Got into an argument with a friend, had to post this.

• The reason you buy a gun, is for recreation. No ifs, ands, buts. That’s cool and all, you buy a gun because you want one……Not self defense.

How many enemies do you have? And are you pointing a gun around every corner you walk? Do you carry around your holster while fucking someone?

Screw the statistics for a second, do you honestly think you’ll be ready whenever someone decided to casually assassinate you?

You want a gun because it’s fun. You want a gun so you can hunt.

Or to fight back in case the police become a bunch of pricks, which is respectable but you’re losing that fight m8.

If you buy a gun, keep it on the top of a shelf in a locked case. Please don’t carry it in your holster while having sex. Think about the kids m8

• wat

u realize crime rate goes way the fuck down when conceal carry is legal right m8

criminals think twice b4 robbing a potentially armed man or woman for that matter

u get a gun for the same reason you get insurance

• It’s reasonable to think that some people live in such a shady area that they feel more secure having a gun easily accessible in their house or whatever. If you are not in such a situation, then yeah, keep it locked up safely.

• @zombojoe:

wat

u realize crime rate goes way the fuck down when conceal carry is legal right m8

criminals think twice b4 robbing a potentially armed man or woman for that matter

u get a gun for the same reason you get insurance

Sandyhook mass murderer had assburgers, I doubt he critically planned out what he was going to do with his assault rifle. Statistics shoot both ways, it’s really not the best premise for an argument. Think this through with some common sense please. You own a gun you’re more likely to kill yourself then to use it on someone else and don’t think you’re immune to depression m8. Everyone get’s sad :)

• I don’t believe in a gun ban, not at all. It’s your right to bear arms etc. Just don’t give bullshit arguments please. Guns don’t make you safer it’s insanity to believe that you’re constantly fucking ready staring down ally ways because you know those 3 criminals are poping up any second.

You want a gun, good. Go hunt with it, do some target practice whatever. Keep it in a safe, don’t bother buying a holster because you’re dead before you can draw it anyway. You don’t know when someone is a criminal until they draw it on you, and by then it’s too late isn’t it?

Besides, what is this the wild west? Do you want to confront the bank robber? Is risking a few bullets in your head worth it to stop that gang from taking your tv? You let them go call the cops later, not enough reward to be a fucking hero.

The second amendment was written incase the blood of tyrants needed to be spilt right here in America like Thomas Jefferson always said. If you can get the entire populace to agree with you, more likely than not you have the pathway to stand up to the prickish government, much easier if tanks, drones, and helis were a bit cheaper but you get the point. The reason why it is in place now, is for the right to defend yourself from clearly corrupt and overly aggressive police force. Which is your right tbh, and makes a hell of a lot of sense. It’s not to stop split second murders and bank robberies and ****s. The only time it becomes clear is if you’re expecting company, which usually isn’t the case with crime and you would much rather go to the police (In most cases they don’t want to kill you lol)

• @Huggles:

Everyone get’s sad :)

I don’t. The only emotion I feel is anger.

• @Huggles:

Sandyhook mass murderer had assburgers, I doubt he critically planned out what he was going to do with his assault rifle. Statistics shoot both ways, it’s really not the best premise for an argument. Think this through with some common sense please. You own a gun you’re more likely to kill yourself then to use it on someone else and don’t think you’re immune to depression m8. Everyone get’s sad :)

sandyhook guy knew that nobody had guns where he was going cuz it was illegal m8

all mass shootings happen in gun free zones

there have even been mass shootings in military bases, which strangly enough have to be gun free by law

• People buy guns for many different reasons. To say that people buy guns only for recreation is ridiculous. Basically what Zombo said on this part. Conceal carry lowers crime rate as well as strict gun requirements. You make sure law abiding citizens have weapons and aren’t crazy people (like Zombo) and you end up with a low number of gun deaths relatively.

So the idea behind law abiding citizens carrying a gun isn’t so that you can walk around dark alleyways where criminals might jump you and you’re somehow able to defend yourself. It’s so that the general populace is able to prevent any unnecessary disasters. Like Zombo said, you’re not going to rob someone if you know them and many people around them have a gun. Someone else will use it to save others like theyve been trained to do (in an ideal country). But don’t take my word for it. Statistics speak for themselves (which is why you shouldn’t just disregard them).

