Why does TO have a much higher ping than all the other game modes?

• A 50 ping difference between TO and LTS is silly. You easily notice when playing on full rotation servers.

• shitty kismet is probably to blame

• @zombojoe:

shitty kismet is probably to blame

what kismet has to do with pings

• @rumpelstiltskin:

what kismet has to do with pings

kismet is a bunch of code that has to be handled by the server in maps, TO is basically all run thru kismet

if you have too much of it, it will cause the server to lag

hillside used to lag like shit until they changed all the ships on the coast to use clientside kismet to reduce server stress

i guarantee this is why citadel and coldfront lag like shit but not outpost

citadel/coldfront have a ton of npcs and moving objects, this not only lags the client that has to render all this information but the server that also needs to keep track of it and sync it in real time

• More things need to be clientside.

More multithreading for the severs would be nice too. Or make it 64 bit.

• Custom TO maps on the same damn server run absolutely fine everyone at 60 ping.

Get to an official map and everyone’s scraping 100 ping. Get to citadel or close front and people are at 130-150.

Why are official maps worse than custom maps it makes no sense. Can’t have more than 24 players on an official map without the pings going to shit. Probably why official servers are all at 24 players. Hell 50 player arena FFA and the average ping was 70. Barely anyone had triple digits rather than everyone having triple digits.

They are somehow gonna screw the custom maps over when they are them to the main game. Its gonna happen I know it.

• @lemonater47:

Custom TO maps on the same damn server run absolutely fine everyone at 60 ping.

Get to an official map and everyone’s scraping 100 ping.

Sounds fabricated because that makes no sense at all - ping has nothing to do with map content, custom maps use the same server side netcode.

• @gregcau:

Sounds fabricated because that makes no sense at all - ping has nothing to do with map content, custom maps use the same server side netcode.

You have to see it to believe it. It makes no sense but it happens. Doesn’t have to make sense.

Similar issues DW had. LTS=80 ping. PTB=150 ping. Though they fixed that.

• @gregcau:

the kismet in most of the official maps is really messy and fucking huge because they tried really hard to make the bots path intelligently

there may be a couple closed loops in there as well lmao

either way the server lagging will make everyones ping higher, something intrinsic to official TO maps is causing servers to lag

• I think your find at certain times this happens ie non EU’s invade the T/O servers during our times. I would tend to agree
    with Mr Gregcau here. T/O is the most popular mode so that with no ping limits or region controls explains this tbh