Arrow velocity and bow mechanics

• Hello to all. New to the game and so far love it. Is been a while since I got this excited during game-play. Congratulations to the devs in making a really fun game.

I have some concerns about the bow, and I wanted to see what others think of it so far.

After playing for almost 2 hours with the bow exclusively I feel there is something off about it. I’m hoping others can help me pin point it a bit better. The damage for the most part feels fine, at least to me it does

The first thing that bothers me is the draw time. I think it could be speed up just a bit more. Right now is really hard to take on targets of opportunity as by the time I fully draw the chance has pass.

The next thing is the arrow speed. Is really slow. It travels so slow that even shots at medium range are difficult to make because you have to lead your target to much. In the games fast pace melee all that a fighter has to do is keep moving and your almost guarantee not to get hit by the bowman. I’m exaggerating a bit on that last part of course, i have gotten kills mostly other stationary archers but moving infantry is annoyingly difficult to hit.

Any comments by the community would be appreciated.

• Hey, i played AoC for about 200 hours an most of them were with the archer class. As a veteran the new archer seems a little bit broken to me. I totally agree that the damage is fine but back in aoc the draw was much faster and the arrow was atleast in melee undodgeable. If you dont want to change the draw time then pls set up the speed of the arrows or remove that white shining when they fly so you cannot see them that easily.

• I understand what you are saying, AOC was the same way. I believe the mechanics are the way they are due to balancing. It just takes a lot of practice. You’ll eventually learn how much you need to lead and how high to aim. There are actually some pretty amazing archers already. A few times I kept moving back and forth charging an archer, but they picked me off.

Just give it time my friend and keep practicing.

I think the bigger issue is with the javelin thrower. You have to aim 20ft in the air to hit someone 10ft away and they usually dodge it buy the time it gets there. I used to tear people up with the javelin thrower in AOC. I guess I just need more practice. I do miss the old aiming system though. Use your hand with the javelin and the arrow tip with the archer. I’m not a big fan of the crosshair.

• @y2jrock60:

I understand what you are saying, AOC was the same way. I believe the mechanics are the way they are due to balancing. It just takes a lot of practice. You’ll eventually learn how much you need to lead and how high to aim. There are actually some pretty amazing archers already. A few times I kept moving back and forth charging an archer, but they picked me off.

I think the bigger issue is with the javelin thrower. You have to aim 20ft in the air to hit someone 10ft away and they usually dodge it buy the time it gets there. I used to tear people up with the javelin thrower in AOC. I guess I just need more practice. I do miss the old aiming system though. Use your hand with the javelin and the arrow tip with the archer. I’m not a big fan of the crosshair.

I’m not sure that once we get more skill with the bow it will compensate for the weapons mechanics. The limitations are still there. Slow draw and slow arrow velocity. I can already hit a target at long distances as long as it keeps moving in a predictable directions. How often will that happen in this games small maps which have plentiful natural cover. As I see it now the bow has a very limited use in the game, only viable in certain maps where targets have to go trough door ways or constrictive terrain.

Not sure of the jab, haven’t use it myself, but the projectile seems to be quite fast at the range that I seen it being use. Is definitely very deadly, I will have to try it next.

• @y2jrock60:

I understand what you are saying, AOC was the same way. I believe the mechanics are the way they are due to balancing. It just takes a lot of practice. You’ll eventually learn how much you need to lead and how high to aim. There are actually some pretty amazing archers already. A few times I kept moving back and forth charging an archer, but they picked me off.

My motto is ::even a toothpick can become the deadliest weapon with practice’’. Saying that a weapon gets better after practice does not constitute a valid argument about it being not underpowered.

Bow is extremely hard to use. It’s harder to kill someone with a bow than with a sword : that’s why you need to practice more with the bow, but that’s why it’s also underpowered. Instead of having to practice for hours/days to finally get a decent score with a bow, I can just jump in with a sword and get in the top 5.

• I think that the slowness of the arrows is amplified by latency issues. Lag is a lot more noticeable with a slower projectile.

I also miss how AoC’s bows worked: aiming with the tip of the arrow etc. In CMW I turn off the crosshair since all it does is distract me, but it would be nice if the tip of the arrow was where it used to be in AoC.

I had almost 300 hours in AoC, id say about 80%+ of it as an archer. I took a year or so break between AoC and CMW, so I’m not as accurate as I used to be, but I’m slowly getting better. One of the main differences I’m noticing is damage against Knights is much lower than it was in AoC. Mainly headshots. Also, though this is a new one, you can’t kick with the bow out. What’s the deal with that? :?

I also think you were able to swap weapons a bit quicker in AoC as well. I’ve noticed my weapons getting stuck while switching, showing my sword/dagger, but not working until I swap to bow then back again.

Hitboxes feel a bit off as well. Shoot the empty space to the side of someone and the arrow hits and floats there, but when you hit them directly in the face it just clips through.

Anyway, the game just came out so I’m hoping they take some of the feedback into consideration.

• I agree. The bows damage is perfect but the arrow speed is incredibly slow. I was playing all day and spent a lot of time with the bows. Once I unlocked the Warbow, I started playing other classes because it just wasn’t fun anymore. I remember the bow being much easier to use in AOC. You could actually hit with it in close to mid range. I don’t know why, But it seems like you have to lead your target way more in close range than you have to at mid-long range. Why is this?

• I have to partially agree and partially disagree with this assessment. I think base projectile damage is much too high. A single bodkin arrow from the shortbow, for example, does the same as a broadsword stab, while also having a higher multiplier bonus for headshots. I like the higher multiplier for headshots - I think it should even be increased to 1.75 or 2 - but at the same time, body hits are too rewarding for how easy they are, considering as an archer you’re completely safe from melee fighters as long as you have decent situational awareness.

