Arrow velocity and bow mechanics

• I generally get close to twice K:D ratio even when enemy is actively chasing me because i am annoying crossbowman.

You are underestimating archery a little, i agree that archery is a little underpowered but not as much as you put it. Also archery is basically hardest thing to do in this game.

• @frozenknife:

I generally get close to twice K:D ratio even when enemy is actively chasing me because i am annoying crossbowman.

You are underestimating archery a little, i agree that archery is a little underpowered but not as much as you put it. Also archery is basically hardest thing to do in this game.

Javelins are the hardest in my opinion, at least long distance. Would you consider that as archery?

• @Juvante:

@Frontal:

What are you talking about.
    Archery is so easy and so strong its retarded.
    Most tournaments are going to be archer decided 70% of the time I’m positive with the other classes focusing on protecting the archers.

It’s easy to aim, easy to hit, high damage class. Not to mention the range is insane.
    Sure when enemies get close to you it gets tricky… what do you want to solo knights easily? Oh wait there’s a secondary club that allows you to 3 shot knights and is really fast and spamy… move along…

Edit: Also I really don’t know why people put so much weight on the value of totalbiscuit’s reviews.
    Never seen him be good at any game or really grasp how they will really work in a competitive level.
    Sure he is good for publicity, but I’d never take a “how to” advice from him lol.

Before you start posting this BS, make a video of you playing archer and top fragging or at least doing exceptionally well in assists so that you are a valuable member of your team. Because you can say what you want, but until you PROVE it, nobody intelligent takes you seriously.

Archer in this game needs a serious reworking because you are far better off playing another class since you’ll be contributing a lot more most of the time in the majority of situations. Draw time is way too long and any intelligent player is not going to give you the chance to fire off shots or will strafe too sharply to avoid your arrows/bolts.

Damage is a joke and you are better off drawing your blade and engaging targets from behind than shooting your bow 99.9% of the time.

You are a liability to your team most of the time since your targets will be surrounded by your team. Your probabilty of hitting your team is very high. It’s like rushing into the battle with a flamethrower and having friendly fire turned on, you are going to burn EVERYONE and get kicked for team killing.

Shot opportunities are rare and missed quite often due to the slow draw speed and unrealistic projectile speeds. And why are there tracers on the arrows, thats even more stupid.

So lets go over this again.

1. 99.9% of the time archers would be better replaced with another vanguard, man at arms or knight

2. Arrow speed and damage are extremely underpowered compared to the one shotting overhead swing of some weapons or easy 3 hit combo of other weapons, which raises the question of your value to the team yet again.

3. Slow draw speed, slow weapon swapping and being forced to stand still to reload crossbows, make the archery extremely easy to kill and eliminate thus hurting the team, and reminding everybody that he should have played the other 3 classes instead.

4. The archer spends most of his/her time waiting for shot opportunities that are missed 99.9% of the time because of slow draw speed, projectile speed and reload speeds of the crossbow that you end up with a 1:10 kill to death ratio and which is why you never see a archer top fragging or with highest point contribution. Out of the 50 games I’ve played, I have yet to see one, ONE!

The only time I ever get killed by an archer is if i was standing still typing a chat message. Or when he pulls out his sword and starts kicking and stabbing. Other than that, I just strafe and keep a shield up and they are killed in 2-3 hits.

Then I taunt over their corpse for good measure to remind them to switch classes.

PM me when your team of vanguards wants to come fight my team that has archers in it. An archer can 2 shot a vanguard, not to mention I suck at archery and I still say its easy as hell. Now my clan m8s that are actually good at it score k:d ratios of 5:1 easily with archery.

An archer on its own isnt that strong just like any class but combine it with a knight protecting the archer and you’ll have the ride of your life. Unless the archer is bad he wont really miss close-medium quarters.

You can whine all you want but truth is a good archer is very strong, I’d even say probably the most deciding factor in a LTS match by far. It’s actually pretty funny because most scrims I’ve had in this game (scrims = clan vs clan scheduled fights) end up being turtle up the tower/hill where the archers are and if teh enemy team is dumb enough to even try to attack us, kill them all with 0 casulaties because archers get them all under 30% before they get to us.

It’s funny you say archer’s damage is a joke because my team members that play archers keep almost 1 shoting my vanguard, not to mention maa. I guess they aim for the head like you should do?

So my conclusion from this is, you either play against horrible archers, are a horrible archer and team up with horrible archers, or your bullshitting to try and get archers buffed.

