Can opinions be used to sensibly enforce rules already made by a legislating body?

• Can any individual legislating body, or rather can any individual enforcing being use legislation and enforce it through their own motives? Can an officer interpret law and go about executing it in any way he deems appropriate? Why that would lead to way too many unnecessary arrests and regulations would it not?

Discuss your views on how this all works, and would a law officer doing so be considered a vigilante.

• Yes, to some extent.
    You have to remember that the police force isn’t there to arrest people, it’s there to prevent crime.
    It’s not like police would just start randomly attacking civilians if we let them.

Take this for example, a cop is probably going to take a murderer more seriously than a shoplifter, and that is because of his own opinions.

• @Skindiacus:

Yes, to some extent.
    You have to remember that the police force isn’t there to arrest people, it’s there to prevent crime.
    It’s not like police would just start randomly attacking civilians if we let them.

Take this for example, a cop is probably going to take a murderer more seriously than a shoplifter, and that is because of his own opinions.

There’s no denying this, good point. However, I was catering more or less to each individual enforcer deciding if an individual broke a specific rule. There would usually be no question when it comes to physical crimes that can be tracked and sought, but what about verbal “crimes”?

What is, and what is not politically correct? This is usually the issue when you start policing internet content though.

A good example is when you start imposing different punishments based off of the intention of the perpetrator. Well sure he might have did something, but why factor in the why? How can you prove 100% that he has a motive?

• law is an opinion with a gun

• @zombojoe:

law is an opinion with a gun

Not when the law has bigger guns

top kek

• @Huggles:

Not when the law has bigger guns

top kek

nuclear diplomacy is very interesting tbh

• @Huggles:

There’s no denying this, good point. However, I was catering more or less to each individual enforcer deciding if an individual broke a specific rule. There would usually be no question when it comes to physical crimes that can be tracked and sought, but what about verbal “crimes”?

What is, and what is not politically correct?

My answer stands, an enforcer does and should decide weather something is worth taking action or not. But again, it’s to an extent; the law is actually pretty precise about what’s okay and what’s not, with little variation allowed.

@Huggles:

This is usually the issue when you start policing internet content though.

A good example is when you start imposing different punishments based off of the intention of the perpetrator. Well sure he might have did something, but why factor in the why? How can you prove 100% that he has a motive?

Second comment: Internet should be free. Down with internet policement.

As for your example… I don’t know. But I’m sure somebody does.

• Officer’s don’t interpret the law. They enforce it. They can enforce it how they choose to some extent, but the ultimate legal punishment isn’t up to them.

So the answer to your op is no.

• I’ve seen these arguments in the past within the more specific realm of huggles questioning the enforcement of forum rules by moderators.

• They read you like an open book huggy hehe. Well played mods on this one. Its almost like bullock the sherif in Deadwood.
    A very good boxset imo. Esp woo

• huggles bait modz top kek lulz huggles too strongk

• i think the mods are doing an okay job tbh

all the people calling them out are just people that got banned for being dicks

• @loin:

They read you like an open book huggy hehe. Well played mods on this one. Its almost like bullock the sherif in Deadwood.
    A very good boxset imo. Esp woo

Thread isn’t closed because this specific topic is completely fine and can be discussed sensibly :P if it can be changed to relate to the enforcement of forum moderators then fine, but that’s not what is being discussed here m8

Back to topic, can enforcement policies fabricate loosely connecting crimes in attempt to get someone incarcerated?

How does that work tbh

I need some lawyer peeps to come in and lay the whole thing down for me.

• im sure they could that being said it might not exactly be a just or fair way to administer justice

• When did you stop being a trouble maker H? No body every follows the line esp in positions of power. Every one has
    a unique perspective of what they feel is the best way to follow the path they have shaped. Its all grey in deep tones.
    I suggest training day a very good film for you or serpico.