and noob servers typically are good for games that require grinding to unlock everything you need to be competitive, or just simply has a large enough player base to support splitting the community like that. Chivalry has neither of those things so there just needs to be fewer low ranks. There’s a small % of players out there that would probably not stick around if they got crushed in the first 15 ranks but would otherwise keep playing, so having 2-3 low rank servers in their region would be for them and probably not split the game up too much.

• Since the first moment I joined an actual match I already knew how to combo, combo parry, use alt attacks efficiently, use faint efficiently, use kicks and drag efficiently.

No, you didn’t know how to do it. You knew of them.

It is like saying you know how to ride a bike without ever hoping on one because you watched a few youtube vids of someone riding a bike.

2/3’s of this game, as any skilled based game, is learned by doing. You cannot watch someone perform a skill and then perform that skill without practice. Knowledge and Skill are two different things.

• So you watch someone perform a skill on youtube. You go, Oh yeah I get that, then you go and practice it until you can actually do it. Then you have to practice it in battle so you can do it without having to think about it.

Then you eventually get to the point where you are thinking of overall strategy for the majority of the map, leaving all the techniques and skills you’ve learned along the way to sub-conscious control. I rarely ever think, I will perform a left-right slow drag now to kill this guy. Instead I just think I need to get to the objective, I’ll go up and around and flank the archers and hit the vanguards in the back. Whatever needs to be done to make that happen comes from practise.

This is what you are up against. Uou are playing against people who, for the majority of the time, have beaten you before you even clash weapons. This is strategy. This also takes time to learn.

You are best sticking with your team and using greater numbers to kill the good players. Most good players on pubs lone-wolf a lot, single them out and don’t attack them when they are ready for you.

• @SOC:

If you don’t think learning a game with simple controls but incredibly deep mechanics is fun, then this game probably isn’t for you. You begin having fun the moment you realize how amazing this game is and how it’s truly one of a kind for its genre. You find your reason for playing this game. For me, I love being the best as an individual and personally influence the game’s outcome completely by my self in a medieval era where I can play epic looking knights with swords and shields. That’s my main drive behind this game. But, of course, it doesn’t take you 2000 hours to stop going 3-35. You can stop going 3-35 within a few hours just by watching the good players. This game is so visual queue heavy that you learn so much more by watching.

The mechanics are fun and the game is appealing, but most people want to be able to mess around without stress once in a while. Being killed reputedly without the ability to retaliate most of the time isn’t fun.
    Learning should be done by having fun.

Not learn first, fun comes next.

New players in any game won’t stand any chance, any time they get kills in this game it’ll be pure luck based because they’re just hitting LMB, shift and W in most cases and hoping they get kills. It’s probably what all of us did when we first started. The problem is that for 15 ranks, however long it takes them to get those lucky amount of kills and rank up, they’re gonna start believing that’s all this game has to offer. They’re not experiencing the skilled players actually showcasing how deep this game is and what it all has to offer. They get a false presentation of the game and a wrong sense of their own ability so the moment they hit 16 they rage quit as they feel they’ve been cheated. It’s the wrong outlook for this game and it’s the wrong way to keep new players.

No, in games like tf2 or loadout, new players get the chance to do good a lot more often than in nonranked servers here. Here, new players will need to spend a lot of time learning before they can get into the actual action and fight backspazzing helicoptering ballerinas.

Just like in CoD, you’re not gonna start playing the first time and go 55-5. You’re probably gonna’ go 3-35 there, too. Counter Strike, League of Legends, Mario Kart, any game out there is gonna’ be like this. You have to put forth time and effort into learning the game and watching how you get beat by people that are better than you, asking your self what you’re doing wrong and finding those answers. Ask the forums how to get better, ask people in game how to get better, take it seriously, go to good duel servers and ask around. There’s plenty of resources out there now that we didn’t have as noobs that help you skill up quicker. The players who are willing to do that are the ones Chivalry is designed for and who are going to stick around regardless of noob servers or not.