I would hugely support an increase to projectile velocity but only with a reduction to base arrow damage, and an increase to headshot modifiers so that headshot damage stays roughly where it is at the moment. That would do wonders to separate the poor archers from the good ones.

• Just going off a few brain-storming ideas:

It would be cool if the archer drew back faster. The shortbow has such a miniscule difference in draw speed I found it to be the crappiest weapon in the game, especially for how much damage it lacked for such a pitiful draw.

I would suggest making the draw go fast, the aim unsteady, then once completely set back, the aim settles down to be precise. Also makes it more realistic; I mean I would never draw an arrow as slow as my character does if a knight is charging up into my face.

Also I noticed the aim off as well. Now I haven’t played the archer much, but I do feel it a bit more inaccurate than in other archery games. Not that I mind, afterall, archers are a pain in the ass.

Idk. Maybe I’m wrong. I’ll give it some more testing, but this is what I’m finding after pulling an all night and playing the archer for maybe 1/3 of the night.

• Javelins also need a projectile speed increase, I played much javelineer in AoC and the javelin in cmw feels just…wrong. i’m not talking about damage here, but you can’t throw this thing farther than 20 meters…and getting a javelin ready to throw takes ages, it just feels very unresponsive to me. So…buff all projectile speeds (arrows/javelins) please :D

• Yea I don’t like the new bow either. The Crosshair blows. The draw is really unrealistic…don’t agree, go try and pull a longbow back that slowly and tell me how accurate you are. The velocity is off.

AoChiv was much better with its bow mechanics. It went off the arrow, the draw was decent and the arrow drop was good. I don’t see why you would rework the entire system when the original archer was pretty damn good, and had a high skill cap to it through accuracy. Now its so easy with the crosshair it isn’t even funny.

Hitboxes seem to be off a bit as well, I have seen plenty of arrows just sail right through someone inflicting no damage (arrow cam).

I do like the arrow follow cam though, thats pretty interesting.

EDIT: Thought I would throw up some of my original AoChiv stats

Playtime: 154h 20m 59s
    Kills: 13,670 HeadShots: 1,438
    Assists: 3,172
    Deaths: 6,409
    K:D Ratio: 2.13 Highest K:D: 64:0

This is all with the longbowman just about… I didn’t really like playing anything else

• If this game had AoC Combat, I would actually play longbow men.

Right now you need more than 2 shots to hit and I’ve LITERALLY SEEN MY ARROW PASS THROUGH A GUY, and when I asked him, he said he saw it ghost through him as well, so it was not lag, we both had 30-40 ping. It happened to me as well before, I’ve seen an arrow go through me. I’ve also seen an arrow hit 1 foot to my right and still hit me. That kinda shit is annoying.

• I have to agree about the complaints with the bow, and TB’s assessment in his review. The bows are not all that satisfying to shoot and the accuracy seems hindered by the low velocity of the arrow. I hope you guys respond well to the critique given and make improvements to archery as I feel the AOC implementation was actually better than in Chivalry.

• Crossbow velocity is ridiculous. Crossbows don’t work that way. It has velocity of a stone thrown by a 6 year old girl. It feels like i am throwing bolts with a spoon.

Also heavier the crossbow is, the faster and less-arcing bolt should be.

• Think part of the issue is the clunky aiming system that’s used for the bow and crossbow, it feels unresponsive most of the time and requires to remain completely still or else it cancels randomly. The crossbow take aim is way too slow as well, and the bow drawing feels like you can’t react in time to small movements of a target.

• Velocity seems way off for a crossbow and a longbow. Also the drop does not equal firing a fully drawn longbow with an aerodynamic arrow…

Was the ranged weapons made this way because of concern for people camping at one end of the maps? Maybe not make the ranged like M&B, but at least increase the velocity and decrease the drop a bit.

• It suffers from the same syndrome alot of shooters that have started adding bullet drop have.

Because the size of the maps are so small, they adjust drop to compensate. You see this in BFBC2, and Chivalry obviously, as it starts to drop the second it leaves the bow. Highly unrealistic.

• @deej-ld:

I have to agree about the complaints with the bow, and TB’s assessment in his review. The bows are not all that satisfying to shoot and the accuracy seems hindered by the low velocity of the arrow. I hope you guys respond well to the critique given and make improvements to archery as I feel the AOC implementation was actually better than in Chivalry.

Yeah Total Biscuit did said ranged, especially bows, is weak in this game : in terms of mechanism and balance. His video on chivalry vs WotR kinda shows that he can make some serious, really professional video game criticisms.
    I hope the devs take his feedback into account. It’s true that when you compare ranged in chivalry to AOC/WOTR, it isn’t as great.

• What are you talking about.
    Archery is so easy and so strong its retarded.
    Most tournaments are going to be archer decided 70% of the time I’m positive with the other classes focusing on protecting the archers.

It’s easy to aim, easy to hit, high damage class. Not to mention the range is insane.
    Sure when enemies get close to you it gets tricky… what do you want to solo knights easily? Oh wait there’s a secondary club that allows you to 3 shot knights and is really fast and spamy… move along…

Edit: Also I really don’t know why people put so much weight on the value of totalbiscuit’s reviews.
    Never seen him be good at any game or really grasp how they will really work in a competitive level.
    Sure he is good for publicity, but I’d never take a “how to” advice from him lol.

• I don’t look too much into what TB ever says, I was only saying I happen to agree with him on his assessment of using the bows without personally feeling the need to restate what has already been stated by him. I formed my own opinion even before watching his review.