Should you be flinched when hit during riposte attack windup?

• Please ignore that one load screen tip. Riposte attacks do have what I can’t describe as anything other than windups.

• half sized windups or something.

But yeah, no reason why it should be unflinchable if that is the case.

• Can you feint a riposte?

• You currently can’t flinch or feint a riposte.

And I think that’s how it should be. It’s a quick counterattack absolutely vital for 1vsmany situations.

Although there might be times where you felt it was cheap your opponent could target switch with unflinchable attacks, it’s a better alternative than constantly getting flinched left and right without a way out.

So I vote no. I think unflinchable ripostes are one of the few things that make 1vsmany situations survivable.

• @Rickvs:

It’s a quick counterattack absolutely vital for 1vsmany situations.

Pretty much this. It would suck to be completely locked out from doing anything when fighting multiple players.

• @Rickvs:

You currently can’t flinch or feint a riposte.

And I think that’s how it should be. It’s a quick counterattack absolutely vital for 1vsmany situations.

Although there might be times where you felt it was cheap your opponent could target switch with unflinchable attacks, it’s a better alternative than constantly getting flinched left and right without a way out.

So I vote no. I think unflinchable ripostes are one of the few things that make 1vsmany situations survivable.

Well this guy pretty much summed up my thoughts. I started with a semi-rhetorical question that everyone knows the answer to, which was later going to elude to his post.

• I would like to have the first half of the riposte to be flinchable, that way then 2 attacks come very closly timed togethere you got to double block then riposte instead of block riposte hittrade

• tb pls bring back the ability to parry with a riposte

• @Ranulf:

tb pls bring back the ability to parry with a riposte

That would at least stop the hittrading but is kind of more frustrating for the attackers

• Ripostes should not be flinchable. It’s part of the visual queue: you see an enemy riposting? Dodge it, parry it, or hit trade it. Flinching should never be part of that equation. You need to make that decision quick and have good judgement consistently. It’s part of what makes this game so fun. Adding flinch will just make Chivalry: Back pedal hit trade Warfare even more prevalent and worse.

• @SOC:

Ripostes should not be flinchable. It’s part of the visual queue: you see an enemy riposting? Dodge it, parry it, or hit trade it. Flinching should never be part of that equation. You need to make that decision quick and have good judgement consistently. It’s part of what makes this game so fun. Adding flinch will just make Chivalry: Back pedal hit trade Warfare even more prevalent and worse.

The problem is that a riposting enemy can force a trade on you even if you attack him light years prior to the “visual queue”. I think it’s incredibly stupid that you must hold off using any attacks until you can confirm that your opponent isn’t going for a riposte to stay safe, instead of coordinating your attacks with your teammate.

It only makes sense to me that the single player in a 1vN situations should hold off their riposte until a safe opportunity is risen (which is not as uncommon as you people make it seem), acting on the regular mechanics of the game rather than giving him a bullshit handicap that strides against any sense you’d make of the mechanics.

That’s just how I feel abiout it, anyway.

• 1vsN feels like one of these Batman games there only one person at a time can attack you. If you try to coordiante with your teammate then you will just get ripostetraded.

• Ripostes don’t have a windup. Loading screen tip.

• @ashvins:

Ripostes don’t have a windup. Loading screen tip.

clearly not true

• @zombojoe:

clearly not true

What’s the wind up size of the riposte? must be really small. I thought ripostes had a windup until i saw that loading screen tip lol

• I thought a riposte was a regular attack but it just doesn’t show an animation windingup, just the position of windup, then a release.

• @ashvins:

What’s the wind up size of the riposte? must be really small. I thought ripostes had a windup until i saw that loading screen tip lol

you got trolled by TBS, we dont know the the riposte times, people even suggested that the ripsortewindup is as long as the normal windup .
    The blockanimation is played before/while/simultanius windingup and after that maybe the engine compresses the the rest of the windupanimation making it look faster

• windups are the same, its the animation morphing that is different

if you wait and do a regular attack after parrying you would have to wait 200ms afaik

thats why riposting with fast weapons isnt always a good idea since you can do regular attacks for more or less the same effect while still retaining the possibility of feinting or feinting to parry

• I’d just like to mention in this thread since it is somewhat relevant to the topic, that I think some riposte attacks should be slowed down. Some. Not all.

For example, a lot of stab ripostes in this game are insanely fast such as sword of war, longsword, shortsword, saber, claymore, fork, norse sword, broadsword and a few others.

Overhead ripostes can also be stupidly fast sometimes but mainly on weapons like greatsword which in itself should be getting a nerf, so I don’t really have a problem with overhead ripostes.

Stab ripostes are the worst ones to deal with really as they hit so fast sometimes that I can’t even parry them even if I know they are coming. Even if I spam click my parry button when my attack is in release in anticipation that they will parry my attack and riposte with a stab it sometimes isn’t enough. I have to pretty much assume a stab riposte is coming in order to parry it sometimes.
    A lot of the time I don’t even have time to see the animation before the attack has hit me which leads to a lot of bullshit moments in the game. A lot of the time I wont even see the riposte at all because literally as soon as I hear the parry noise I am hit lol.

In my personal opinion I think stab riposte attacks need to be looked into. Stab ripostes are one of my biggest issues with the game at the moment and really ruin it for me.

• @B4RK:

The problem is that a riposting enemy can force a trade on you even if you attack him light years prior to the “visual queue”. I think it’s incredibly stupid that you must hold off using any attacks until you can confirm that your opponent isn’t going for a riposte to stay safe, instead of coordinating your attacks with your teammate.

It only makes sense to me that the single player in a 1vN situations should hold off their riposte until a safe opportunity is risen (which is not as uncommon as you people make it seem), acting on the regular mechanics of the game rather than giving him a bullshit handicap that strides against any sense you’d make of the mechanics.

That’s just how I feel abiout it, anyway.

I don’t think it’s stupid, I think it’s great and makes you pay a price for grouping with a team mate. It’s a good dynamic to a group fight that, again, forces you to make quick decisions and have good judgement when you’re attacking, both as the single man and the grouping team, rather than just easily killing someone 1vs2+ since he has no chance. A riposte not being flinchable makes total sense of mechanics to me, but I guess that’s because I’ve played since closed beta.