The double axe- Chivalry's only fantasy weapon

• Despite the game being set in a fictional world, I am able to find historical versions of all the weapons with the exception of this one. Even more obscure weapons the the fork or maul can be found in history (the maul however, was primarily an tool carried by archers to bang stakes into the ground and was used as an extremely cumbersome and unwieldy ad hoc weapon). There are examples of weaponized double bitted axes being used in history but mostly by eastern cultures and I can’t find any for medieval Europe. A Roman historian (named Agathias, funnily enough) writing in around the 570’s mentions them being used by the Frankish tribes.

The double axe featured in this game appears like it would be far to heavy too use as an effective weapon, even with the short shaft. Just pointing out that it seems the only weapon in this game I can’t find anything like in medieval history.

• And before you say “but they used very heavy weapons all throughout the middle ages!” My answer is that is simply a Victorian-era myth just like Vikings wearing horned helmets. In the middle ages people were no stronger than they are today and if a weapon is heavy to the point of being unwieldy then it is simply not practical as a weapon. You’ll notice that axes used for fighting were made with much smaller/thinner heads than the hatchet in your garden shed. Go and hold that hatchet, try swinging it and tell me honestly that you’d feel confident using it in a fight. If the weight of it throws you off balance when you miss a swing then good luck recovering before your opponent gets you.

• chivalry is fantasy though, look at the citadel

• I can’t find gmace

• And I mentioned that, but the weapons or atleast their base skins are not, with the exception of the dubaxe

• @swagfox:

I can’t find gmace

It’s not the gmace it’s the baseball bat from hell alright?

• I’ve found a french throwing axe that got double blades and also a greek axe called Labrys. A swedish one from 1697, hardly really medieval, but probably based on the French Franciscas used for throwing as well. The turkish tabar was also doubleheaded, but slightly different in its looks. And a few others, but the Double axe seems to be more or less fantasy inspired indeed.

• You’re right, it’s too fantasy-ish and unpractical.

TB pls add more reach to my favorite axe.

• Global Moderator

There’s a polearm that was quite comman to have double axe blades with a spike on the end of it. Its like the halberd of hell.

• Excellent observations, Ready Pineapple.

The huge double axe is definitely a fantasy weapon, not shown in medieval illustrations or documented in historical records. The maul was for alternate use - as a tool and a weapon by peasant levies, certainly not by knights, and made of wood rather than iron or steel.

I used the double axe long enough to unlock the next and more accurate ones, maul long enough to get the grand mace. Using the maul for a few duel yard sessions and a couple of hours confirmed my observations - it’s an easy to learn weapon with great killing power, ideal for noobs and bored level 50s with nothing better to do than run around bashing heads. My K/D ratio went up 30% just by using the maul, and I’m a player who values skill over kills - I’d rather get rekt until I’ve earned the skill with period-accurate weapons than use the maul or double axe just to get my score up.

In an actual battlefield situation, a warrior using a maul or double axe like in the game would become fatigued quickly and be killed in short order. By the 14th century, medieval battle weapons had reached a pinnacle of design and function: little if any adornment, light in weight, properly balanced, and superbly crafted. The game ought to reflect this fact.

So I say: get rid of the double axe completely; keep the maul in substantially nerfed form for those who might have used it: maas and archers - poorer warriors not of the noble classes.

• Umm pretty sure they did have some double bitted battle axes in medieval europe, the blades weren’t nearly as big of course

• The Labrys was a double headed axe used by the Greeks and other ancient eastern cultures (the Turkish had the Tabar). From reading a bit more, I found that they did exist in the middle ages, but more so in eastern cultures where they originated.

• @gamerdude535:

Umm pretty sure they did have some double bitted battle axes in medieval europe, the blades weren’t nearly as big of course

I’ve seen picture of them. The were MUCH smaller.

• Pineapple, you weren’t implying to remove the double axe, right? You were just making a historical point. I like the double axe, it looks cool.

• @Skindiacus:

Pineapple, you weren’t implying to remove the double axe, right? You were just making a historical point. I like the double axe, it looks cool.

That is correct.

• Global Moderator

Looks like an executioners axe. Some of those got pretty extravagant looking. I’ve even seen a triple bladed executioners axe. Had a blade on the top.

• @lemonater47:

Looks like an executioners axe. Some of those got pretty extravagant looking. I’ve even seen a triple bladed executioners axe. Had a blade on the top.

I was thinking the bardiche was more popular for executioners.

• the double axe is a fantasy weapon because it came from AOC nerds

• @zombojoe:

the double axe is a fantasy weapon because it came from AOC nerds

aoc knight skins when

• have you guys even seen the maul in aoc

looks mean as fuck