Anyone else saddened by the current state of the game?

• So yeah, to start the thread- I’m a Chivalry veteran, who has been inactive for maybe half a year or so and just recently decided to come back. What I saw, well, saddened me.

The lack of unmodded servers with acceptable ping and people in them was one thing, however once I managed to find a decent server with a decent map rotation, I looked upon the battlefield and it was, well, disappointing. Seems like the servers are populated by two kinds of people- rank 40, 50, 60, + players who fight mostly with vanguards using nothing but those ridiculous dragging, twitching and lookdown techniques. Now I know those are technically not exploits, but for a lack of better word I will further refer to them as exploiters. And the second type of player are casual players or low rank newbies who instantly get wrecked by the former. They either try to replicate the same techniques (mostly unsuccessfully) that the other players use, or simply disconnect after fruitlessly dying one time too many while trying to fight, well, like a normal person first entering a melee game would try to fight.

Now it’s hard to describe from an onlookers perspective just how hilarious it makes the battlefield look. Those don’t look like fights going on, with everyone sprinting, spinning and twitching all over the place, it looks like some weird form of modern dance that I’m too old to understand, except with swords.

Now I don’t know just how many people are ok with that. Chances are, judging by the past trends in the forum, the majority will defend what I refer to as “exploits”. But I guess this is why I made this thread in the first place. Is there anyone out there, on these forums, who, like me, is saddened by what the game has become? Or, rather, what the players made it into? When I bought this game and spent well over 500 hours playing it, I did it because it was the best choice on the market that simulated somewhat down to earth melee combat experience. Sure, it was nowhere near realistic, but it was a far cry from what the game is now. I do miss the days when I could actually fight an opponent without him sprinting away in between swings. Those days the exploiters existed, but they weren’t the majority. Finding a server with just, let us say, mundane players, was easily possible. Now the exploitative techniques seem to be the norm and my options are to either give up and join their ranks or abandon the game altogether. It just kinda makes me sad. Anyone else?

• You can always reset your rank via steam family sharing and play on 0-15 servers.

• Better go archer and stay away from them, or yes reset your rank with a new account - seems like a lot of people have done that to go back to training school.

The concurrent users is around 2,200 which is now split with DW so yeah the percentage change of meeting people on the battlefield who have spent 2 or 3 thousand hours using CMW as their part time job is pretty high.

• I think you have the wrong attitude - but as the others said, just create a smurf account or go archer.

• We already established that family sharing doesn’t reset your rank.

• @Velociraptor:

So yeah, to start the thread- I’m a Chivalry veteran, who has been inactive for maybe half a year or so and just recently decided to come back. What I saw, well, saddened me.

The lack of unmodded servers with acceptable ping and people in them was one thing, however once I managed to find a decent server with a decent map rotation, I looked upon the battlefield and it was, well, disappointing. Seems like the servers are populated by two kinds of people- rank 40, 50, 60, + players who fight mostly with vanguards using nothing but those ridiculous dragging, twitching and lookdown techniques. Now I know those are technically not exploits, but for a lack of better word I will further refer to them as exploiters. And the second type of player are casual players or low rank newbies who instantly get wrecked by the former. They either try to replicate the same techniques (mostly unsuccessfully) that the other players use, or simply disconnect after fruitlessly dying one time too many while trying to fight, well, like a normal person first entering a melee game would try to fight.

Now it’s hard to describe from an onlookers perspective just how hilarious it makes the battlefield look. Those don’t look like fights going on, with everyone sprinting, spinning and twitching all over the place, it looks like some weird form of modern dance that I’m too old to understand, except with swords.

Now I don’t know just how many people are ok with that. Chances are, judging by the past trends in the forum, the majority will defend what I refer to as “exploits”. But I guess this is why I made this thread in the first place. Is there anyone out there, on these forums, who, like me, is saddened by what the game has become? Or, rather, what the players made it into? When I bought this game and spent well over 500 hours playing it, I did it because it was the best choice on the market that simulated somewhat down to earth melee combat experience. Sure, it was nowhere near realistic, but it was a far cry from what the game is now. I do miss the days when I could actually fight an opponent without him sprinting away in between swings. Those days the exploiters existed, but they weren’t the majority. Finding a server with just, let us say, mundane players, was easily possible. Now the exploitative techniques seem to be the norm and my options are to either give up and join their ranks or abandon the game altogether. It just kinda makes me sad. Anyone else?

Op is right tbh. Unlike him I have been here since day of release and watched this dancing and other rubbish take over.

• Great attitude bro. All those players that are better than you? Obviously just exploiters who actually suck. Fuck getting better at the game right?

• @lemonater47:

We already established that family sharing doesn’t reset your rank.