Cod and Mario cart are very easy to pick up, really, sure in “higher” levels things get hard, but in the most common environment in the game most people won’t have a problem.
    Legue of legends, moba ew. I’m not touching this because mobas are a whole different level.
    Counter strike, takes time and devotion, but in the end you get a chance to get a few kills or do good.

The deciding factor here is that with enough skill, a good player can completely negate all damage directed at him, which it even harder for new players.

Match making and noob servers typically are good for games that require grinding to unlock everything you need to be competitive, or just simply has a large enough player base to support splitting the community like that. Chivalry has neither of those things so there just needs to be fewer low ranks. There’s a small % of players out there that would probably not stick around if they got crushed in the first 15 ranks but would otherwise keep playing, so having 2-3 low rank servers in their region would be for them and probably not split the game up too much.

Yes, but whats worse splitting the community UNTILL they level up, or having noobs quit in the first matches?

And trust me, it isn’t a small percentage, it’s a big one. Most people look for an enjoyable first experience of the game.
    You have to make players WANT to get better. Not force them to.

• @Toll:

No, you didn’t know how to do it. You knew of them.

It is like saying you know how to ride a bike without ever hoping on one because you watched a few youtube vids of someone riding a bike.

2/3’s of this game, as any skilled based game, is learned by doing. You cannot watch someone perform a skill and then perform that skill without practice. Knowledge and Skill are two different things.

And THAT’S why I needed ranked servers.

Sorry for multiposting. Can’t edit.

• @Ellthan:

Do, you even know who I am, or are you confusing me for someone else?

I haven’t posted in any “fights” complaining about every single aspect, I haven’t hated the players, nor do I hate “elitist players”, I didn’t hate/flame any members of the forum, neither do I hate the game or claim to hate the playerbase. I just joined the discussion.

**_FFS PEOPLE, CHECK THE GODAM NAME BEFORE YOU REPLY!

_**

Yes. The skill gap is ridiculous. Games like tf2, or loadout are games you can call “noob friendly”, easy to pick up (if you have brain cells, most people don’t in pubs there), also, more noob friendly since getting a kd radio of 15:1 is rather hard. Unless you play spy.

No really. Pit a tf2 noob and a loadout noob in your average skilled server.

Now pit a cmw noob in your average nonranked server.

Watch the results.

I made sure to unlock everything in ranked servers thank you very much.

And I am pretty sure all games teach you bad habbits. The problem is some people just resort to playing in ranked because they don’t enjoy learning by being dominated over and over and over.

I haven’t seen or heard anyone quit because they found the game too easy. If you don’t have the brain to realize that OBVIOUSLY it gets harder later on, then you shouldn’t have bought it in the first place.

Also, you’re wrong. I played the tutorial and watched community tutorials before I even booted the game. Since the first moment I joined an actual match I already knew how to combo, combo parry, use alt attacks efficiently, use faint efficiently, use kicks and drag efficiently.

Well if you All PRO before you bought the game, then WTF are you bitching about? Guess I missed your point entirely.

• @Retsnom:

Well if you All PRO before you bought the game, then WTF are you bitching about? Guess I missed your point entirely.

There are 2 sides, one not liking the idea of ranked servers and one that does.

I think they are a good idea, because they encourage new players to get into the game without being dominated upon joining a server. Think of ranked servers as preschool.

If children were forced to start with primary school the overwhelming difficulty of the first time would make them hate it more than they already do.

Instead they have to take stuff slowly.

• @Ellthan:

I made sure to unlock everything in ranked servers thank you very much.

Hmmm maybe thats the problem. When I was a low rank I didnt care that I was getting wrecked because I was just focused on unlocking the weapons. Then by the time I had all the weapons unlocked I was competent enough to put up a fight and have fun.

• @MichaelTurtles:

Hmmm maybe thats the problem. When I was a low rank I didnt care that I was getting wrecked because I was just focused on unlocking the weapons. Then by the time I had all the weapons unlocked I was competent enough to put up a fight and have fun.

Well you had to put effort into unlocking them.

Also, I think it’s better because you get a glimpse of variety. You get a chance to practice with all classes and all weapons.
    Instead of unlocking the claidehn mor and never trying out any other class of weapon.