• @Frontal:

Do you even play this game? How often do you see an archer at the top of the leader board, 5% of the time?

Shoot …. how often do you see non vangaurd or knight at the top of the leader board?

• @meze:

Shoot …. how often do you see non vangaurd or knight at the top of the leader board?

50% of my games. But that’s probably because I random my class, and thus have a 2 out of 4 chance of not being a vanguard or knight. ;)

• @meze:

@Frontal:

Do you even play this game? How often do you see an archer at the top of the leader board, 5% of the time?

Vanguard and knight are supposed to be killers, it is only normal they top the boards. If MAA or Archer consistently topped the boards, then game would be flawed, in my opinion.

• Just gonna add my opinion here, though my complaint is mostly not about balance:
    Current ranged mechanics are seriously dull to use**, and this is probably the worst implementation of archery I’ve experienced in awhile. It’s no thief, or mount and blade… or even skyrim. This is of course, just my opinion, and that of my gaming circle.

Not only is accuracy completely binary, it does not feel like firing a high powered bolt or launching an arrow has any intensity or tension behind it. Everything lacks both kinetic punch and sound (strangely the opposite of melee, which is quite impactful).
    Gameplay wise, ranged weapons are just too simple, even though it is a nightmare to aim. It really needs an additional mechanic or two.

Some random ideas to spruce it up:
    Give bows a charge-up zoom (like the TF2 bow?) Maybe let us draw another arrow quicker by timing combos correctly.
    Give throwing weapons an arc based on how long they are held, much lower velocity, but unchanging damage regardless of how long you hold it. Or look at how Rune deals with these; when you throw things in rune, you can really feel when it connects with someone.
    Give crossbows the ability to reload quicker with some sort of fumbling system. You spend more time cranking this thing than shooting it, think about adding some variety to it.
    Remove the particle effect trailing weapons. These look like a placeholder to me. Perhaps reducing the brightness would be enough. Or have a light-bending shader trail might be more exciting.

From a balance point of view, archery is not bad at all; when used proficiently. There is however, something strange about the ranged mechanics in Chivalry (small delay on firing before projectile release?), but once people adjust, I imagine they will end up dominating larger-player games. Personally with the current ranged mechanics, I hope that situation never becomes reality.

• @frozenknife:

@meze:

@Frontal:

Vanguard and knight are supposed to be killers, it is only normal they top the boards. If MAA or Archer consistently topped the boards, then game would be flawed, in my opinion.

Archers aren’t “killers”? I’m pretty sure all they can do is “kill”. A MaA could labeled as an “objective capturing” class, but I would argue that as well. a MaA is only 10% faster than a knight and only 5% over vanguard…

And I also don’t think MaA and archers should “constantly top the leader boards”. I don’t think any classes should be expected to top leader boards.

• Archers are support, and are classified as so if you read the class description. So yes, they are not meant to have the most kills, they are meant to soften up enemies for their teammates to finish off. And yet they can one shot 3/4 of the classes with all but three of their weapons.

• @SlyGoat:

Archers are support, and are classified as so if you read the class description. So yes, they are not meant to have the most kills, they are meant to soften up enemies for their teammates to finish off. And yet they can one shot 3/4 of the classes with all but three of their weapons.

So who is an archer supposed to “support” in FFA mode?

• My concerns are the same as yours. This is the reason why the Archer is extremely weak and in some cases worthless in the game.

• @Frontal:

PM me when your team of vanguards wants to come fight my team that has archers in it. An archer can 2 shot a vanguard, not to mention I suck at archery and I still say its easy as hell. Now my clan m8s that are actually good at it score k:d ratios of 5:1 easily with archery.

An archer on its own isnt that strong just like any class but combine it with a knight protecting the archer and you’ll have the ride of your life. Unless the archer is bad he wont really miss close-medium quarters.

You can whine all you want but truth is a good archer is very strong, I’d even say probably the most deciding factor in a LTS match by far. It’s actually pretty funny because most scrims I’ve had in this game (scrims = clan vs clan scheduled fights) end up being turtle up the tower/hill where the archers are and if teh enemy team is dumb enough to even try to attack us, kill them all with 0 casulaties because archers get them all under 30% before they get to us.

It’s funny you say archer’s damage is a joke because my team members that play archers keep almost 1 shoting my vanguard, not to mention maa. I guess they aim for the head like you should do?

So my conclusion from this is, you either play against horrible archers, are a horrible archer and team up with horrible archers, or your bullshitting to try and get archers buffed.

