How to reduce crashes

• My game sometimes crashes and now its always the same reason.

Firstly after a few long sessions of Chivalry I suggest you compose a new email and add attachment
    your udkstats
    . Save as draft.
    Then validate your Chivalry files in Steam and its always the "4 files message"
    I have found that the crashes creep back in if your don’t validate local files for a long time so.
    Do this check at least 2 times a week and backup your stats file.(You could even just copy/paste
    your mygames folder else square).
    My game never crashes now. If it does its always the missing files nowdays.

• Those missing 4 files seemed to be some random temp files or something last time I checked… anyone know for sure what they are? Not sure why it always gets them.

All my crashes seem to be fairly map-specific (and even then not much recently). The mysteries of PC gaming. I consider myself fortunate.

• Mod

euhm I remember these but can’t rrecall their specifics - I have a feeling they were worker files generated by chivalry on the fly.

Regarding the udkstats - you should be able to remove this completely and it be reacquired from the cloud

Are you having any problems with other games corrupting? Admittedly I don’t get much in the way of crashes (outside of PhysX ones that I enabled) but also hardly ever reverify my cache

• kind thanks to both replies: Even if no crashes for months on checking after one its those 4 files msg again hehe.
    Actually Imo its only when you dont check or validate the local files with frequency then the crashes start to creep back.
    Heavens knows what they are hehe. Today I even arranged every Chivalry folder and steam to see what 4 files were
    actually updated and nothing showed up. This can get worse. I noted that on one battle I got awarded a rank 5 level!

despite being a 43 rank. IN that case exit the game and setup an offline game with bots to verify rank is back down
    to 5 or 0. If not good or if it is then exit steam and paste back your saved/backedup udkstats.ini and it usually
    restores your rank.

I do believe the longer the 4 files are left unvalidated the more crashes and bugs creep into your Chivarly as mentioned.
    My guess is TB is doing some open to write to them but whatever the code its not closing them after (my theory).

• Global Moderator

Those 4 files don’t cause the crashes. Many people think they are the cause for many of their problems.

• After a quick check last night as an official server crashed us all I rechecked and they were once again missing
    and after validated no more crashes again. A game should not need validating as often as this tbh.

• Global Moderator

I just said those two things aren’t related to each other.

• I note you’ve just started to pick various posts apart and as usual with no prove in the opposing arguments.
    what you said is not relevant to me at all unless your bring solid factual evidence.

• AFAIK the files that fail to verify are just log files in the engine\shaders directory. I genuinely doubt they are important.

• Global Moderator

@loin:

I note you’ve just started to pick various posts apart and as usual with no prove in the opposing arguments.
    what you said is not relevant to me at all unless your bring solid factual evidence.

On the contrary you have provided no evidence that they have an effect on crashes.

Verify your game twice in a row. It will still say they are missing. It says they are missing for me too and I don’t crash. There’s your evidence.