With Lanza, sure he may not have planned everything out but he had a mental disorder. These kinds of cases are in the minority when it comes to gun crimes. He also didn’t have an assault rifle. His Semi auto and both handguns were completely legal (although stolen from his mom).

You can’t say that you’re more likely to kill yourself with a gun either. You need statistics to actually prove that.

So less anecdotal bank robber stories and focus more on statistics.

Effective and ideal political policies aren’t made because everyone sat around and thought it would be impractical to have a gun because of some stories their 15 year old kid came up with. They actually analyze statistics.

• @zombojoe:

sandyhook guy knew that nobody had guns where he was going cuz it was illegal m8

there have even been mass shootings in military bases, which strangly enough have to be gun free by law

Alright, fuck it let’s use the NRAs logic. In order to prevent school shootings, give the teachers guns. Put an armed security guard in every school right?

Give the 40 year old catwoman who the douchebags in class make fun of everyday and who the seniors like to fuck with every other second.

She goes to her car starts crying over work, what if that woman had a gun eh? Flawless logic.

Or the security guard just a normal shift some random man comes in with an assault rifle I really don’t think his pay grade is enough for him to risk his life to start shooting at this heavily armed man with military grade weapons is he m8?

Unless you’re for this police militarization there really is no argument and militarization by far destroys more rights than say a gun ban m8.

Because there are some facts that people of your caliber don’t seem to understand.

1. Some people just want to watch the world burn

2. Some people really don’t know what they’re doing (assburgers kid, social issues dweeb, two face personality issues, post war stress)

3. Not everyone is a fucking hero

You know what makes crazy people crazy btw? They don’t know they’re fucking crazy.

All mass shooting happen in gun free zones? So you’re telling me in the history of the earth the only shootings that have every happened have been in gun free zones?

……what about Somalia?

Why doesn’t someone bring up Somalia?

• @zombojoe:

Oh ya this is a really good point too that i forgot to mention. Dat ninja.

• @Huggles:

Alright, fuck it let’s use the NRAs logic. In order to prevent school shootings, give the teachers guns. Put an armed security guard in every school right?

Give the 40 year old catwoman who the douchebags in class make fun of everyday and who the seniors like to fuck with every other second.

She goes to her car starts crying over work, what if that woman had a gun eh? Flawless logic.

Or the security guard just a normal shift some random man comes in with an assault rifle I really don’t think his pay grade is enough for him to risk his life to start shooting at this heavily armed man with military grade weapons is he m8?

Unless you’re for this police militarization there really is no argument and militarization by far destroys more rights than say a gun ban m8.

Because there are some facts that people of your caliber don’t seem to understand.

1. Some people just want to watch the world burn

2. Some people really don’t know what they’re doing (assburgers kid, social issues dweeb, two face personality issues, post war stress)

3. Not everyone is a fucking hero

You know what makes crazy people crazy btw? They don’t know they’re fucking crazy.

All mass shooting happen in gun free zones? So you’re telling me in the history of the earth the only shootings that have every happened have been in gun free zones?

……what about Somalia?

Why doesn’t someone bring up Somalia?

Huggles…sensible gun laws. Conceal and carry where sane law abiding citizens have guns is the ideal situation and is backed by statistics. Stop coming up with stories.

• @Karasu:

People buy guns for many different reasons. To say that people buy guns only for recreation is ridiculous. Basically what Zombo said on this part. Conceal carry lowers crime rate as well as strict gun requirements. You make sure law abiding citizens have weapons and aren’t crazy people (like Zombo) and you end up with a low number of gun deaths relatively.

So the idea behind law abiding citizens carrying a gun isn’t so that you can walk around dark alleyways where criminals might jump you and you’re somehow able to defend yourself. It’s so that the general populace is able to prevent any unnecessary disasters. Like Zombo said, you’re not going to rob someone if you know them and many people around them have a gun. Someone else will use it to save others like theyve been trained to do (in an ideal country). But don’t take my word for it. Statistics speak for themselves (which is why you shouldn’t just disregard them).

With Lanza, sure he may not have planned everything out but he had a mental disorder. These kinds of cases are in the minority when it comes to gun crimes. He also didn’t have an assault rifle. His Semi auto and both handguns were completely legal (although stolen from his mom).