I could say the same thing about you, bullshitting the community with false reality that archers are fine as they are.

And you seem to think, that because you played against incompetent players that were careless enough to get headshot as often as they did. That it somehow justifies the current state of the class.

You’re telling me, that in order to be good at an archer, you need to go for headshots which have around a 5-10% chance of being hit when you fight against a good player. Nobody intelligent is going to stand around, walk in a straight line, or charge out in the open when he/she knows an archer nest is up ahead. So your argument is invalid. Go back and pwn some more new players to raise your self esteem and confidence a little more.

The fact is, you are better off with a player that can rack up 65 kills being a good Man at Arms (yes, i’ve seen it), than a so called “support” class that wounds a player every once in awhile to give his team mates a “chance” at finishing them off. Idiotic mentality.

Yes, against good competent vanguards, man at arms and knights, you will be ripped apart and will get taunted over your corpse. Silly archers thinking you can get past my tower shield, think again.

The different arrow system needs to be dumped into the garbage and replaced with something else that can benefit the class and bring it more on par with the other 3. Damage needs to be increased, projectile speed, and arrow draw speed as well.

And lastly, I could be a pro at fighting ninja’s with a toothpick, but that doesn’t make a toothpick a very optimal weapon to fight with, does it? No. Just because some players get some easy kills here and there and think the class is just peachy aren’t seeing the bigger picture. Balance is balance. Vanguards can one shot archers, while it takes an archer to perfectly line up a headshot or get ready to pump several shots into them before they go down. Nobody competent is going to give you time to do that.

Who would you rather have on your team, some guy with a bow that has to take multiple shots to kill someone with a risk of killing his team, or a guy that can 1-3 shot someone in melee very very quickly. The choice is clear. When have you seen people using the smoke bomb seriously? 99.9% of the time, never. Because nobody really fears archers.

• He was saying it was unrewarding and uninteresting. Not that it was weak ;P

• @frozenknife:

Also heavier the crossbow is, the faster and less-arcing bolt should be.

Agree completely. I think it already works that way because ive noticed a speed difference between Crossbow and Heavy Crossbow. I don’t understand why the Heavy has only 5% more damage though…you would think the Heavy version of the weapon would do much more damage like the Bow compared to the Warbow.

• @meze:

@SlyGoat:

Archers are support, and are classified as so if you read the class description. So yes, they are not meant to have the most kills, they are meant to soften up enemies for their teammates to finish off. And yet they can one shot 3/4 of the classes with all but three of their weapons.

So who is an archer supposed to “support” in FFA mode?

FFA mode isn’t taken into consideration when it comes to game balance. It’s a just for fun mode not meant to be taken seriously.

• I personally don’t want ranged classes to get any kind of buff, be it a faster projectile speed or easier weapon switching. I’ve had enough of snipers dominating other first person games, and it’s refreshing to not have them totally dominant in Chivalry. Ranged classes are still extremely popular here, and as a melee rushing a skillful archer on defense it’s already hard enough to get to him without copping two arrows to the throat.

• @GunSlingerAUS:

I personally don’t want ranged classes to get any kind of buff, be it a faster projectile speed or easier weapon switching. I’ve had enough of snipers dominating other first person games, and it’s refreshing to not have them totally dominant in Chivalry. Ranged classes are still extremely popular here, and as a melee rushing a skillful archer on defense it’s already hard enough to get to him without copping two arrows to the throat.

Game is not 1v1. Don’t try to balance it as one. Also more skill and risk should mean more reward.

• @frozenknife:

Also more skill and risk should mean more reward.

Not sure how ranged classes in a primarily melee game is higher risk…?

• @SlyGoat:

@frozenknife:

Also more skill and risk should mean more reward.

Not sure how ranged classes in a primarily melee game is higher risk…?

When people are clutched it is easy to hit your allies also more often than not even the best of ranged players play on their luck when making long-range shots.

If you were melee instead of range, you could be in melee range hitting people instead. If you aren’t consistently hitting enemies you are wasting the time being a nuisance. Don’t just consider what you are doing but what you are not.

Also the it is a melee game attitude is wrong. It is not a melee game it is a medieval warfare game. I even heard some guy say remove ranged classes so developers can work on melee classes.

• @frozenknife:

Also the it is a melee game attitude is wrong. It is not a melee game it is a medieval warfare game.

Can’t agree more. Every class belongs in the game, or it wouldn’t have been put in.