144hz monitor

• Just remember that you can only run a monitor at 120+ hz if your graphics card has a Dual Link DVI-D port or DisplayPort. HDMI can’t do 144 hz.

• My PC specs are 2500k cpu, 7950 gpu. 8 gig ram.

I’m fairly sure this will be able to comfortably run at 120 fps on 24p servers. Does this gfx card also have the dual link DVI-D port or DisplayPort?

• @gndo:

My PC specs are 2500k cpu, 7950 gpu. 8 gig ram.

I’m fairly sure this will be able to comfortably run at 120 fps on 24p servers. Does this gfx card also have the dual link DVI-D port or DisplayPort?

Yeah it should have at least 1 of those things.

• Yeah it has dual link DVI-D

• Most graphics cards have a Duel link DVI-D slots I would of thought. Considering my AMD 5670 has one. Well ones manufactured after janurary 2010.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=928VyYQxKKo

Here’s a good video that shows off how much smoother 144hz is compared to 60.

• is it going to make me a better player? :)

I’m gonna get one next month but i don’t know if it matters in chivalry, certain weapons are just very choppy.

• 144hz? Fuck, I thought 120hz was what I wanted.

At any rate, you guys have no idea how much I envy you. They don’t sell this kind of displays where I live (freaking import policies). The best thing in the market was a 23" LG monitor with an IPS panel that runs at 75 hz (on HDMI). If I wanted to get one of these higher rate displays, I’d need to invest as much money as 3 months of rent, maybe even more ;_;

• @Kim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=928VyYQxKKo

Lol that’s bullshit. First of all 60hz isn’t as clunky as shown in the video. Secondly a screen recorder records at your Framerate not your screen refresh rate. Thirdly YouTube will adjust all videos to 30FPS anyway. Fourthly it depends on what screen you are watching that video on to an extent. And even if they used a proper camera which is the only practical way to show the Difference the camera would have to be recording at 144hz itself.

Yes a 144hz screen is way smoother than a 60hz screen. But there’s so many things wrong with that video lol.

• This game is limited to 120 though.

• @lemonater47:

Lol that’s bullshit. First of all 60hz isn’t as clunky as shown in the video. Secondly a screen recorder records at your Framerate not your screen refresh rate. Thirdly YouTube will adjust all videos to 30FPS anyway. Fourthly it depends on what screen you are watching that video on to an extent. And even if they used a proper camera which is the only practical way to show the Difference the camera would have to be recording at 144hz itself.

Yes a 144hz screen is way smoother than a 60hz screen. But there’s so many things wrong with that video lol.

He wasn’t recording with a screen recorder, he used a 500fps high speed camera and slowed it down in editing. It obviously isn’t showing the gameplay in realtime, so the youtube framerate limit doesn’t matter.

• @Alphonse:

144hz? Fuck, I thought 120hz was what I wanted.

At any rate, you guys have no idea how much I envy you. They don’t sell this kind of displays where I live (freaking import policies). The best thing in the market was a 23" LG monitor with an IPS panel that runs at 75 hz (on HDMI). If I wanted to get one of these higher rate displays, I’d need to invest as much money as 3 months of rent, maybe even more ;_;

From what I’ve seen there aren’t any 120hz monitors being produced currently at least in my price range. So its not that I plan to play any higher then 120fps but that the two monitors I saw under $300 where both 144hz. If there’s a cheaper option that’s 120hz I’m all ears.

@Kim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=928VyYQxKKo

Wow that’s a pretty big difference

• @Kim:

He wasn’t recording with a screen recorder, he used a 500fps high speed camera and slowed it down in editing. It obviously isn’t showing the gameplay in realtime, so the youtube framerate limit doesn’t matter.

So he’s showing it in slow motion lol. Even the 144hz one is stuttering a bit. Kind of a silly comparison. Showing people what it looks like looking at it slower. That video is definitely not playing at what you should be seeing them at. The 60hz one looks like a low frequency CRT screen on its last legs. And the 144hz one looks worse than my 75hz screen. Its slowed down.

• The video doesn’t show or mention what FPS the game engine was running at during the video recording. Still doing that certainly shows that the 144hz monitor running at 144 FPS is certainly smoother than a 60hz monitor presumably running at 144fps.

• If you don’t believe the difference between 120 fps and 60 fps is real then just go to an electronics store and ask to see their monitors. They will always have monitors running at different fps to compare.

• @Noxin:

If you don’t believe the difference between 120 fps and 60 fps is real then just go to an electronics store and ask to see their monitors. They will always have monitors running at different fps to compare.

No such things in Australia/NZ.

• lol We have awesome comparisons.

A big chain store, Harvey Norman, had set up a ‘comparison’ between two LCD TV’s showing ‘Monster HDMI’ cables and how good they are. The comparison was using composite cables…

• and there are people out there that say your eyes cannot tell HA, that’s total bs.

Someone asked whether it will make you a better player? I would think to say yes to some extent, because animations are more smoothed out, i think dragging and feints are easier to read a bit. Also i cannot play at 60hz anymore after 120+. Even the mouse movement feels sluggish in 60hz it’s terrible. Not only are your frames smoother, your mouse movement is much smoother.

I also think that getting any sort of frame drop at 120hz is way better than playing at 60hz solid at all times, unless of course the frame drop is REALLY bad. If you’re getting like 5-15 frame drop on 120hz vs. 60hz, i would still choose running at 120hz it’s just better.

Also to the guy with the price issue. 120hz monitors been out for a while, and screen size is important so pretty much every 2 inches you go up, it’s going to cost about 100 bucks more for those 2 extra inches. Maybe you can find a 22’’ or something in your price range but i’d recommend at least 24. I got a 27’’ myself and love it. for a good one, look to spend about 2-400+

I like asus because they have support and locations here in america, their support is great if you need it, and they make quality shit.

• Playing at 120hz vs 60hz wont make you better in an instant. It will however give you opportunity to learn to play with slightly more information. Over time you should perform a little better because of it. The difference in ability would be small though, nothing that will change the course of a match, unless playing against people of very high skill level where that small difference is the only difference.

• dont people in counter strike still use CRT monitors cuz you can crank up the Hz on them real high?