Inspiration for Arms and Armour contest

• I know most people who are contributing to this contest probably already has a mindset of what they want to create, like “This is my chance to do full maximillian plate armour!” or something. Anyways, I thought it would be nice to share pictures with the community with cool medieval (and renaissance/dark ages/anticuity/fantasy as well, because Chivalry doesn’t give a shit and people want different things in this game.)

I start with some cool stuff from an italian museum.

Good stuff for the Vanguard!

Hey, I think I found the Sword of War guys!

I found all these pictures over at this page. They have loads of more cool stuff, although much of it is Late Medieval/Renaissance.

• Holy shit amazing stuff!

• How do people feel about Eastern styled weapons in Chiv? And not just eastern, I’m thinking as far as Thai/Indo/Sudan styled weapons like the Bolo, Kukri, Golok and Perang.

• Middle eastern would be fine. Can’t really go too Far East. A lot of weapons in Europe were influenced or direct copies of Eastern weapons. The warbow is a recurved longbow that appeared after the crusades. The falchion is from a scimitar. The messer is thought to be derived from the falchion itself though it looks more like a scimitar. I thought the word “messer” was just the name thy gave to that sword as it would mess you up but messer is German for knife. I thought Dolch was knife but apparently messer means knife too. Its great knife or große Messer in German.

• Not entering this contest but I’d like to point out that vikings used a really brilliant pattern weld when they made their swords, so I think it’ll make for a nice looking texture. Pattern welding in general just looks so damn good, doesn’t even have to be a nordic sword.
    http://www.vikingsword.com/ethsword/pat06.jpg
    http://www.templ.net/pics-weapons/110-viking_sword/110-damask_blade.jpg

If you’re going the eastern route I think a Dao or Dadao (meaning big knife) would be a good skin for the Messer, sometimes they can have these rings on them which look damn good, if you’ve ever seen the movie fearless there’s a cool fight scene with one of these.
    http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/945930392_1/G31681-Vintage-Chinese-Step-battle-nine-font-b-ring-b-font-font-b-broadsword-b-font.jpg
    http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=67138&stc=1
    Also a jian might be suitable for a sword of war or broadsword skin, they usually have this sort of pompom thing on the handle but I don’t know how well that would work in game

Personally I’d love to see some sexy one handed axe designs, something with a curved handle kind of like the dawnguard axe’s shape but a bit more extreme. Maybe something far fetched for the Dubaxe, like basically a circular saw stuck to a stick. Just throwing ideas I guess.

Although what I want to see the most would have to be the more novelty weapons: sling and their rocks, Bunnings hammer, knucklebusters for fists and trident javs (that escalated quickly)

• @lemonater47:

Middle eastern would be fine. Can’t really go too Far East. A lot of weapons in Europe were influenced or direct copies of Eastern weapons. The warbow is a recurved longbow that appeared after the crusades. The falchion is from a scimitar. The messer is thought to be derived from the falchion itself though it looks more like a scimitar. I thought the word “messer” was just the name thy gave to that sword as it would mess you up but messer is German for knife. I thought Dolch was knife but apparently messer means knife too. Its great knife or große Messer in German.

I wouldn’t agree that a falchion, a scimitar and a messer have that much in common. They are all single-edged, true. Scimitars are more like sabers, with that extreme curve. It’s related to the shamshir and tulwar, which look much much more similar. Falchion and messer didn’t need to have any significant curve either.

Falchion
    Messer
    Scimitar

Here’s a video about the messer and the reason to its name:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcLcsvw8rw0

• @SavageBeatings:

I wouldn’t agree that a falchion, a scimitar and a messer have that much in common. They are all single-edged, true. Scimitars are more like sabers, with that extreme curve. It’s related to the shamshir and tulwar, which look much much more similar. Falchion and messer didn’t need to have any significant curve either.

Falchion
    Messer
    Scimitar

Here’s a video about the messer and the reason to its name:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcLcsvw8rw0

I read that the messer came from the falchion and that the falchion originated from the scimitar. It eventually became a flat blade but early falchion’s were curved like the scimitar and came about during the crusades.

The sabre was a much later weapon. In fact the sabre in this game is an 12th century Eastern European weapon that got classed as a sabre but its origins unknown. But that sabre didn’t influence later sabres. It was just a weapon that appeared then disappeared.

• Greatsword

Royal Claymore

• @Huggles:

Greatsword

Royal Claymore

ooooh man that gr8sword. its only flaw is that its ugly, and that thing is beautiful. some1 pls make that so i can buy it thx

• Stuff I want:

The weapon used to cleave a man in half in the middle of this picture!

This falchion chopper! (called a “Godenak” apparently)

Both weapons as replicas

The Maciejowski bible is an awesome piece of art.

• @SavageBeatings:

The Maciejowski bible is an awesome piece of art.

Oh i was planning the bottom right one for a falchion reskin for my Royal Guard MAA set :), and the far left one is a shorter war sycthe i think

• The Maciejowski bible also largely exaggerates what weapons were capable of too lol. You can’t cleave through someone’s helmet like that in that picture as well. A two handed sword couldn’t do it either. The force required to do that would likely damage the sword.

So its highly unlikely to chop someone is half too lol. Wearing chainmail and an Aketon. And the weapon went through his spine too lol. There’s lots of gore but it doesn’t show any part of the spine which sorta suggests its made up in the first place. The spine would stop any weapon that hasn’t already been stopped. The macieiowski bible gives us a great sense of what equipment they used. But it largely over estimates their capabilities.

• maybe they had super steel that could cut through anything like katanas

• @zombojoe:

maybe they had super steel that could cut through anything like katanas

Katana’s were sharp and well balanced. But you would completely ruin the thing using it against plate armour lol.

• thats why there was no such thing as plate armor in japan lol

• @zombojoe:

thats why there was no such thing as plate armor in japan lol

Pretty much. They only used very small plates in combination with leather and sometimes chainmail. Wasn’t till they got some western influence when large breastplates came about and even then they were rare.

The Japanese warrior was highly mobile. Wearing full Japanese armour hardly impeded your movement at all and it didn’t have much of an effect on your stamina either. You could still breath fine and it was open to the air in many places so you didn’t overheat easily. Their skill with the katana was their defence.

• Although samurai mostly fought with bows or spears and the katana was a backup weapon.

• @SavageBeatings:

Although samurai mostly fought with bows or spears and the katana was a backup weapon.

thats not what movies show

• i could be wrong but wasnt japanese armor incredibly bulky and heavy since it was made out of copper and leather

plate armor is quite mobile and light in comparison