144hz monitor

• I’m think about picking up a 144hz monitor to try and play at 120 fps or at least 100. I’m just wondering which monitors those of you that play at really high FPS are using? Also what your rig is and what settings you play on? I’ve heard a lot of mixed reviews on how 144hz TN panel monitors look really washed out compared to 60hz ISP panels. Anyone have any experience with this? I’d like for the game to be a lot smoother then it currently is for me with my 60hz TV but I’d just like to hear some from people who actually play on higher refresh rate monitors.

• Mod

I recently bought a 144hz monitor (ASUS VG248QE) and I’ve been loving it so far. Everything’s just smoother in general, immediately noticed the lack of motion blur while turning left and right (+lightboost and there’s no noticeable blur unless I spin really fast). Double the framerate double the skill.

I easily get a steady 120fps with the settings on low/medium, GTX 760 and i5 4670.

• This page is great, you can read everything there: http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/120hz-monitors/

I have a BenQ XL2420Z and love it. I never had an IPS panel though, so I am not really sure what I am missing (apparently a lot).

• I would like to know your computer specs to see if you can comfortably run Chivalry at 120fps. I have 2x R9 280X cards, but since AMD Crossfire adds very little perfomance extra in Chivalry I usually play without Crossfire (only one GPU running the game).

I had to tone down some of the settings (on BenQ XL2420T 144hz) to get a constant 120fps in TO maps with 24+ players, and depending on your GPU, lowering your graphical settings may be required. In some maps the FPS can momentarily dip below 100 (at around 100 the FPS drop is noticeable, but even 90fps is still playable). Once you get used to gaming at 120+ Hz you will notice that ALL 60 Hz monitors feel really laggy and choppy, so for gaming I wouldn’t recommend anything other than 120+ Hz.

For my second monitor I have a Dell U2414H 60 Hz for color work (I’m a graphical designer so I know a thing or two about color). I, like everyone who owns an IPS monitor, can easily spot the difference between IPS and TN, but since you’re not already used to an IPS panel, the weaker color reproduction will definitely not be a problem in fast-paced games you run at 120-144 Hz if you have the patience to calibrate your 144 Hz monitor (takes 2 minutes to download a color profile and set brightess/contrast and RGB levels from the monitor OSD).

If you play a lot of fast-paced games where almost 2,5 times more frames is more important than accurate color reproduction (which you will not notice when gaming anyway), you should definitely get a 144 Hz monitor.

P.S. like Kim Jong Kill said, at 120 Hz there is very little motion blur, and if you enable Lightboost there will literally be no motion blur at all.

P.P.S. reading feints is a lot easier on a 144 Hz monitor.

• I have an i5 3350p, 650 ti boost, and 16gb of ram. I currently have no problem getting 60 fps on high setting minus all the new AA stuff they just added. I think I’d be alright getting 120 based on spooks set up my comp is probably a small step down from that.

My budget would be around $250 for the monitor so I’d be looking at either the Asus VG248QE or the Benq XL2411Z. I’ve heard the Benq looks better but there is a bug with the blur reduction on V1 firmware and apparently there isn’t any way to tell if your getting V1 or V2 until you get the monitor and try it. Does anyone know anything about that?

• Definitely, definitely get a 144hz monitor. Although, if you’re on a tighter budget then I’d recommend a cheaper 120hz monitor. The difference is 100% worth any graphics settings you have to turn down.

• Global Moderator

A 120Hz monitor isn’t bad either. The difference between a 120hz monitor And a 144hz monitor is negligible especially if you aren’t gonna play above 120FPS. But yeah it really depends on what framerate you get. You don’t buy a high refresh moniter just for the hell of it. I have a 75hz monitor but my setup barely sc****s 60 and varies tons.

• i have this : http://www.amazon.com/VG278HE-27-Inch-Screen-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B00906HM6K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1408409574&sr=8-2&keywords=asus+144hz+monitor

there’s a 24’’ model for about 100 bucks cheaper which is basically the same without the extra size of the 27. I prefer the 27 but 24 is perfect for gaming too. The colors on this monitor are gorgeous, response time great, i love it.

I run an i7-3770k, gtx680sc , and 8GB ram (yeah i know i should probably get more)

• @Dog:

I have an i5 3350p, 650 ti boost, and 16gb of ram. I currently have no problem getting 60 fps on high setting minus all the new AA stuff they just added. I think I’d be alright getting 120 based on spooks set up my comp is probably a small step down from that.

My budget would be around $250 for the monitor so I’d be looking at either the Asus VG248QE or the Benq XL2411Z. I’ve heard the Benq looks better but there is a bug with the blur reduction on V1 firmware and apparently there isn’t any way to tell if your getting V1 or V2 until you get the monitor and try it. Does anyone know anything about that?

I can’t help you with the firmware problem, but according to my friend who owns a XL2411T (Z predecessor) they both use the same panel, and you should base your decision on price and brand specific features (looks etc.).

• Alright thanks for all of the help guys :)

• Just remember that you can only run a monitor at 120+ hz if your graphics card has a Dual Link DVI-D port or DisplayPort. HDMI can’t do 144 hz.

• My PC specs are 2500k cpu, 7950 gpu. 8 gig ram.

I’m fairly sure this will be able to comfortably run at 120 fps on 24p servers. Does this gfx card also have the dual link DVI-D port or DisplayPort?

• @gndo:

My PC specs are 2500k cpu, 7950 gpu. 8 gig ram.

I’m fairly sure this will be able to comfortably run at 120 fps on 24p servers. Does this gfx card also have the dual link DVI-D port or DisplayPort?

Yeah it should have at least 1 of those things.

• Yeah it has dual link DVI-D

• Global Moderator

Most graphics cards have a Duel link DVI-D slots I would of thought. Considering my AMD 5670 has one. Well ones manufactured after janurary 2010.

• Mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=928VyYQxKKo

Here’s a good video that shows off how much smoother 144hz is compared to 60.

• is it going to make me a better player? :)

I’m gonna get one next month but i don’t know if it matters in chivalry, certain weapons are just very choppy.

• 144hz? Fuck, I thought 120hz was what I wanted.

At any rate, you guys have no idea how much I envy you. They don’t sell this kind of displays where I live (freaking import policies). The best thing in the market was a 23" LG monitor with an IPS panel that runs at 75 hz (on HDMI). If I wanted to get one of these higher rate displays, I’d need to invest as much money as 3 months of rent, maybe even more ;_;

• Global Moderator

@Kim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=928VyYQxKKo

Here’s a good video that shows off how much smoother 144hz is compared to 60.

Lol that’s bullshit. First of all 60hz isn’t as clunky as shown in the video. Secondly a screen recorder records at your Framerate not your screen refresh rate. Thirdly YouTube will adjust all videos to 30FPS anyway. Fourthly it depends on what screen you are watching that video on to an extent. And even if they used a proper camera which is the only practical way to show the Difference the camera would have to be recording at 144hz itself.

Yes a 144hz screen is way smoother than a 60hz screen. But there’s so many things wrong with that video lol.

• This game is limited to 120 though.