How is current MAA dodge in any way defensible as a gameplay mechanic?

• @swagfox:

People seemed to whine about the game less last november too…I think the biggest issue is that people no longer suck at the game, and that it holds up poorly at a certain level.

i disagree, the skill level is nowhere near what it used to be, most of the good players left

thats what bothers me with a lot of the balance discussions, alot of of the posters arent even good at this gutted low skill ceiling version of the game

• @zombojoe:

i disagree, the skill level is nowhere near what it used to be, most of the good players left

thats what bothers me with a lot of the balance discussions, alot of of the posters arent even good at this gutted low skill ceiling version of the game

Are you saying these players could just come back after being absent for a year and still be considered among the best?

• @Stinker:

With how absolutely broken the game is, there’s a reason why I never kendo or duel with maa. The low health pool matters when shit goes straight through parries, ghost swings happening after every parry, skipping animation frames, shoddy hit registration. Literally all one has to do to beat a maa in duels is to go knight + norse and just riposte, because you will almost always be able to hit them in the dodge tracer regardless of where their physical model is, regardless of their reaction time, and regardless of how spot on their parrying is. Even the Europeans and their consistent sub 40 ping can testify to this without having to experience how god awful anything over 75 is in actuality. Just stepping back and taking a look at the state the game is in from a competitive standpoint makes this game and TB’s attempts at fixing it laughable. Over 90% of the people on this forum have no clue what I’m talking about, so you guys can gladly ignore me. To the people who actually matter: just realize already how dead this game is. Take a look at the state of the game and the company that runs it; consider all the balancing, coding, marketing, and comp scene of this game and all spinoffs from this company, and realize that there is no point arguing over balance because do you really expect this to matter in the long run? Just play the game for the sake of it, enjoy what hooked you into this game in the first place, and realize that this will never be a thing. Let the children argue and make all the balance changes they want. Let them think they are worth something, because what harm could they possibly do coloring on with crayon something that’s getting thrown out anyways?

dis guy……is pretty spot on. That being said, when people like a product they see what made them like it in the first place, but they refuse to see the flaws with it.

crushed explanation spot on tbh

• @swagfox:

Are you saying these players could just come back after being absent for a year and still be considered among the best?

well the game is a gambling hit trade sim now, most of the skillful stuff back then was with drags and feint calling

forcing hit trades wasnt a big tactic back then lol, you could still tell they were in duels tho

• The only thing left is slasher, but even that so far is kinda disappointing considering that it is 2015 and the maps seem relativly small yet the graphics are kinda sub par. Also the sounds seem kinda repetitive and while the combat looks MUCH better and more fast paced it still doesn’t have that triple A ultra polish feel that a game should have indie or not in 2015.

But our dream game will never come true tbh. An extensive dedicated group of people made by gamers for gamers with Triple A funding and the best in the industry guiding it. Slasher will be 10x better than chivalry no doubt, but it still won’t quench my thirst for this sort of content. I don’t really like the art style for slasher either tbh :P

I like the steel plate set and that’s pretty much all I like. Weapons look solid too for the most part, other skins are pretty ugly :(

inb4 slasher fanboi zombo describes to me whai slasher will be best ever

• slasher is in pre-alpha, almost everything is placeholder atm

but the gameplay is solid as fuck

• @zombojoe:

slasher is in pre-alpha, almost everything is placeholder atm

but the gameplay is solid as fuck

yeah hype more the salt will be so much saltier and i am gonne enjoy dat delicious natriumchlorid
    once it comes out

• @TheFunnySide:

yeah hype more the salt will be so much saltier and i am gonne enjoy dat delicious natriumchlorid
    once it comes out

salty maas will miss their dodge

• @zombojoe:

salty maas will miss their dodge

you mean they actually have to play the game now?

• I will dearly miss immediately hitting the right click button the second I see someone moving their arm, then pressing V the instant I realize it’s a feint.

• All these thread complaining about MaA, you realise the only thing you need to do to defeat a MaA in a duel is to get a long weapon and stam them to death?

• @wyrda78:

All these thread complaining about MaA, you realise the only thing you need to do to defeat a MaA in a duel is to get a long weapon and stam them to death?

i wish it was that simple

• @zombojoe:

i wish it was that simple

tell me how it isn’t then.

• they can run away and dodge back forever

if you are using any of the spear weapons he can get a free hit on you every time you miss, if you attack he can force you to miss by dodging every time

• @zombojoe:

they can run away and dodge back forever

They can’t. Sprint up to a MaA in face-hug distance, they can’t dodge your attack and have to parry.

@zombojoe:

if you are using any of the spear weapons he can get a free hit on you every time you miss, if you attack he can force you to miss by dodging every time

They can’t ‘dodge every time’. If the MaA dodge’s backwards, he’s well out of range to counter. If he dodge’s sideways, you can simply drag the spear into him. Sure a sideways dodge might work one or twice, or in the right situation (and takes a lot of skill to pull off btw), but against someone who’s expecting it and has somewhat good aim, it’s not going to work. It’s unreliable.

• you cant get into face hug range vs maa they can dodge back forever

or side dodge and hit you in the back

• What? Have you played the game? You can only dodge 5 times till you run out of stamina, you have to use a dodge to avoid an enemy attack or get a hit on your opponent, otherwise it’s a large waste of stamina. Getting into face-hug range is as simple as parrying any attacks and sprinting up to the MaA
    I already made my point of how side dodge is counterable and unreliable.

• @zombojoe:

well the game is a gambling hit trade sim now, most of the skillful stuff back then was with drags and feint calling

forcing hit trades wasnt a big tactic back then lol, you could still tell they were in duels tho

Yeah, but I blame this more on the players. I’d say the only thing that encourages hit trading, which is a big thing I’ll admit, is stamina with how limited it is right now, and that fir while sprinting was probably in at that time as well (guessing its been there since release). Literally everyone I play with who calls others “gamblers” or “traders” or “merchants” is a hit trader themselves, but they just whine because they lost the trade and got flinched or played like a retard. I’d argue people would trade just as much or more if they reverted the game to its pre july state, barring the fir while springing line of code that everyone wanted removed. Especially since hit trading vans with an ls would work better since had lower oh windup and would 2 shot, gmace was faster, and all the similar big heavy weps like poleaxe had handlehits. I’d say drags and feints are less effective now because good players ftp out of called feints every single time, which just resets the fight, and because doing an effective drag is waaaay harder now than it used to be, since everyone’s defense is so much better. That’s why I say I just think people are too good at the game now.

• Paragraphs would be nice.

• more parry negation, no sprint lockout, longer feint windows wound make hit trading much harder and less useful

so no

also no maul 1 shot knights