Getting tactical on a 64 player server?! yes!

• hey all, theres a new 64 player server based in Seattle, WA, by the [KOR] clan. i’ve been playig it every night for like a week now and, well, it is freaking awesome (that is oc until the server crashes, which thankfully isnt too often).

well heres what ive found: the more ppl playing, the closer it get to around 50+ players, shit starts to get crazy, so crazy in fact that u have to get tactical or u will die.

it seems to work like this: the more ppl playing, the easier it is to get surrounded and thoroughly gang ****d by the enemy players if u run too far into enemy territory, and the easier it is to surround an enemy player and thoroughly gang **** them if they are foolish enough to charge into 8+ players. because of this, i have seen, and do so myself, see lines form a la braveheart (with much taunts and salutes too) and skirmishes break out along the line; and i see ppl more reluctant to just run in all lmb happy; i see ppl grouping up into clusters of fighters, attacking and pulling back, i see knight using shields and vanguards and MaAs getting behind those shields, and archers behind them–because when theres 60 players, if u dont u die.

so epic. 64 player servers ftw!

• Yea , I really like the larger servers and IMO that’s how TO should be played, but my Gaming Potato likes to drop below 60fps when I hit 24+ players and its very noticeable for me.

TBS stress tested a 100+ player server recently, so maybe we might be seeing some love for larger servers.

• I get less then 20 fps in clusterfucks of servers with 20+ players. I am a true potato :(

• @Vanguard:

I get less then 20 fps in clusterfucks of servers with 20+ players. I am a true potato :(

This happens on monster machines beyond 24 player servers….

• @Retsnom:

This happens on monster machines beyond 24 player servers….

not fps drops, lag yes

• @Huggles:

not fps drops, lag yes

They are related and most do not know the difference let alone how one effects the other.

• @Retsnom:

They are related and most do not know the difference let alone how one effects the other.

ik what frame drops look like and ik what spikey like lag looks like. Generally speaking my frames are fine when in 20+ but there’s a lot of spiking and skipping etc.

• @Huggles:

ik what frame drops look like and ik what spikey like lag looks like. Generally speaking my frames are fine when in 20+ but there’s a lot of spiking and skipping etc.

I get both

• @Huggles:

I normally run the game with Stat FPS always running, Sometimes I run it with Stat Unit. Stat FPS will show you your FPS while Stat Unit will show render times between CPU and GPU. I also monitor my ping and the number of players. I do this mostly out of habit when I had a potato so I could tell what areas of the maps had bad FPS, watch ping increase ans well as FPS drops when more players join. So over the years I can almost tell exactly when someone joins with high ping, when player counts go beyond 24. You will also notice combat stuttering in heavy combat with many players.

While you maybe able see what appears to be good FPS while watching an individual player morph across the screen and not be where he appears to be, that is also effecting your FPS because you are having to wait for the server to update that players location and make corrections from the prediction algorythm. This happens for every player but the more players the more network information has to be sent back and forth then to have those frames generated. Things like oneframethreadlag=true in the UDKSystemSettings.ini which attempts to keep the GPU one frame ahead of the GPU cna get conflicted while it is waiting for the network card to process or send the data depending on your card settings and of course your internet speed.

• @Retsnom:

I normally run the game with Stat FPS always running, Sometimes I run it with Stat Unit. Stat FPS will show you your FPS while Stat Unit will show render times between CPU and GPU. I also monitor my ping and the number of players. I do this mostly out of habit when I had a potato so I could tell what areas of the maps had bad FPS, watch ping increase ans well as FPS drops when more players join. So over the years I can almost tell exactly when someone joins with high ping, when player counts go beyond 24. You will also notice combat stuttering in heavy combat with many players.

While you maybe able see what appears to be good FPS while watching an individual player morph across the screen and not be where he appears to be, that is also effecting your FPS because you are having to wait for the server to update that players location and make corrections from the prediction algorythm. This happens for every player but the more players the more network information has to be sent back and forth then to have those frames generated. Things like oneframethreadlag=true in the UDKSystemSettings.ini which attempts to keep the GPU one frame ahead of the GPU cna get conflicted while it is waiting for the network card to process or send the data depending on your card settings and of course your internet speed.

Is there a way to fix that?

*aka would this happen if tbs wasn’t dumb

• The best way is to force ping limits on servers. There is no reason to allow anyone with a stable ping of 130 or greater to play on a server, no matter how stable. You can play with turning on and off the Oneframethreadlag as well as in your graphic card settings on the number of frames to render ahead. There are also some network card tweak settings to have the nic card take pressure off the CPU. But sadly much of it has to do with porting the game for optimizing and utilizing multi cores as well as the netcode. But I still feel that 24 man servers just have the best performance depending on the map.

I have been doing some testing on tickrates on my server as well as rates on my client. Tick rate of 90 seemed a bit high and produced lower pings but greater ghost stabs and swings. Default 30, pings are 10-30 points higher and still have issues with hit register. Tried 60 and that wasnt too bad but still get ghost swings so resorted back down to 50 for a bit of testing

• @Retsnom:

The best way is to force ping limits on servers. There is no reason to allow anyone with a stable ping of 130 or greater to play on a server, no matter how stable.

i agree with that.

also, how can battlefield 2 from almost a decade ago have standard 64 player servers with large maps run so well, while CMW struggles?

playing in big ass chiv fights with 50+ players makes chiv a whole new game, a better one imo, and i would love it if larger player count servers were a direction that TB would develop more.

• Global Moderator

@dreamlord:

i agree with that.

also, how can battlefield 2 from almost a decade ago have standard 64 player servers with large maps run so well, while CMW struggles?

playing in big ass chiv fights with 50+ players makes chiv a whole new game, a better one imo, and i would love it if larger player count servers were a direction that TB would develop more.

Well you can play on 64 player servers fine in chivalry.

Provided you don’t want to play TO.

• I personally believe that it is my divine right to insist that TBS stop everything else that they are doing right now, team up with a company researching 2D materials and lock themselves in a room until they can make 64 slot TO viable, or die trying. Can you imagine 128 slot TO? I can and if it were possible I’d be willing to go into stasis until someone makes that game.

Just thinking about this makes me want to play Chiv again, thank you OP.

• Mod

Anymore than 26 players, and you’re not playing the game, you’re surfing the lag.

• big fights big lag

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.