Materials questions…

• Hey guys,

I’m struggling for a decent while with 2 things:

-How to enable Heightblend in Landscape for layers???

all trickps and tips from internet does not work for me : (

-How to solve out this weird shadows???

all meshes use same material
    I tried to use also simplier material not Minstance just for test where was only 1 texture sample in diffuse node and 1 in normal node it looked same :(

• Is that multiple different static meshes or 1 model? You may need to tweak the UVs so it doesn’t stretch out the textures inconsistently.

• hey Dudeface,

thankx for reply :),

it’s composed from different models

hmm those UVs could be fixed too, ur right

do you mean to add UV pannig to material or sth like that?

but only thing I can do with it is change material and even when I used another material it always strecth it this way

when I right clicked on mesh properties and tried some settings there it couldn’t save it cuz it’s cooked package or sth like that error…

I know how to tweak UVs on BSP but I don’t know how to do it with finished meshes
    if you can shortly advice how I will look into it :)

but UVs are minor, shadows are visible from long distances and it doesn’t look nice

is there a way how to edit somehow this cooked meshes from TB?

—edit—

another importnat thing

that block of wall uses same material for all 6 sides,
    so actually I can’t strecth UVs even if I would know how to, cuz then it would strecth it also on next side (not visible on screen) and then problem would be just on other place… :(

• Developer

The weird shadows are a smoothing / mesh normal issue. Is that a custom mesh or one of ours? If it’s one of ours I would recommend just finding a replacement mesh or two.

You can’t change UVs on a mesh inside the editor, but you can calculate new UVs based on world coordinates. An example of this in Chiv would be wall materials in Hillside, such as:
    Material’CHV_hills_buildings.Materials.M_Wall’

As for landscape heightblend, what isn’t working for you? Coldfront and Outpost both use it on their landscape materials if you want to see a material where it works.

• Hey Tyler,

woow thanks so much for so quick and good really helpful advice,
    I appreciate it very much :) :) :)

• I tried Landscape on Coldfront and still it doesn’t work for me, so when u say it works I suppose Heightblend is sth different than I considered it so far

I wanted to paint steep slopes on Landscape automatically with some rock texture

meanwhile I discovered some material formula in Stoneshill terrain material and this works perfectly for me!
    so this is solved out now

• sad to know that I can’t fix those shadows :(

yes, it is your mesh:
    StaticMesh’Walls_towers.Walls.Castle_wall_BG’

I can’t / don’t want to use another mesh for my little castle

StaticMesh’Walls_towers.Walls.Castle_wall_BG’ is best brick 2016
    battlements has good collsions really good for player u can’t jump on them which is importnat for me on my map cuz attacker have only 1 ladder but defebders can shoot through arrow slits in battlements….

its’s really best wall you gave in editor (I am going to learn Blender later and then I will be able to make my own, but for now this is best for me)

thank you for nudge with UVs, so I tried it:

it fixed most things apparently:

but new issue appeared now, not shadow but actually texture itself is f.cked up xD

but as I luv LEGO:

it wasn’t that big issue and I’m quite satisifed with this

well it’s not 100%, but it doesnt affect gameplay so that’s that
    I think it looks much better now, it doesn’t break your eye at first sight

Thank you both Tyler and Dudeface again for quick help :)