4690k or 4790k?

• I know I know I know. The 4790k I’m told is a bit overkill, but it does exceed in the few games that are out now that utilize it’s Hyperthreading, and it’s not THAT big of a price difference, and ofc, it has amazing single thread performance. I’m getting a new mobo with it. ASUS x97-a ATX Deluxe, which from what I’ve read, is a solid board. I’m leaning towards the i7. Any thoughts on these/other CPU’s or this particular Mobo?

• It all looks good tbh. I was considering the x99 chipset and ddr4 stuff with that Intel 5960x 20mb cache baby.
    It looks like you might save the best part of £100 on the processor prices of your choices .
    That could go towards a gtx video card. best of luck its always a tricky moment deciding tbh.

• Tough call. With a bit of OCing the i5 is >95% as good (stock clockspeeds are slower, but it should easily reach the stock speeds of the i7 and then some). Just depends on whether you want to spend the extra cash or not.

If saving money on the CPU means buying a better GPU, then yeah, it’s a no-brainer to go with the 4690k.

• Perhaps I’ll just wait until the Haswell-e chips and DDR4 go down in price, then just do a z99 build. Who the hell needs 12 threads or more anyway though…it’s madness. Directx12 is apparently supposed to utilize multiple threads though, and AMD’s mantle might be a big deal…or not. Future proofing is tough. Then there’s all of those fancy GPU’s out there _

• Devils canyon is a nice name tho. Atm I run Chivalry on my old zeon x3330 with a geforce gtx580. ( my tv rig this one )
    doesn’t that run at 4ghz as stock speed the 4790k?

• @loin:

Devils canyon is a nice name tho. Atm I run Chivalry on my old zeon x3330 with a geforce gtx580. ( my tv rig this one )
    doesn’t that run at 4ghz as stock speed the 4790k?

Yes it does. AND the 4790k is sort of future proof in the sense that it has hyperthreading with 8 total threads. It’s even a superior chip for multithreaded tasks compared to AMD’s best FX series chips, which are known to be quite good for multithreaded tasks.

• Well I don’t see the harm in a devils canyon, without stock fan tho. Infact I myself might go
    with your suggestion Parkrangerstan tbh. This could also come down in price simply due
    to the next wave on top of us. Why not indeed. Also to add that its not even highly over
    priced so if you decide to sell it out later your loses won’t be very much at all tbh.
    Go for it I’d say.

• There’s a new contender loin. For $550 I can get a GTX 980, the best GPU on the market….and it would cost even less than I planned on spending on a CPU+Mobo. Tis tempting.

• @parkrangerstan:

There’s a new contender loin. For $550 I can get a GTX 980, the best GPU on the market….and it would cost even less than I planned on spending on a CPU+Mobo. Tis tempting.

Yes indeed I also came across this GTX 980 , just yesterday. From what I understand its the business tbh.
    Hold off on the ddr4 for now as I read some were about a few boards ending up in smoke.
    Devils canyon z97? chipset is limited to 32gb of ram. I might just pre-order a GTX980 and
    follow your lead hehe.

• I’ve been waiting for these new Nvidia GPUs. The 970 looks like it could be a winner from my point of view in terms of power consumption and performance/price.

• Actually Mr Dudeface is right on the mark as usual hehe. Its actually a saving of £150 in GB. With that saving
    one could pick up a samsung 850 pro 256gb ssd drive, rumoured to be the best and fastest ssd drive out atm.
    It even comes in upto 1TB flavours heh.

• I ordered 2 gtx 980’s in the end. Also decided to get a Devils canyon bundle prob in Jan. Buying and selling workstations
    lately has caught my interest distracting me from gaming atm , very impressive hardware and net me a nice return on cash tbh.

• While looking into this I managed to purchase a Razor Boomslang original in metal tin , 1000 mouse? 1999
    release date. Best of all its brand new.

• I cancelled that order to consider 3* gtx 970’s , they look like my 1300w gold 80plus psu can run them nicely.
    As Mr Dudeface mentioned they are very nice for power saving.

Expecting a hp z800 workstation soon, maxing that out with ram and dual six cores plus sli videoing is my
    other project tbh.

• Should be able to hit 60fps with that setup!

• @dudeface:

Should be able to hit 60fps with that setup!

well I start on Monday my project build.

Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate 64-bit*
    Cpu 1 Intel Xeon processor X5690, 3.46 GHz, 12 MB cache 1333 MHz memory, Six-Core
    Cpu 2 Intel Xeon processor X5690, 3.46 GHz, 12 MB cache 1333 MHz memory, Six-Core

192 GB, 6-channel DDR3 1333 MHz,

1Tb ssd *2
    NVIDIA Quadro 6000 6GB Graphics * 2
    Or considering sli [Gtx 980’s or 970’s]
    Every one should have a project pc build tbh.

I actually turned down my fps to 90 limit in Beta and Normal on my tv box here.
    Chivalry yesterday. Imo if you cap fps at the same as fov its quite ok and runs well eg 110 fov 110fps or 90fps