The double axe- Chivalry's only fantasy weapon

• I can’t find gmace

• And I mentioned that, but the weapons or atleast their base skins are not, with the exception of the dubaxe

• @swagfox:

I can’t find gmace

It’s not the gmace it’s the baseball bat from hell alright?

• I’ve found a french throwing axe that got double blades and also a greek axe called Labrys. A swedish one from 1697, hardly really medieval, but probably based on the French Franciscas used for throwing as well. The turkish tabar was also doubleheaded, but slightly different in its looks. And a few others, but the Double axe seems to be more or less fantasy inspired indeed.

• You’re right, it’s too fantasy-ish and unpractical.

TB pls add more reach to my favorite axe.

• There’s a polearm that was quite comman to have double axe blades with a spike on the end of it. Its like the halberd of hell.

• Excellent observations, Ready Pineapple.

The huge double axe is definitely a fantasy weapon, not shown in medieval illustrations or documented in historical records. The maul was for alternate use - as a tool and a weapon by peasant levies, certainly not by knights, and made of wood rather than iron or steel.

I used the double axe long enough to unlock the next and more accurate ones, maul long enough to get the grand mace. Using the maul for a few duel yard sessions and a couple of hours confirmed my observations - it’s an easy to learn weapon with great killing power, ideal for noobs and bored level 50s with nothing better to do than run around bashing heads. My K/D ratio went up 30% just by using the maul, and I’m a player who values skill over kills - I’d rather get rekt until I’ve earned the skill with period-accurate weapons than use the maul or double axe just to get my score up.

In an actual battlefield situation, a warrior using a maul or double axe like in the game would become fatigued quickly and be killed in short order. By the 14th century, medieval battle weapons had reached a pinnacle of design and function: little if any adornment, light in weight, properly balanced, and superbly crafted. The game ought to reflect this fact.

So I say: get rid of the double axe completely; keep the maul in substantially nerfed form for those who might have used it: maas and archers - poorer warriors not of the noble classes.

• Umm pretty sure they did have some double bitted battle axes in medieval europe, the blades weren’t nearly as big of course

• The Labrys was a double headed axe used by the Greeks and other ancient eastern cultures (the Turkish had the Tabar). From reading a bit more, I found that they did exist in the middle ages, but more so in eastern cultures where they originated.

• @gamerdude535:

Umm pretty sure they did have some double bitted battle axes in medieval europe, the blades weren’t nearly as big of course

I’ve seen picture of them. The were MUCH smaller.

• Global Moderator

Pineapple, you weren’t implying to remove the double axe, right? You were just making a historical point. I like the double axe, it looks cool.

• @Skindiacus:

Pineapple, you weren’t implying to remove the double axe, right? You were just making a historical point. I like the double axe, it looks cool.

That is correct.

• Looks like an executioners axe. Some of those got pretty extravagant looking. I’ve even seen a triple bladed executioners axe. Had a blade on the top.

• @lemonater47:

Looks like an executioners axe. Some of those got pretty extravagant looking. I’ve even seen a triple bladed executioners axe. Had a blade on the top.

I was thinking the bardiche was more popular for executioners.

• the double axe is a fantasy weapon because it came from AOC nerds

• @zombojoe:

the double axe is a fantasy weapon because it came from AOC nerds

aoc knight skins when

• have you guys even seen the maul in aoc

looks mean as fuck

• @Ready:

I was thinking the bardiche was more popular for executioners.

Bardiche was just a form of polearm, popular in Eastern Europe but known elsewhere as well. Most Executioners, from what I understand, actually used two-handed swords. If they used an axe, it would probably look more like a bearded axe than the double axe.

Double axe is more or less ahistorical for western European fantasy (though there is at least one extant example of a double-headed axe from Italy, used as a weapon for judicial duels) but this isn’t a historical game, so who cares. Double axe wouldn’t be any more unwieldy in real life than a pollaxe, since they both probably contain the same mass (actual axe blades for combat are really thin, so even two-handed axes end up being like 3-4 pounds in real life) but a double axe would generally be less useful because you can’t stab with it very well, and it lacks the hammer or spike of a “true” pollaxe.

But, they look metal as fuck.

• Two handed axe fighting techniques at least in the earlier medieval period involved giving yourself room and swinging the axe around. Keeping the momentum of the axe going. This is for weapons like the bearded axe. Their opponents being lightly armoured themselves. It meant everyone kept their distance. So you didn’t need to stab with it. It wasn’t too tiring as once you got the axe going it didn’t take too much strength to keep the momentum going. When an enemy got gutsy enough to engage then you bring it down on him. Footwork is key. As well as fear.

The poleaxe or pollaxe is generally a pretty heavy axe. Designed with plate armour in mind. Generally fought in formations. So stabbing is a must. A blunt end for crushing the armour and the axe head for getting through it. Both ends were about as effective as each other against plate armour. The spike could pretty easily pierce plate armour because of the weight behind it. At the battle of Verneuil the poleaxe won the day. The English archers had been chased off by the mercenary Italian cavalry. The English infantry charged towards the French lines and pliers through. Taking minimal casualties. The poleaxe carved its way through. Much of the French force was Scottish and the Scottish took most of the casualties. The French army ran and was butchered.

A double ble axe would have the weight of the poleaxe but not be as useful as a lighter bearded axe or true same axe. If something like that did hit you it would do considerable damage though.

• This post is deleted!