You can’t say that you’re more likely to kill yourself with a gun either. You need statistics to actually prove that.

So less anecdotal bank robber stories and focus more on statistics.

Effective and ideal political policies aren’t made because everyone sat around and thought it would be impractical to have a gun because of some stories their 15 year old kid came up with. They actually analyze statistics.

Statistics say you’re 80% more likely to shoot yourself than someone else with a privately owned gun.

I can always point out to Australia with the same arguments any anti gun liberal would say, same thing with britain yada yada

or I can link random websites I find online or link data bases like this

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/01/pro-gun-myths-fact-check

but American people like any rational person, thing of their lives less statistically, but rather through common sense right? I’m not arguing for a gun ban. Not arguing any anti gun stance really. Just saying that “I need it for protection….” is complete fucking bullshit. No one is ready at all times, security guards that aren’t on a military level really don’t give a shit about the people they’re protecting if they earn 16$ an hour.

When you go walking through the park karasu do you keep your shotgun pointing in a 360 direction at all times? You’re not the president m8 no one is coming out to murder you. People that want beef with you, just want your tv.

People that would kill you are mass murderers which usually happen to be those rare cases of dumb as shit, or people that just want to watch the world burn. Both of which, both sides agree, really can’t be stopped no matter how many regulations/non regulations you put in.

Why? Because people ARE the problem and they always will be.

statistics shoot both ways, most people like looking at things with common sense rather than fact checking online. Just like how when you flirt with a girl you do what your gut tells you to do, not how2flirt.org

Some people feel safer with their guns, some people also kill themselves with their guns, or their children do it for them. They’re just toys right? Don’t keep it in a safe of course, keep it on you at all times or on your kitchen table where it’s easily accessible. Accidents happen more often than crimes statistics back that up as well.

• I don’t see that statistic anywhere. Link it.

I already covered what you’re saying. People have guns to keep the general society safe. If someone is in danger, a responsible person with a gun is able to help.

• @Karasu:

Huggles…sensible gun laws. Conceal and carry where sane law abiding citizens have guns is the ideal situation and is backed by statistics. Stop coming up with stories.

Each individual case that adds up to those statistics have a story attached to them. I don’t see why we can’t look at individual cases to get a better understanding for larger statistical anomalies. Any hoot statistics shoot both ways and I don’t think you have a sensible argument by throwings maths around everywhere until someone get’s bored because common sense has been replaced by worthless statistical spewage that goes both ways every time in general.

You don’t know who is a criminal before they engage in criminal activity. Neither do your friends around you. I’d say more crime cases pop up everyday than hero cases. You hear mother shot and killed more often than redneck saves adolescent child in the news don’t ya. You could spend hours of your time doing the calculations and looking up different sources and you wouldn’t have a clue what form of regulation/non-regulation or any policy in general without getting a fucking clue. That’s what makes govt. difficult you know that right? Because nothing is consistent. If one Govt. could work for everyone we wouldn’t need opinions to engage in political discourse would we?

If anything it’s the young people that go by throwing their knowledge around everywhere, it’s the experienced who know that more often than not common sense and your gut reaction will more often than not override anything statistical. Everyone on the internet would laugh at this just like people would laugh at the American mindset in general. But at the end of the day we’re all fine and have always been fine and will continue to be. And life just is as it is. There is no one solution to anything. There is no ideal. Life is what it is, and we can do what we think is right and we will never get to a consensus. Pro gun will never win the argument, never will anti gun. We’ll just see what’s more popular in Washington within the next 40 years and that’s what will be made out of America.

my one point, is that keeping your gun locked up in a safe is much safer in general as opposed to carrying it around in your holster waiting for criminals to kill ya because that’s just how many enemies you have. If you’re that paranoid you really shouldn’t own a gun because you’ll probably shoot yourself and then you can guess why I wrote this thread in the first place……

• Well I’m through here if you’re not willing to look at evidence.

• @Karasu:

Well I’m through here if you’re not willing to look at evidence.

You wan’t links anyone can throw out about any subject? Take em, I don’t know if they’re right. I don’t know if yours are right. You don’t know either… Technically speaking all you’ve done is said the statistics speak for themselves and you also said I didn’t look at the evidence I never provided sooo.

