Greatsword OP? So is everything else.

• Not to beat a dead horse but:

Billhook, Bardiche, Helberd: In the right hands, the animations and hit boxes are all over the place, it can hit you from any angle at any time, and the riposte stabs are fast, desyncs all over.

Polehammer: Same thing but it can kill you in two hits.

Claymore: Instant riposte OH and Stab, yet no one complains about it.

Zwei: nerfed to FECK to the point that it’s useless unless you drag it to the point that it desyncs hard.

SoW: same thing as claymore, just a tad slower, but higher damage.

Messer: all over the place, desyncs, insane drags that either go through you or hit you long after the swing is over, seems to have more range than the sword is long.

Poleaxe: near instant stab riposte, stabs can be dragged to go through most blocks, backward OH doesn’t start at the tip of the pole but above it so it’s hard to block.

HWS and Norse are still stab spam central, especially with MAA (let’s not even start with MAA).

My point is that EVERY weapon can be made ‘‘OP’’ if used correctly. You don’t see low ranked players suddenly kicking ass because they are using GS, it’s only ‘‘OP’’ when used by a skilled player, as is ANY other weapon.

By all means, FIX GS, get rid of the desyncs and instant OH riposte and extreme drags (better do the same to every other weapon in the game because they can all be abused), but do not nerf it like zwei was nerfed. It will become useless, and players will find the next weapon to use as standard and people will cry about that being OP and beg for it to be nerfed.

Any players that I beat with GS that cry about it being OP, are players who stand in one spot or insist on hugging me, and I proceed to run around them to get distance. That is the point of a Vanguard, that is why vanguard has long range weapons. People need to learn how to fight a vanguard, rather then treating them as another knight. And they are usually using a similarly broken weapon like the messer.

Greatsword is just the easiest to use or most versatile vanguard weapon (as is LS for the knight). It isn’t that the GS is OP or broken, it’s that every weapon is OP and broken in its own special way, it’s that this game is fundamentally flawed from a mechanics point of view.

• Mod

Sighs long and hard

I want to break down this post and explain all the reasons why you are wrong, but I just can’t be bothered wasting my time. It’s not like torn banner are gonna balance anything anyway.

• This post is deleted!

• @Muddy:

every weapon is OP and broken in its own special way

Are you literally addressing EVERY weapon in the game with this statement?

• No, just no.

Greatsword is stupidly broken and OP beyond any counter.

Assuming solely 1 weapon gets nerfed with each patch, people would switch from Greatsword to Messer.
    Messer gets nerfed and some people might switch to Fork (maybe a bit unbalanced in duels, but Chivalry’s balance doesn’t revolve around those) and after those 3, I doubt there will be a next “OP” weapon that players will start maining in masses.
    No weapon comes close to Greatsword. It’d be fun to play LTS and meet a skilled Billhook user or a veteran Polehammer guy one day.

But those times seem far away. You know why?
    Because Greatsword is a good example of pubstar behavior. Without any thought about skill or fun, they pick the most OP weapon they come across or hear about. Because Greatsword IS a lot, lot better than other weapons. When it gets balanced people will actually start using the Zweihander and Spear more frequently again. If I recall correctly, those used to be a lot more popular in the past.

@Muddy:

1. Zwei: nerfed to FECK to the point that it’s useless unless you drag it to the point that it desyncs hard.

2. You don’t see low ranked players suddenly kicking ass because they are using GS, it’s only ‘‘OP’’ when used by a skilled player, as is ANY other weapon.

3. Any players that I beat with GS that cry about it being OP, are players who stand in one spot or insist on hugging me, and I proceed to run around them to get distance. That is the point of a Vanguard, that is why vanguard has long range weapons.

4. Greatsword is just the easiest to use or most versatile vanguard weapon (as is LS for the knight). It isn’t that the GS is OP or broken, it’s that every weapon is OP and broken in its own special way, it’s that this game is fundamentally flawed from a mechanics point of view.

1. Zweihander isn’t useless and it’s insane drags make it a very viable teamplay weapon.

2. Greatsword is already “OP” when used by a rank 25 pubstar. Sure you can take them down. But it makes them more powerful than they should be.
    GS in the hands of a skilled players isn’t “OP”, it’s blatantly ezmode.

3. It’s true that dancing is very effective against people who are reasonably new or aren’t sure how to counter Vanguard’s speed, but you’re wrong about the “range” part because you’re contradicting yourself. You claim the players you beat so easily are the ones who either stand still or the ones who come into facehug range. Then you claim the Vanguard class is about range.

