144hz monitor

• I’ve been rocking a 34’’ monitor for a few weeks and 120 FOV is suddenly a must now. Because of the wider viewing angle the FOV is automatically zoomed in a bit more so to speak. I need to go to 120 to have it even be playable. So your monitor size also plays a role in FOV. in 3440x1440 120 FOV does not give the warped fish-eye effect, it’s closer to 105 FOV on 1080p monitors.

• @Pilgore:

I’ve been rocking a 34’’ monitor for a few weeks and 120 FOV is suddenly a must now. Because of the wider viewing angle the FOV is automatically zoomed in a bit more so to speak. I need to go to 120 to have it even be playable. So your monitor size also plays a role in FOV. in 3440x1440 120 FOV does not give the warped fish-eye effect, it’s closer to 105 FOV on 1080p monitors.

Since this topic is about displays with a 120-144Hz refresh rate and not FoV, I think you got a bit confused while posting :D

• I have a 144hz screen. The difference is huge and I can never go back to 60fps. Even dragging your mouse around on the desktop is much smoother. I think your mileage will vary though, some people can’t tell the difference. Those people will tell you eyes can’t see past 30FPS or 60FPS or whatever.
    Only get a 144hz if it’s a better deal for you anyway, because Chiv doesn’t support 120+ fps anyway…
    Also I have changed my monitors settings between 144 and 120 and I can’t tell the difference, both are silky smooth.

Yes it made me much better at Chiv, again your mileage will vary :P

• I recommend you the BenQ XL2420Z and I think this is what you’re going with, BenQ monitores are generally what I’ve seen most people have

• This is the site that help you choose the monitor you need: http://pcgamerhome.com/best-monitor-for-gaming/

• according to reviews the Asus VG248qe seems to be the only competitor for true 144hz and 120hz since it supposedly has an average response time of ~5ms without having any artifacts/inverse ghosting/rtc errors going on.
    yes it is a late 2012 model but there is still nothing better and monitor manufacutres are making us wait.

If i bought a 144hz, and soon i will, i would not buy a display that only offers somewhat inverse ghosting free experience in return for +8ms response time when the refresh rate is already set at 7 or 8ms.
    of course a 8ms response time display with a 8ms refresh rate is “faster” or at least seem more fluid than a 8ms response time display with a 16ms (60hz) refresh rate, but then u will spend all your time just watching the picutre getting drawn and it will have it barely finished when the screen refreshes again.
    with the Asus VG248QE u seem to get almost crt alike ghosting free experience…

on a crt 60hz display you spend 16ms watching each frame, ok with pulsing lights but this does only make it better while with the horrible lcd displays nowadays you would much rather spend time watching the picture get drawn than the picture itself. lol

then of course there is the lightboost/motion blur stuff witch works better or rather natively on the BenQ models while they all do suffer from inverse ghosting as well (a firmware is supposed to help against that but most models in eu get delivered with v1 and modifying it should anyways void the warranty anyways), but this requieres the fps to constatnly run at the refresh rate.
    surely it is a nice effect but practically unusable for most demanding and mp games.

actually the BenQ Xl2411Z,XL2420Z and the XL2720Z as well as the Asus VG248QE and the Aoc g2460pqu allegedly all have the same exact same panel but still they do do differ at response times.

• hi guys, since some of you have 144 hz monitors. please read this and if you want to try it leave a comment.
    http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/22061-Smoothframerate

• 120 hz is definatelly better than 60hz imho. I cant see the chopeness or smoothness, but i can tell for sure its much easiar to block those fast attacks and tell feints, so it basicly makes you a better player. Cant tell any difference between 120 and 144. You have to consider though that to achieve constant results you will need to be able to keep fps on 120, if you cant then it might be even better to keep it at constant 60fps so you dont get all random :D Bigger size helps telling feints too btw, i used to play on a 60` plasma and and i could see how ppl start pumping blood through their veins getting ready to feint + its cheap, but you have to move ur head if you want to see ur stamina :D

Atm i play on 4k with 60 fps and it sucks big time but swag yolo.

• I love to play games with 144hz gaming monitor. I have ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27″ monitor. I can easily change refresh rate from 60 to 144hz with turbo key. This monitor comes with two inputs.

• Global Moderator

@linapeter001 Please avoid bumping old threads.