Anyone able to reverse engineer cooked maps?

• Hey,

I made duelyard and I was stupid and added the teleport thingy into it. People opened the map in Editor, checked the Kismet and found out. Now I would like to remove it and maybe if I have some spare time do some visual changes to the map. But I was stupid again and lost the original file when I formatted my PC some months ago :suspicion:

Has anyone successfully reverse engineered a map? I tried everything but have no success. I made custom meshes in the UDK editor and my own materials for the landscape and saved them to a package alongside the map (DemocracyMaterials.udk). Any ideas?

• This post is deleted!

• Mod

@fvonb:

Hey,

I made duelyard and I was stupid and added the teleport thingy into it. People opened the map in Editor, checked the Kismet and found out. Now I would like to remove it and maybe if I have some spare time do some visual changes to the map. But I was stupid again and lost the original file when I formatted my PC some months ago :suspicion:

Has anyone successfully reverse engineered a map? I tried everything but have no success. I made custom meshes in the UDK editor and my own materials for the landscape and saved them to a package alongside the map (DemocracyMaterials.udk). Any ideas?

Yes sir, well…
    i was able to change Aocduel-Tower… To LTS and TD.
    Aocduel-Shaft to FFA…
    Tavern to Armed Tavern.
    Arena to CTF
    and couple moor in the works… Pardon the pun.

Send me a PM here or better yet send me a request in steam.
    Baron von Moorland

ill do my bes’ to help.

• Can’t you just open it up in the editor and select everything and paste it into a new map?

• Hmmm, I don’t think there’s an easy way to do this. Or any way for that matter, iirc.

For the map itself you could just copy-paste all objects in the level and the Kismet nodes after that, but UDK is pretty clever about only showing “preview files” when it comes to viewing the content of custom packages that UDK doesn’t think are yours.

So, it’d be possible, but not entirely. You’ll have to re-make the materials/meshes you used in the original package if you want to edit them in any way. If you just want to re-use them, I think you can just apply them to your (new) map and the UDK export process will include the package in the upload. (even though it’ll still think you’re not the author of that package)

As for the map itself, a copy-paste job to a new level will do the trick whether it’s cooked or not. Just don’t forget the Kismet.