It really does though. Depends on how you do it.
    I made a new Windows account entirely. Took me less than 3 minutes, works like a charm.

• Game’s in a pretty great state atm, gonna get even better if TBS doesn’t fuck up the next iteration of the balance patch.

• @Kim:

Game’s in a pretty great state atm, gonna get even better if TBS doesn’t fuck up the next iteration of the balance patch.

but what if they do?

past behaviour is the best predictor of future behaviour

• @zombojoe:

but what if they do?

past behaviour is the best predictor of future behaviour

If they screw up too bad hopefully they can suck it up and revert the patch. Things can feel fine in beta and break when brought to live, it’s happened before.

• I agree with the OP, since the Beta days, players have just exploited combat mechanics and animations. And it just ruins the fun for me, hence why I have only played for a few hundred hours, and developed for over 1000 hours.

TB haven’t made an attempt to fix the exploitations.
    Most players who gave up on the game complain about the exact same thing.
    I got some friends to play the game to help me test my maps out, and they were in newbie servers with players who had reset their accounts or whatever, saying that it’s annoying to go up against people doing wierd spastic moves to win in combat, so they just stopped playing as it’s not a challenge, it’s just purely annoying.

I know that there are skilled players out there, people who do not use exploits, but have great reaction times, who use good tactics, and I actually enjoy losing to players like that, because more often than not, I have epic duels with them that last a while.

But as soon as someone starts doing some wierd spinny upside down back to front whirly overhead stab moves or whatever the hell they are doing, I feel like I just ran into a bug that forced me to either just go somewhere else, or respawn.
    In most cases now, if I see a player doing that stupid stuff, I run off, because it’s not fun at all, it’s just stupid.

You could argue to “L2P”, “Stop whining, get better”, but I will just say, I ALSO know the exploits of the combat mechanics, I just will not use them, I refuse to, it’s stupid, it’s not fun, and players understandably just get angry with you for being a nub.

Torn Banner needs to fix this crap, I posted a while ago when the game was in beta, to fix this crap up, yet it was overlooked despite being agreed upon by others. But also, the same hostility was met with people who used those exploits who didn’t want TBS to remove them, claiming that they are “part of the fun”.

It’s the reason I don’t play, and if anybody starts that crap on my server, they are kicked after 1 warning, because people leave servers as a result of that type of play style.
    It is the reason I don’t play Mount and Blade: Warband. Which is a shame, because originally, I had hoped that Chivalry would have seen what Warband did wrong, and attempted to improve upon it.

• i exploit feints hardcore

its 2 ez 2 gamble stamina for free dmg

chivalry really needs better 1vX mechanics tho, right now you just get fucked if you fight more than 1 guy at a time

buff defensive play PLS

• @Noxin:

Great attitude bro. All those players that are better than you? Obviously just exploiters who actually suck. Fuck getting better at the game right?

Ah, I knew I would run into replies like this. Do you honestly believe that after playing the game for so long I’m somehow unaware of how to pull off these exploits, as I call them? That all those players out there have mastered some skill only attainable by few? No, it’s not the issue. My problem isn’t that I can’t resolve to the same shit to stand up to players like that- it’s that I don’t want to. For me, gaming is a lot about immersion and nothing breaks it quite so well in Chivalry like those weird moves. But it is apparent from the way you responded that you are not the sort of person who would understand. I expected as much. This is hardly the first time I brought these issues up in the forums and there have always been replies such as this. No matter. Arguing about this is not why I came here. I am fully aware that I won’t be able to convince people to see things my way, if they already don’t. The reason I made this thread is because I wanted to see if there are such people at all. Given that this thread had a few positive replies as well, I think I have been quite successful in that regard.

• @Otreum:

I agree with the OP, since the Beta days, players have just exploited combat mechanics and animations. And it just ruins the fun for me, hence why I have only played for a few hundred hours, and developed for over 1000 hours.

TB haven’t made an attempt to fix the exploitations.
    Most players who gave up on the game complain about the exact same thing.
    I got some friends to play the game to help me test my maps out, and they were in newbie servers with players who had reset their accounts or whatever, saying that it’s annoying to go up against people doing wierd spastic moves to win in combat, so they just stopped playing as it’s not a challenge, it’s just purely annoying.

I know that there are skilled players out there, people who do not use exploits, but have great reaction times, who use good tactics, and I actually enjoy losing to players like that, because more often than not, I have epic duels with them that last a while.

But as soon as someone starts doing some wierd spinny upside down back to front whirly overhead stab moves or whatever the hell they are doing, I feel like I just ran into a bug that forced me to either just go somewhere else, or respawn.
    In most cases now, if I see a player doing that stupid stuff, I run off, because it’s not fun at all, it’s just stupid.

