Team objective. Why so laggy.

• Global Moderator

The main cause of lag in this game is TO mode. Pings will just be massively higher. It doesn’t matter about the servers specifications or who the provider is. TO is just laggy with more than 24 people.

You can have 50 slot free for all or last team standing and everyone’s ping will be normal. Plain normal. And that’s with 50 people. Exact same server cannot handle 32 player team objective properly. 50 slot is impossible everyone having triple did et pings but hey that’s 50 slots. But 50 slot works fine in any other game mode.

Its gotten worse over time which is a problem. 32 player used to be bearable. Now it isn’t really. Something has to be done about the lag team objective causes. Even on official servers it has the same issue. Doesn’t matter about the provider. Though official servers also seem to suffer from packet loss or something but that’s another matter.

It has to be looked at.

Also so citadel and coldfront sometimes have random ping spikes. Doesn’t always happen but everyone’s ping slowly rises.

• NOT TRUE Torn banner had 120 player server up and running fine on citadel!

before everyone crashed

• @lemonater47:

Also so citadel and coldfront sometimes have random ping spikes. Doesn’t always happen but everyone’s ping slowly rises.

I’ve found that this happens in every map sometimes. Usually pings will spike to 120-140 for the majority of players and remain that way until the map ends.

• Global Moderator

@Phlint95:

NOT TRUE Torn banner had 120 player server up and running fine on citadel!

before everyone crashed

Well if this game was multithreaded we could have 128 player servers fine. As our servers have 24 core intel xeons. But a friend tested a bunch of providers calling his server “the battle against lag”. Didn’t matter who It was always bad.

What were the specs of the server TB used?

And why are all the other game modes absolutely fine?

• hm… one difference between TO and the rest is much more kismet handling.
    It would be interesting to see what happens playing a very simple TO map with 24+ players.

• Global Moderator

Simplifying their kismet would be the way to go. Haven’t tested much with custom maps but they don’t really seem to have lag issues. Torn banner kismet is very very complicated compared to many of the custom maps.

Deadliest warrior also runs fine. All out deadliest warrior servers are 64 player servers. As that’s what torn banner said they were building the game for. And yes it runs fine.

• The kismet in TBS maps is huge.

Especially the parts to do with bots.

• I swear when your server is full lemon it lags all the other servers in Australia!!

• Global Moderator

@bieberhole69:

I swear when your server is full lemon it lags all the other servers in Australia!!

Even if it did affect other servers it would only affect Other servers in NSW. And there’s a bunch of servers at that location for other games.

• @bieberhole69:

I swear when your server is full lemon it lags all the other servers in Australia!!

Not to mention it also tends to soaks up all the traffic from the other servers so we’re forced to play in a laggy mess. woo.

• Global Moderator

It will be purely coincidental if that actually happened.

• How big a difference in ping are you talkin about between game modes?

• Global Moderator

50 ping which is a lot.

• I never notice a difference between TO and other game mode pings, usually. I don’t think it’s the game mode, I think it’s just the servers going bad; but no one will disagree that large amounts of AI make the game laggier both FPS and latency wise, even if ping doesn’t sometimes reflect it.

But I mean, on a stable normal server going from TO Stoneshill/Darkforest to Moor TDM, I don’t usually notice a difference. It’s just when the server is crapping out that the pings go up and I think that happens regardless of game mode.

• Global Moderator

It works fine with 24 players. Not much of an increase in ping. 32 there’s a large increase in ping in TO compared to other game modes.

There aren’t many classic or full rotation servers around. But you easily notice on them.

And on other game modes 50 players on and the ping is fine.

Deadliest warrior runs 64 players fine.

• tbh, idk wtf youre talking about. im in west coast and only play west coast servers. is that y? my lag never goes past 60

• @dreamlord:

tbh, idk wtf youre talking about. im in west coast and only play west coast servers. is that y? my lag never goes past 60

ditto never seen any difference

• Dunno. My server is only 24 slots. Certainly never notice anything. I’ll keep an eye out next time I’m on an official 32p classic.

• Global Moderator

On 24 player servers its fine.

32 player servers its not.

• I blame Tony Abbott.