[WIP] Headman's Sword* - Longsword skin

• (*Working title, suggestions are welcome)

So, here’s my attempt at a Longsword skin, particularly an Executioner’s sword. You can see the WIP mesh here: https://skfb.ly/BnUX
    Sorry about the lack of fancy renders, I still don’t know how to make those work.

Some observations:

• Before the 16th century, executions were carried out by regular swords or other equipment, like axes. After the 1500s, executioner’s began to comission square or rounded-tipped swords like the one described in the Wiki article. These new blades were flatter, shorter and not meant for battle. Some had lots of inscriptions and etchings applied to them, denoting how the Executioner was simply carrying out a Judicial order and stuff.
    • To circumvent the lack of a tip, I thought, why not make a piece from a transicional era (inb4 fantasy), where executioner’s swords may have been smithed with broader battle-ready blades and a tip for thrusting, just like a regular 2 hander? I made the tip wider and heavier to keep the balance of sword fit to do beheadings.
    • The handle may look really long, but that was the only way to respect the Longsword template dimensions. You see, the in-game Longsword is beautiful, but it’s also very weird since it does not fit any of the other swords I found googling: the quillons on the guard are original, as well as the general shape of the crossguard.

I’m a huge fan of The Book of the New Sun and Severian’s sword but copyright would have prevented me from publishing it. So I kept some details from it, like the skulls on the crossguard to tell men and women’s edges apart and basic dimensions and that’s it. Other source of inspiration have been all the photos I could find of Executioner’s swords, and also Maximilian I’s sword (link).

A few more refs (album here)

Different executioner’s swords

A detail on the etchings and inscriptions. Notice that wheel next to the blade’s fuller? Executioner’s used execution symbols like Caterine’s wheel, the gallows or sometimes images of the different virtues.

• This version actually looks pretty darn awesome.

• I really like the overall design of the sword, I think it’s very original.
    I see you mentioned that the mesh shown is a WIP but I’d like to see the skulls weld to the crossguard, I think right now they are just too detailed. I also belive that the blade would look even nicer if you add distal taper to it. Looking closely at the sword on the right in the print foto you can see a shadow indicating the cavity and the appearance of distal taper. It should be more favourable for thrusting and overall balance (and chance of beheading?).

• Thanks for the comments so far! I’ll be posting more stuff as I progress with this skin.

@GRAT0R:

I see you mentioned that the mesh shown is a WIP but I’d like to see the skulls weld to the crossguard, I think right now they are just too detailed. I also belive that the blade would look even nicer if you add distal taper to it.

The skulls right now are simply the basis for the proper ones, but yeah they suck. They are anatomycal skulls and I didn’t bother too much with the basic shape. I plan to make them as if they had been hand-carved out of the whole crossguard block, so much of that shape will not be as realistic looking.

Regarding the distal taper, I tried to respect the longsword’s overal dimensions while also polishing (to the best of my very basic skills) a diamond shaped blade and I swear I made the base thicker than the tip. The ricasso portion (almost the same length as the blood groove) is certainly thicker, but moving up the blade the tapering might not be noticeable due the perspective view or perhaps the difference in thickness is not as noticeable as I hoped it would be.

I’ll probably change how the pommel connects with the lower portion of the grip as I’m not entirely happy with how that looks.

• @Alphonse:

the blood groove

It’s called a fuller and has nothing to do with blood.

• @SavageBeatings:

It’s called a fuller and has nothing to do with blood.

Language evolves and adapts, my friend, which is why I referred to the groove in both ways (see fuller in my first post).
    I already knew that it has little or nothing to do with blood, I simply like using synonyms (though ‘tecnically’ incorrect synonyms) :p