Maul Skin - Pointy Hammer

• Hello!

Here is a maul reskin I’ve been working on.

Model and textures are pretty much done, and I’ve got it imported in engine following TB’s weapon skinning guide.

I’m not really looking to make large changes to the model itself now, but I’d appreciate comments on the textures since those can be easily changed.

Also, if anyone can answer the following, that’d be really cool:

On workshop requirements TB says “Your item’s geometry should be skin-weighted to the default skeleton provided in the reference files. The item should be rigid bound to the root bone”, which skeleton is being referred to?

No bones are imported when I import the .fbx of weapons, am I importing the wrong file, is it importing incorrectly, or is there just no skeleton? :o

TB’s weapon skinning tutorial says to use a gloss map, but the requirements page says that it’s not used for weapons. Without it, the weapon is extremely reflective since it’s not being controlled by any of the textures. Do I use one? Do I just put in the spec map instead of the glossy?

Model specs:
    LOD 0 - 5064 triangles
    LOD 1 - 2040
    LOD 2 - 526

And some screenies in-engine

• oh man it looks like a meat tenderizer

great job

• That looks great…… well done pal. Similar but different, I like it!

• Would buy.

• @lemonater47:

Would buy.

Sssh don’t say that out loud! Next thing you know it’s available for $15,-.

• Well the idea is to sell them.

• Looks excessively sexy. Tenderizing all the squishy knights muahaha.

• @Tom_of_LTS_EAST:

On workshop requirements TB says “Your item’s geometry should be skin-weighted to the default skeleton provided in the reference files. The item should be rigid bound to the root bone”, which skeleton is being referred to?

No bones are imported when I import the .fbx of weapons, am I importing the wrong file, is it importing incorrectly, or is there just no skeleton? :o

It seems the bones don’t show up in Blender. I can see them in Maya, but the scale is all wrong. Not sure if the bones are in the wrong place or the mesh is scaled incorrectly.

You could easily just slap down two joints, named b_weapon_root, and b_weapon_tip, but if they aren’t exactly the correct distance apart your weapon won’t a perfect patch for the original (causing weapon tracers to be drawn either too far or too near, I guess).

• They work fine in max. The bones match up to the mesh though they don’t seem to be skinned at all. Importing character models that is when I scaled my helmet.

Edit: no that was an extracted model to PSK so I have no idea what the FBX ones give you.

• The FBX files provided and the .psks don’t really match.

• @dudeface:

The FBX files provided and the .psks don’t really match.

These PSKs I got a long time ago which were extracted some time in 2012. They had the bones matched up completely with the models. I was working on something but stopped when I realise rigging a model to a different skeleton a slightly modified version of the default max skeleton. Chivalry uses its own custom skeleton.

• Put a cheese grader on the end and I will buy it.

• @dudeface:

It seems the bones don’t show up in Blender. I can see them in Maya, but the scale is all wrong. Not sure if the bones are in the wrong place or the mesh is scaled incorrectly.

You could easily just slap down two joints, named b_weapon_root, and b_weapon_tip, but if they aren’t exactly the correct distance apart your weapon won’t a perfect patch for the original (causing weapon tracers to be drawn either too far or too near, I guess).

I found that blender’s fbx importer/exporter can export bones, but it cannot import them. A 3rd party blender fbx importer seemed to do the job, and according to a TB employee the fbx importing will be fixed in later versions of blender

• this is 2014 how can they not know how to import FBX files yet…

• @dudeface:

this is 2014 how can they not know how to import FBX files yet…

IIRC it’s not that they don’t know, it’s that licensing issues (since FBX is a proprietary format owned by autodesk) caused issues with implementing the fbx importer fully.

• Awesome skin! Still recognizable as a maul, but changed enough to make it look badass.

@Tom_of_LTS_EAST:

A 3rd party blender fbx importer seemed to do the job

Did you get it to work? If so, do you mind letting everyone know which importer you used?

• @Knifelegs:

Awesome skin! Still recognizable as a maul, but changed enough to make it look badass.

Did you get it to work? If so, do you mind letting everyone know which importer you used?

Thank you for the comments :D

The importer is the BOS importer found here: http://blenderfbx.render.jp/install

The directions on the site seem to miss out a step, where you have to put the io_scene_bos_fbx.zip from here: http://blenderfbx.render.jp/home

into the same folder that he tells you to put umconv, and then just follow his steps.

It gave a python error on versions of blender 2.7 and up, so use 2.69 if you want to use this addon.

• Awesome, thanks!

• nice Tom, seems like a good workaround.
    Our team did some tests with Blender, and we were able to import bones with an as of yet unreleased version of Blender, Ive put a note for blender users into our documentation containing a link to download it.
    Ill add the information tom has shown to the blender notes as well though.
    https://tornbannerjira.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CHIVCOM/Tutorial%3A+Adding+New+Weapon+Skins+to+Chivalry

the bones are not supposed to match perfectly in all cases. in some the tracer start and end points have been altered ingame. whats important is that they be the same for each skin of the base weapon, so that the adjustments made in game are not thrown off.

• Thanks for the importer details, Tom. I can give Blender a whirl now.

@Bonebrew22:

the bones are not supposed to match perfectly in all cases. in some the tracer start and end points have been altered ingame. whats important is that they be the same for each skin of the base weapon, so that the adjustments made in game are not thrown off.

Ah, cool. Thanks for clearing that up.