Which range is that? Every imaginable distance? Because that’s the case with GS.
    Those players you mention who stand still are the ones who let you do your ballerina dance until half your stamina is depleted. The players who come too close are the players who have a short weapon and somehow managed to deal with the Vanguard’s exaggerated knockback.

But with GS, when enemies are distanced you can do drags, stab drags and dancing. But when they are close, you’ll usually get away with a lightning fast riposte OH lookdown/reverse OH.

4. Greatsword is indeed the easiest to use. It’s also the most versatile, yes. But those terms make it sounds like a respectful and balanced weapon.

LS may be the easiest and most versatile weapon for a Knight on paper but it certainly isn’t in-game. It could do with a damage buff.

Sorry if this was a troll thread. It certainly seems that way.
    I hope I pleased you by saving you the trouble Tyoson.

• Forgot to mention.

If you’re a main Greatsword user and thought you were genuinely good at this game, go play on an almost-full TO server and do nothing than riposte OH lookdowns and reverses.

Then when the grindfest is over look at your score and try to keep believing it was still all because you’re such a skilled player.

• If everything is OP then nothing is OP

• @Rob_Owner:

If Everything Is OP Then Nothing Is OP

• Jaden Smith

• Yet claymore ripostes feels slower than GS ripostes and aren’t invisible, how cray is that?

• Greatsword:

Super fast (insta overheads)
    Very long. (reach)
    Massive damage.
    Huge knockback. (Even Knights fly 5 meters away)
    Huge stamina drain.
    Great dragging abillity. (Also Z-stabs)
    Uber b0ckswngs.

No reason not to use it. Almost no downsides. If that is not OP then i don’t know what is.

Other weapons at least have some downsides.

Only downside is high chance of TK.

• gr8sword is more op than other weapons m8

• There’s a reason it’s called the Greatsword and not the Okaysword.

• @gref:

There’s a reason it’s called the Greatsword and not the Okaysword.

AHAAHAHhahahah fuck nice one

But seriously, imo the stab needs shorter release times and the overhead just a bit slower windup and thats all. Or a little damage nerf, but that would fuck with the weapon imo. The best solution imo would be to make the weapons clash while in release, to avoid that stupid ass hittrade that vangfucks seems to rely when maining the GS. You just lockdown overhead and drag that bullshit stab for the win. No skill needed with this weapon once you find out how to accelerate the overhead and drag the stab.

Dude is on defensive? feint or drag them stabs. Dude is all ofencive? hittrade his ass. Very effective against man at arms if you can ftp/cftp like a true warrior.

I see people that not even bother to parry these days (messer and GS heroes), its just so stupid its not even funny.

• I cringe when I encounter a rank 16-25 barely even parrying but just attempting to hittrade every single attack with a Greatsword, Messer or Claymore. (But at least Claymore doesn’t do enough damage to make it worth it)

I cringe even more when he gets away with it 75% of the time.

• @Rickvs:

I cringe when I encounter a rank 16-25 barely even parrying but just attempting to hittrade every single attack with a Greatsword, Messer or Claymore. (But at least Claymore doesn’t do enough damage to make it worth it)

I cringe even more when he gets away with it 75% of the time.

i love those dudes, they make easy as fuck maul headshot targets

• @zombojoe:

i love those dudes, they make easy as fuck maul headshot targets

Yeah, its not really hard to counter them infact, you just gotta keep cool and riposte their ass. But real veterans that know what their are doing are a trully pain in the ass with the GS. If they random accels delays + feints and hittrades, man… GS is a true nightmare fuel in duel situations.

• What’s the greatswords weakness?
    Where does it have problems?

Can it be used fast? Yes.
    Can it be dragged? Yes.
    Can it be used long range? Yes.
    Can it be used short range? Yes.

O wait, it doesn’t 1 hit knights, I guess that is a weakness. Maybe we should buff its damage.

• Global Moderator

@Toll:

What’s the greatswords weakness?
    Where does it have problems?

Can it be used fast? Yes.
    Can it be dragged? Yes.
    Can it be used long range? Yes.
    Can it be used short range? Yes.

O wait, it doesn’t 1 hit knights, I guess that is a weakness. Maybe we should buff its damage.

Nah just increase maul reach and speed.

• @Vanguard:

The best solution imo would be to make the weapons clash while in release, to avoid that stupid ass hittrade that vangfucks seems to rely when maining the GS.

#theslashering

• Only the stab-drags give me real grief. Make the stab release a little shorter and im fine with it.