[WIP] Flamberge - Zweihander skin

• Hello,

We’ve been seeing very good quality skins from the community already after only a week when TBS announced the new workshop features. I’ve been very excited aswell and here I bring you the result.

**_The Flamberge

_**-Based on the Zweihander
    -LOD0: 3876 Tris
    -2048x1024 px maps
    [New images from 09/03, feedback needed]

See the full model turn arround here: https://skfb.ly/AZOR

And now some topology renders

I would gladly appreciate your feedback about the design and the texture colors I picked.

Feel free to ask any workflow questions as I’ll be happy to answere them.

• A cool looking variation on the zweihander!

I’m not sure if it’s the lighting setup or the materials, but the actual blade of the weapon isn’t as convincing to me as the metal on the handle.

I think that the wood handle would look better if it were modeled, since the valleys between the wood rings are very large for a normal map to look convincing IMO. If there aren’t enough polys to model it, maybe a handle with smaller valleys in between will look better if done solely by normal map and textures.

The edge scratches look pretty good on the metal part of the handle, but IMO they should either be toned down or removed completely from the normal map, it gives a bit of a weird look to the edges.

• Absolutely beautiful. You nailed it.

• @Tom_of_LTS_EAST:

A cool looking variation on the zweihander!

I’m not sure if it’s the lighting setup or the materials, but the actual blade of the weapon isn’t as convincing to me as the metal on the handle.

I think that the wood handle would look better if it were modeled, since the valleys between the wood rings are very large for a normal map to look convincing IMO. If there aren’t enough polys to model it, maybe a handle with smaller valleys in between will look better if done solely by normal map and textures.

The edge scratches look pretty good on the metal part of the handle, but IMO they should either be toned down or removed completely from the normal map, it gives a bit of a weird look to the edges.

Thanks for the feedback Tom, I agree on most of the things you said. The blade texture didn’t convince me aswell and I’ll have to sink more time into understanding the steel and the shape of it. I don’t see the handle using more polys because the actual topology, being a 4 bevel spiral would increase the number of faces drastically and it is usually covered by the player hands in game.
    The edge normal map anomalys are actually a problem I’m having with all my projections from hi poly meshes. They are literally a projection of the void between the HP and LP volumes (see the image below) And I don’t really know how to fix it just yet.

Edit: I already found a work arround for the edge normal problem thanks to a little bit of post processing the normal with photoshop, here’s a little teaser:

• Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh Mamma! Fantastic!

• If this gets added Yarnu will exclusively be an archer hunter forever.

• The normal map issue is typically caused by using a split cage. looks like you bake with hard edges but then smoothed the edges after the fact?

• I would reduce the amount of waves. It looks like you have stick every wave to the sword and the point of the sword doesnt fit to the “flamewaves” imho
    But the rest is really nice!

• @Bonebrew22:

The normal map issue is typically caused by using a split cage. looks like you bake with hard edges but then smoothed the edges after the fact?

Hey, I am using 3ds max for the modeling process but a while ago I decided to stop projecting with Max because I was losing a lot of time and ending with unusable results, so I migrated the projection process to a program called xNormals and it has been working like a charm excepting this edge problem. I did smoothed the edges in the last picture I posted and somewhat fixed the issue but I may take another look at the Max normal projection if you recommend me so.

Anyways thanks for the help, now I’ll work towards finishing the maps and getting it ready to implement it on the engine.

• Ahh, we use xNormal at Torn Banner as well. good stuff.
    my next question would be what engine are you using to render this image? that would affect how your normals are being interpreted and could cause strange results.

if you`d like I can take a look at your model+textures to see if I can offer anymore help that way.

• ^
    That is a real bro right there!

EDIT: Damn it! Second page :(

• @Bonebrew22:

Ahh, we use xNormal at Torn Banner as well. good stuff.
    my next question would be what engine are you using to render this image? that would affect how your normals are being interpreted and could cause strange results.

if you`d like I can take a look at your model+textures to see if I can offer anymore help that way.

The rendering program I am using for the first images is 3DO from the beta quixel suite, IIRC it is running on the marmoset shaders. The results are astonoshing for its simplicity, plus the interconnection with photoshop makes it a very powerfull tool.

I’m very glad to hear TBs use xNormals aswell, I’ve been spreading the praise for xNormals between my artist friends, it is very usefull and time saving.
    What are your baking settings? do you use an external cage? Will you Master reveal me your secrets?

I will provide a download link to the sword via PM, I’ve tweaked the textures a little bit and tried to smooth the normal map edges.

Thanks!!

• Nice skin !
    i was actually trying to do the same skin yesterday xD
    well, im working on a straight zwei now ^^ (but i don’t even if i’ll be able to finish it since im a newb at 3d modelling)
    anyway nice work :D

P.S: does anyone have tutorials to make believable textures/materials (like yours)?

• @imported_Karam:

Nice skin !
    i was actually trying to do the same skin yesterday xD
    well, im working on a straight zwei now ^^ (but i don’t even if i’ll be able to finish it since im a newb at 3d modelling)
    anyway nice work :D

P.S: does anyone have tutorials to make believable textures/materials (like yours)?

Thanks! I totally knew that was about time that someone reskinned the zwei to a flamberge blade so I decided to rush it myself :P

Straight blade zwei could also be very appealing, I was thinking something like a Montante (the “zweihander” you would find about the same age in Spain). If you let me give you a tip, the harder part to work on is the guard hilt. Try to plan it on papper before stepping into the 3D and model with the symetry on mind.

For the textures I would recommend you to learn how to use the Quixel suite, the creator has a very indepth depiction of his programms (1h long tutorials) after you sucked all the official tutorials, getting a good texture will be just about time and practice, I am still practicing myself but I will accept your compliment :D

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions

• All right thanks for the tips ! I went with a very simple guard so for now it’s not really a problem :P
    for quixel, i’ll look into it.
    (very early WiP :D)

• Update:

I redid all the maps based on the feedback I recieved. I think now it’s closer to the final form but first I need your opinions.

You can watch the 3D model here https://skfb.ly/AZOR

I’ll replace the renders in the main post later in case I find some plausible feedback on this new textures.

Thanks to Bonebrew22 for helping me out with the baking problem.

• I like it all but the waves of the blade.

I will try the Xnormal, I never saw it.

• Today I uploaded the main post with new renders, my plan is to wait for your feedback untill next week where I’ll be finishing the model and get it ready in the SDK, so I can get started in my definitive contest entry set that will take a lot of time.

@leynadix:

I like it all but the waves of the blade.

I will try the Xnormal, I never saw it.

I know it’s a “like it or not” kind of shape but I based my design in actual museum pieces like for instance this pack.

The guard was more an attempt to make it look like it was forged arround early 1400 to fit more into the medieval theme more than renaissance era.