You could argue to “L2P”, “Stop whining, get better”, but I will just say, I ALSO know the exploits of the combat mechanics, I just will not use them, I refuse to, it’s stupid, it’s not fun, and players understandably just get angry with you for being a nub.

Torn Banner needs to fix this crap, I posted a while ago when the game was in beta, to fix this crap up, yet it was overlooked despite being agreed upon by others. But also, the same hostility was met with people who used those exploits who didn’t want TBS to remove them, claiming that they are “part of the fun”.

It’s the reason I don’t play, and if anybody starts that crap on my server, they are kicked after 1 warning, because people leave servers as a result of that type of play style.
    It is the reason I don’t play Mount and Blade: Warband. Which is a shame, because originally, I had hoped that Chivalry would have seen what Warband did wrong, and attempted to improve upon it.

Thank you. It’s nice to meet someone who also sees things this way. To be honest, though, it was never likely that Torn Banner would attempt any kind of “fix” to these mechanics, since, from what I gather, they were at least somewhat intended- that’s what they put realtime swings into the game for. But I doubt even they foresaw just to what lengths the players would go to exploit those mechanics, in order to get easy kills. Though some kind of compromise could have been made- like making if the hit connected at the very beginning or end of the swing, so that it would do decreased damage, thus rendering the drags and lookdowns less useful. At the very least, it would make the “correct” swings something to consider. As it stands right now, however, there is no point in not exploiting, since it provides absolutely zero advantages. As I understand, some of the aforementioned improvements found their way into Deadliest Warrior. But if they haven’t yet tried to implement such changes to the regular Chivalry, it is unlikely they ever will.

Indeed it looks that the only way to get a taste of decent combat is to try and band with likeminded players. Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be many of us left. Maybe someday I’ll swing by your server for some classic game experience, eh?

• It doesn’t matter what they do people will never be happy. That’s the thing.

The only exploit is 3rd person. Torn banner or whoever is in charge of the official servers doesn’t seem to want to make more first person only servers. And there are none without the 100%TD. Really annoying going up against someone in 3rd especially GS 3rd lol. Feint the fuck out of them then Tbag. They complain about feinting I say they are in 3rd. Its hilarious when they come back with “but 3rd person is part of the game”. So are feints.

• I disagree with OP because if the windup is part of the damage giving whatchamadoodle, then if it intersects another players model, it will cause damage, regardless of whether or not they are behind them. Moreover, when players do a Reverse Overhand (Which I assume you’re reffering to) and you parry them, about 50% of the time you can either do a lookdown on them, and if you can’t, they are likely doing a snap parry anyways, wait a moment, or feint to give yourself the mental timing, and score a strike.

When someones back is to you it is not an advantage for them. I like the game’s combat, despite how some people have chosen to view it. Adamantium Spine Technique is just part of it, and counterable.

• I sympathize with your position, OP. The most enjoyable fights, I find, are those like Otreum describes:

For a lot of the more experienced players, it would seem the desire to win at all costs has replaced the desire to simply have fun. But, who knows, perhaps they enjoy pulling off impossible contortions and the like. I can’t really fault them for pushing the limits of the game, but Lord knows it’s a rarity to find another veteran player who’s up for an extended fight without any of the silliness.

• @DaciaJC:

I sympathize with your position, OP. The most enjoyable fights, I find, are those like Otreum describes:

For a lot of the more experienced players, it would seem the desire to win at all costs has replaced the desire to simply have fun. But, who knows, perhaps they enjoy pulling off impossible contortions and the like. I can’t really fault them for pushing the limits of the game, but Lord knows it’s a rarity to find another veteran player who’s up for an extended fight without any of the silliness.

If you people enjoy playing at a very low level and refusing to use game mechanics that TB have said that they completely support, that’s your own choice. But don’t start whining about mechanics that you refuse to use asking TB to change it, or denouncing the game for it. They aren’t going to change, ever. That’s like asking strafe jumping to be removed from Quake or saying sticky jumping should be removed from TF2. They’re core mechanics that make the game what it is. If you want to play a medieval combat simulator, check out War of the Roses, I hear they have a large community. (kek)

• @Noxin:

But don’t start whining about mechanics that you refuse to use asking TB to change it, or denouncing the game for it. They aren’t going to change, ever. That’s like asking strafe jumping to be removed from Quake or saying sticky jumping should be removed from TF2.

Wat. Nowhere did I plead for TB to change the mechanics or outright remove certain abilities. I was simply voicing my agreement that fighting with players who employ those tactics to their utmost, or “exploiting” (for lack of a better word) those mechanics myself, isn’t particularly fun.