[WIP] Fauchard-Fork - Billhook skin

• Good day to y’all.

I’m a complete noob with 3D modelling, having only made a few weird swords in Blender in the past. So why not try and and make something for Chivalry? I have zero knowledge in texturing, so you get a good ol’ clay model instead. I am also not that good at placing the lighting either, hehe.

It’s based on this picture:

I will gladly recieve feedback so I can make a version 2 because I know there’s a lot of things I probably need to change on this one. Also, if anyone would like to texture it… give a shout :) If it turns out alright and it’s submitted to the contest, we’ll split revenue if it wins!

• You’ve captured the shape well, good job!
    You should post up the wireframe, with the number of poly’s too.
    Even if you don’t know how to texture, it is worth learning how to construct a UVW map as well, to prepare the model for the texturing process.

Just one caveat about the choice of model - while the shape lends itself to be a billhook replacement, the spike of the fauchard is far below the head of the weapon, which means when you go to use the stab attack, you’ll get this area of tracer that extends beyond the model, because the head curves away from the spike and the spike is not long enough to extend with the billhook tracers. It’ll look like you’re stabbing someone with an invisible piece of the weapon.

• Thanks! I did a little trick called “Upload a photo in Blender and make a model over it” ;)

Changed the model so it’s more stab-friendly:

Fauchard-Forks can also look like this:

Or this:

But the image I began modelling after was the one I liked the look of the most. Anyways, I’m gonna go with this more stab-friendly fauchard instead!

I know I will have to learn everything else there is about modelling eventually, texturing and mapping and all those fancy words :P I will look into it. Meanwhile, the model currently sits at 1700 tris and here is a wireframe:

• If you haven’t already, you should download the billhook model from here: https://tornbannerjira.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CHIVCOM/Billhook

and open both models and resize your fauchard to match the relative size of the billhook.

• thats pretty good m8
    excited to see the textured version

• Thanks, zombojoe!
    Textured version will probably be a letdown though if I am to do it x)

@Gauntlet:

If you haven’t already, you should download the billhook model from here: https://tornbannerjira.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CHIVCOM/Billhook

and open both models and resize your fauchard to match the relative size of the billhook.

Yeah, I’ve tried. I downloaded it but can’t figure out how to open it in Blender. Fixed some plugin that let me import .fbx files, but it won’t show up. I’m not tech savvy so I don’t know what I am doing really.

• Damn, learning UV Mapping is damn boring and kind of complicated…

Anyways, I have an idea for something like a “Polearm Package” for the Vanguard. Skins for all of his pricking needles.

The Fauchard would replace the Billhook, was my plan.
    I’m thinking a Voulge would replace the Halberd. The two middle ones in this illustration is my thinking.
    For the Bardiche, I am thinking some kind of Glaive. Many versions do look similar. I am thinking something like the Glaive here (324). An alternative is the scottish Lochaber axe, seen to the right here.
    A Corseque or similar polearm could replace the Brandistock. Something like this.
    For the Spear, I am thinking something a bit more unique. Unique in that I can’t really find many images of it, just text descriptions. It’s the swedish Swordstaff (Svärdstav) and might look like this1 this2. The weapon is based from this illustration.
    Guess what I had in mind for the Fork? A regular Pitchfork! Who doesn’t want to go on a peasant uprising with that?
    No idea what could replace the Pole Hammer (Bec de Corbin). I mean, its variations like the Lucerne Hammer, look too similar.