Archers

• Having played intensely over the last few weeks due to waiting on next contract I realize how incredibly fucked up archers are with their maul across the map hits and fast fucking slashes that you have to wait on 2 before parrying.

I have no confidence tbs plays the game, gives a shit, or will make any changes, but hey here is hoping.

When I did play archer I pretty much sucked but a half decent archer will shit all over your game and they do in competitive all the time.

Slasher hopefully will adjust for this where CMW never did.

• A good archer is totally game ruining, I’m glad you see sense now, Greg ;)

• litecrossbow 2 stronk

• Well how do you balance an assortment of ranged weapons like that? They pretty much WOULD one-shot anything but a Knight. I can understand if you want to decrease projectile damage to Knights only, but Vanguard, MaA and other Archers are still soft meatbags. Tough to balance Archer without nerfing damage, accuracy or speed to the point where it’s almost pointless to pick Archer.

Also, if you nerf Archer, then MaA becomes dedicated troll class, quarterstaff and firepots all day bro.

• @Oy:

pointless to pick Archer.

Sounds good to me.

• @Oy:

Well how do you balance an assortment of ranged weapons like that? They pretty much WOULD one-shot anything but a Knight. I can understand if you want to decrease projectile damage to Knights only, but Vanguard, MaA and other Archers are still soft meatbags. Tough to balance Archer without nerfing damage, accuracy or speed to the point where it’s almost pointless to pick Archer.

Also, if you nerf Archer, then MaA becomes dedicated troll class, quarterstaff and firepots all day bro.

It is all about game enjoyment I dont think knight should enjoy some priviledge

• Mod

@Chimpanzer:

Sounds good to me.

People not playing archer is a good thing.

• what if you could parry arrows?

and arrows were made serverside so their trails actually followed where they went

• @zombojoe:

what if you could parry arrows?

it would make a huge difference

• I thought you were loving archers thinking they were fine, what the heck happened?
    I wouldn’t mind reworking the class, making the armour similar to the MAA, giving them the MAA primaries as well perhaps. Lowering the ranged damage/amount of projectiles, obviously they’d move slower and not be able to dodge, but they might have a LCB with 10 bolts that deals a lot less damage, or a heavy crossbow with 4 bolts that deals slightly more damage but cannot 1hit any class unless it’s to the head.

• He was decidedly pro-archer until facing pro archers.

• I used the javelin for a long time, switched to xbow for a while.

But nowadays I mostly melee and as a knight being knocked down to kickable in one shot across the map is not fun.

• better late than never

• @gregcau:

I used the javelin for a long time, switched to xbow for a while.

But nowadays I mostly melee and as a knight being knocked down to kickable in one shot across the map is not fun.

And this is why nobody should listen to archer mains who think that archer is fine.

• nerfing damage would definitely be a nice addition to the removal of flinch. The removal of flinch hurts their teammates more than they themselves, since they can’t protect a teammate that would be hit. They can still play as archers always should have by knowing when to switch to secondary which is quite easy when you can see people coming from a mile away. Damage is still too powerful.

Crossbows are complete and utter bullshit… like everyone is saying, they’re mauls from a distance. 1 shotting knights to the head and doing crippling damage to ALL classes to the chest or below. If you’re at 10 or below health, you’re already out of the fight.

Parrying arrows? that’d be a start but not really as much a solution as nerfing damage, because you’d basically have to be constantly staring at the archer, and it’s impossible to do that in a group fight. Plus, as far as warbow, crossbow, pretty much any bow… the projectile speed is so fast you’d probably rarely block the damn thing anyway. You can already block arrows with shields, but can we not see how effective that is!? (not effective at all)

the melee is still too damn good too, their riposte stabs most people can’t parry (skilled players only). And if you land one stab, you’re pretty much guaranteed a second hit because the look to right and down overhead hits basically instatnly after the stab. (shortsword and daggars) Plus, if you just miss the first attack, you’re guaranteed the 2nd hit too, so you could do that and then get 3 free hits basically or more.

archers and maa dodge are this games plague.

as far as maa dodge goes, slow it down to make it not seem like a teleport, or make it not travel as far of a distance, making backdodges more negligible to side dodges. If this were done, you can reduce the amount of stamina required to use dodge, because they’d most likely have to parry afterward against a good opponent. The dodge should use as much stamina as a combo feint. After all, all other classes facing maa basicallly have to combo feint against dodge the whole time, why not their dodges use as much stam as combo feint? or just reduce the cost of cftp (or just parry) and shit like that.

Currently parry and low stamina issues make 1vN matchups pretty much impossible to win for the 1, even against terrible opponents. Stun lock is also a cancer, the length of the stun is absolutely silly. I’ll say it again, basing the stun time on a 1HKO weapons 1HKO attack is stupid. Not only is it a free hit, it’s a free KILL. It was better before when the person actually had to see the stun quickly and react fast, or use a feint if they missed the opportunity to get another opportunity. That was better.

many things that could be tested and tried but these imbalanced shit still exist.

Ill attack the knight now, the messer is totally overpowered and lmb’s damn near never flinch. Maul is also overpowered. Lets just say flinch in general is broken now.

Vanguards - brandistock and greatsword need a nerfing. Brandi on damage, and greatsword in overall windup and release nerfs needed.

Chase mechanic - can we have one please?

DO IT TB, CONTINUE THE BATTLE FOR BALANCE!

• That is a good post Clay, totally agreed.

Continue the battle for balance TB!

• What 50ShadesofClay said.

• The last “archer balance” joke of a patch is the number 1 reason I’m not playing chivalry till it’s fixed. The mauls across the map is a perfect analogy. Change the visual of arrows and bolts to mauls just to show how goddam ridiculous it is. I’m pretty sure TB main archer classes at this point, because this nerf has been needed for a long time. Agree with pretty much everything clay said except dodge nerf. If dodge distance is reduced, that leaves us in range to play parry game with knights and vg’s. Both those classes can one shot maa, and with riposte attacks with no animations that’s sure to happen. Messer also needing a nerf, not a good thing when you see every knight using the same weapon. Please TB, maybe once you balance archer class it won’t need to be limited to 4.

• @Vesanus:

That is a good post Clay, totally agreed.

Continue the battle for balance TB!

Indeed. Do what Clay said and the game is instantly improved by a MASSIVE amount. Other stuff needs doing too, but this is a hell of a place to start.

• @Harry:

Indeed. Do what Clay said and the game is instantly improved by a MASSIVE amount. Other stuff needs doing too, but this is a hell of a place to start.

Yeah!

…and TBS change your Soon™ to Now™.

: )

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.