I actually provided one more link than you tbh…

you never linked

http://www.bustle.com/articles/17787-how-to-argue-for-gun-control-5-anti-gun-regulation-arguments-debunked

http://listverse.com/2013/04/21/10-arguments-for-gun-control/

http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/12/the-best-gun-control-argument-you-will-ever-hear/

Statistics shoot both ways they always have we can have a link war for the next 2 pages or we can discuss :L

Why? Because people don’t boil down to numbers on a paper m8, and that’s why I find that “facts peak for themselves” argument to be bullshit.

This only applies to less controversial subjects that can actually be scientifically proven. Like global warming, gravity, laws of motion.

Even then you think therefore you are and that’s all you know. You don’t know if anything is real after all. You think you’re arguing with some kid on a forum or reading someones post on a forum but you’re actually wasted at some party laughing at some guy and calling him libtard when you find out he was a woman and she is actually pregnant right now……because of you…because you’re in the universe where words impregnate people and speaking is outlawed and the govt. is coming for you right now.

Or you never existed and you’re the flying space brain just thinking an infinite amount of random scenarios.

We’ll never know y’know

• @Huggles:

You wan’t links anyone can throw out about any subject? Take em, I don’t know if they’re right. I don’t know if yours are right. You don’t know either… Technically speaking all you’ve done is said the statistics speak for themselves and you also said I didn’t look at the evidence I never provided sooo.

I actually provided one more link than you tbh…

you never linked

I don’t normally provide them on forums if I’m not asked. If someone challenges a fact, then I’ll gladly find the stat for it.

It isn’t just finding what random websites say. You actually have to find credible (government, university, and sometimes organization ran) websites.

• @Karasu:

I don’t normally provide them on forums if I’m not asked. If someone challenges a fact, then I’ll gladly find the stat for it.

It isn’t just finding what random websites say. You actually have to find credible (government, university, and sometimes organization ran) websites.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firearms-research/guns-and-death/

you can find links for any of the stuff tbh, I’m more attracted to the argument that no matter what you do people are going to die right? So let’s initiate some sensible reform and some common sense policy and let people off with that. You so diverted me from my original point which was buying a gun puts yourself in more danger than anyone else. Ya hear that johnny? You’re probably never going to use the damn thing, but if you want one get it. No harm in it, but if all of your enemies that are obviously still pissed off from when you stole their crayons in pre-k want to kill you. You’re probably not going to be ready. If you were I don’t think the ideal scenario is who draws first. Don’t think that;s the way a civilized society works but whatever.

If you live in an area where crime is rampant and you would feel safer with a gun, how about moving m8?

If everyone wants to kill ya how about going to the cops and going on a witness protection program?

If you buy a gun keep it in a safe was my initial proposal. You don’t need protection m8 you’re some kind of ego maniac to think people give a shit about you enough to murder you johnny. Just don’t buy a gun unless you actually want one. As in not for bullshit purposes.

Bottom part wasn’t directed at karasu for your notice.

• Global Moderator

It does however drastically increase the death rate. Large scale crime increases while small scale crime decreases. People end up in prisons for longer sentences as they get for murder rather than robbery.

Buying a a gun for self defence is kinda dumb considering the other guy only has a gun for the exact same reason you have one.

Do you want to lose your wallet? Or do you want to lose your life, and your wallet.

• if you buy a gun your chance of killing yourself with gun will increase, thats pretty obvious because if you didnt have a gun it would be pretty difficult to shoot yourself with one yknow what im sayin? :friendly_wink:

huggles i find that the best arguments tend to be the simplest

the fact of the matter is that gun control just means taking guns away from citizens, not from criminals, not from cops, not from the military

just the citizens

now who makes up 99% of the population?

this is a classic case of consolidation of power and you only need to look at history to know where that leads

if theres anything ive learned its that nobody learns from history

besides the whole argument about the government needing to regulate licensing is pretty silly as well

ill just leave you with this, why would the institution with the most guns that also has possession of the most destructive weapons known to man (nukes), be in any position to decide who should own weaponry and how powerful it should be? does that not seem like a massive conflict of interest?