Short Spear Gameplay - Could use some feedback!

• I’m not completely sure if this the right place (or way!) to post this, but here we go.

Almost a full 1TB of Chivalry footage sitting in my HDD is about as good an excuse as any to get some video editing practice done, I dare say! My apologies in advance for the bare minimum graphics settings, but that can’t really be helped until I get a better GPU (and other things besides).

I am only just beginning to figure out the editing progress (still a hopeless trained monkey when it comes to rendering), and there’s even a couple of major mistakes I noticed myself after uploading (some clips were cut too short by my transitions, at least one clip has strange ‘motion blur’); every opinion helps!

1. How did you find the audio balance (the music, the game sounds, etc)? This is one of the areas I’ve had the most trouble with so far.
    2. What do you think of the render quality? It isn’t true 1440p, of course (I record in native 1080p scaled down by 25% for performance reasons).
    3. Did you notice any sort of pixelation? I’ve taken a few steps to avoid this, but you can never be sure with YouTube.
    4. What’s your opinion on the colour balance and the sharpness?

And, of course, any advice and observations with regards to the editing or the gameplay itself are more than welcome! Even this simple clip represents a two-sided learning experience for me; the Spear and Knife setup has gotten me seriously addicted to shield bashing all of the things, and I finally found my way around the pan and zoom feature, if nothing else :05.18-flustered:

• So you prefer short spear versus heavy? Just for the speed? I like the heavy as it one shots a lot and has a wicked punch, longer range I think as well but maybe I’ll try short again.

• I main javelins and i usually go with short spear, because it’s fast. It’s so fast that if you power kick a shield user you have time to put one in their head. xD

• More or less what Agent Fluff said; you can throw the Short Spear quickly enough to get a free shot on shield users. If they’re not live to it and let you get a headshot, even better!

Plus, you get six of the things, and can throw them out there surprisingly quickly. It’s my favourite tool for frustrating Vanguards in FFA.

• Nice work! I’d suggest turning on some more decals so you can see where your javelins land.

I’m interested in using the javelin but I haven’t ever really used it. Would you say that the short spear is the best and why? Thanks in advance.

• Hey, thanks! I was having some trouble recording while staying above 60fps before the patch, so I’d knocked absolutely everything down to the lowest possible setting, but that doesn’t seem to be a problem anymore. I’ll keep it in mind for the next time I record.

I wouldn’t say that the Short Spear is the ‘best’, but it’s the one I’m the most comfortable with due to the speed at which you can throw them, as well as the ability to hit things more reliably at longer ranges. Not being able to kill Archers and MAAs in one throw is a big downside, and I consider it to be the worst of the three in melee. It is extremely punishing to Vanguards, though. I don’t think there’s any other ranged weapon in the game capable of killing them as quickly.

Now you’ve got me scouring the interwebs for that Aurane Waters artwork, and I can’t seem to find it!

• There you go. It’s a very well done picture of my favorite character. Also, thanks for the help. I’m actually doing quite good with the javelin and its so much fun.

• I have to say I really enjoyed the vidya, can’t think of anything wrong with it tbh.
    If you are having lag issues and are running a Nvidia GPU, you should try Shadowplay for little to no fps drops.

• Thanks for the input! Stuck with an ATI Radeon 5850(!) for now, which is the cause of most of my performance woes, but I’m definitely planning to give Shadowplay a spin once I upgrade.

• Good job showing off how Op that shit is, fastest projectile, can 1 shot 3 classes. Bloody nerf this shit already.

• @Xylvion:

Good job showing off how Op that shit is, fastest projectile, can 1 shot 3 classes. Bloody nerf this shit already.

Heavy jav is even more OP, though last patch nerfed it a lot. Dat 2shot on knights with jabs.

• @Monsteri:

Heavy jav is even more OP, though last patch nerfed it a lot. Dat 2shot on knights with jabs.

You could also 1hit vanguards with it. Still too strong.

• @Xylvion:

Good job showing off how Op that shit is, fastest projectile, can 1 shot 3 classes. Bloody nerf this shit already.

Free-For-All conditions aside, I feel like I’d rather face half a dozen spear chuckers than two or three Warbows or Light Crossbows working together to turn an entire section of the map into Zig von Zag Zone (someone trademark that). I find the one-headshot kill is not as strong a feature on the Short Spear as on the aforementioned weapons because of the non-linear projectile time to impact, and the poorer perfomance at range in general.

It’s also pretty pathetic in melee compared to the other two variants, not to mention the actual light melee weapon class as a whole. That said, the silly free (head)shot when staggering a shield user probably ought to go. I’m not sure how you would go about fixing it without breaking something else in the proccess, but I can’t see a good reason for it being in the game, either.