Netcode problems

• I noticed projectile weapons seem to be client-side, I can never hit a moving target past 50 ping even though the arrow cam shows that it hit the target. I went to test this using javelins and throwing them at the ground while moving, what I got was that the javelins appeared on the ground 5 feet back from where I started moving from, something really weird is going on here indeed.

• bump

Im having the same trouble, the fact that the combat system seems to be client-side. People with high ping are having more advantage than people with low ping. Could it be possible that server have a default max ping like 120ms. So that people with higher ping on that server should search for an another one, with a lower ping for them.

Or can the netcode be serverside ? I really enjoy the game, but sometimes i get killed just because of the latency from the other player. This is really a downside for me, and it makes the game less competitive for me

• UDK’s collision detection is performed both client & server side.

The client performs collision detection in order to render an approximation of the game state.

The server performs collision detection in order to update the actual game state.
    However, the server performs lag compensation in an attempt to level the playing field.
    This lag compensation requires the server to roll-back the game state by an amount equal to your (average) ping, and perform the collision detection at that point in time.

Often the approximation rendered on your client will differ slightly from the results of the lag compensated game state update performed on the server.
    When this happens it’s the server’s outcome that matters.

This disagreement in outcomes can result in some strange anomalies:

• arrows apparently hitting and sticking in the enemy, but dealing no damage.
    • rag doll bodies falling in significantly different positions on the client & server, making it hard for players to know where to swing in order to mutilate bodies.

• @encryped:

Im having the same trouble, the fact that the combat system seems to be client-side. People with high ping are having more advantage than people with low ping. Could it be possible that server have a default max ping like 120ms. So that people with higher ping on that server should search for an another one, with a lower ping for them.

Or can the netcode be serverside ? I really enjoy the game, but sometimes i get killed just because of the latency from the other player. This is really a downside for me, and it makes the game less competitive for me

This. I don’t know what can be done to fix it, but it is really frustrating trying to duel (or even fight for that matter) a player with more than 100 ping. You have to try to ‘predict’ parries and act far earlier than you normally would. It’s silly, and really aggravating.