• I already think of them as preschool. Most of us 50+ people didnt have that option. We learned by getting reckd. We reckd each other. We learned and explored the game to where we found all the nice tricks so you have the benefit of not having to find them yourselves.

I dont think anyone really has a problem with low ranked servers with the exception that there are too many of them. Which means that it is up to us Clan leaders to host real servers, on our dime if we want an open server to do what we want. Players get to play on my server for free, while I pay for it.

I think the OP is just crying because now he has turned 18 and kicked out of his house unprepared for the real world because he didnt learn anything from playing with noobs. And I quote:

THE LACK OF RANK 10-25 SERVERS (+20-30 / + 25-40 later) IS KILLING THE GAME by taking away all motivation from new players like me who are literal freekills for the trashtalking, “git gud f**k noobs”-saying rank 50s populating the servers.

It isn’t killing the game. Being dependent upon ranked servers is killing HIS enjoyment because just when the thought he had the hang of it and crushing noobs, he is kicked out and has to face reality. I hope his real life isn’t mirrored in being spoon-fed and pampered because he will get a shock once he moves out of his parents basement once he hits 27ish.

• As I said, if you add 15-25 and 25-35 servers you would destroy the Aus Chiv scene, dunno how the other countries would go but it certainly wouldn’t help.

The game already has a rather fragile user base, to decimate the games enjoyment for high rank players so you can spank noobs is rather selfish.

• Shit, Back in the day. Games like Quake had NO Ranks, NO unlocks. Nothing but here is everything, now go kill each other. A skilled Quake player would rip a noob apart, very very quickly. Yet people seemed to play that game a lot, they learned to play better. The better of us took our learnings to other games and stomped them too. Now some of use even play Chiv.

If you want to play on baby-step servers don’t ever expect to git gud at games and always expect to get crushed by those that learn in any game.

• I just made another account and with the family share tool i manage to join into a low server just for the lulz (and also because there were no server where i was able to join :|) NOBODY, and i say NOBODY was able to parry a single riposte, when i killed 8 ppl in LTS as the last man people were just “CHEATERRRRR!!11!!” (and i play very retarded with fake panic parry to seems a noob but they didnt even parry) how do you expect those people will do anything when they reach level 16? Because they see only random lmb spammers and nothing else. I spectate the first player on the scoreboard (27-4 i guess) and he was “gud” just due to his random spear stab and backpedaling but he doesnt even parry, just spamming stabs and going backwards.
    Let me tell you TB, those low ranked servers are just useless, people learn the game in the wrong way and they get stomped when they join into a normal server.

• Elthan, you’re a real gem. Keep posting, mate, because it’s hilarious!

-clanjack exploit hakr

PS remove ranked servers. they cause detritus to spawn consciousness and start whining about the game. sort of like if you heap enough trash together, it starts generating its own heat and becomes a small furnace. A furnace of stupid.

• Rank 0-15 servers haven’t existed forever, thus the players who are 40+ had to succumb to getting their asses handed to them before they learned to defend themselves and put up a fight. I know I did. My favorite class for a long time was Zwei Vanguard in FFA, to put it into perspective.

• Stop playing duels than
    In duels u’re more often confronted with those exploiting shitheads…
    In TO the success is based on teamwork, sense of fighting multiple opponents, perfect timings for attack/parry , quasi-feints,
    and VERY important footwork
    You dont need helicopters, reverse overheads, handle hit abusements, stab feints, stab draggings… these guys often fail in TO because they have some kind of tunnel vision and they can hardly adapt to new circumstances because everything they do is rehearsed.

In TO servers the average ranking is about 30 so u have good chances anyway.

Fight those with similar rankings first (they play normaly better, because they get already used to play against high ranking plebs)
    And avoid those 50+ players at the beginning.

Just a tip:
    If they hunt u down just “run away”, make a fast turn, stab and run away again, it gives you a good feeling no matter if you lose ;-)

• There is a beginner server located somewhere in the EU. (rank 0-30)

• This post is deleted!