Something up with servers? Or is my internet weird?

• I’ve heard numerous people say that recently, their ping is noticeable higher on certain servers. That sounded like an internet issue for them, until the same thing happened to me. Officials that I used to get great ping on, I now have terrible ping. This isn’t random either, seems to be specific servers that this happens with. Just to clarify what my pings should look like, I live on the West Coast. Sooo examples of what I’m seeing:

West Coast FFA server. I get ridiculous ping here even though I probably live very close to it. Always used to get good ping here as well.

East Coast TO server. Ping is actually LOWER here than it is on an empty server that is far closer to me.

West Coast TO server. Ping is shit here as well. REALLY shit, and I used to get like 60 ping here.

West Coast TO. I’ve always gotten great ping here, and It’s still good. Nothings changed.

Soooo could this issue be my internet that disagrees with certain servers for some reason? Or is it the servers themselves? I’ve heard others say they have this same problem recently, but not as drastically as I do. I also have friends completely unaffected by it. One that lives in about 30 miles from me has 100 less ping on that FFA server and TO #21 but has the same ping on other servers. No idea what the difference is for us. Just for clarification, this has been ongoing. My pings on all these servers have been consistent over the past 5 days or so.

I dunno how to embed but all the images are here.

• Sure, I use those servers, occasionally it is my internet, more often it is the server (if it does happen which is not that often).

• Mod

The US west #21 screenshot would imply that others were not seeing the same problem at the time. Usually if the server is about to fall over you start seeing bad pings with everyone.

So looking at that server, its IP is 66.155.58.77:9887

I’d start looking at dos pings to the server. You can run the command window (cmd) in windows and ping the server. This should give you return time from computer>server>back (so if this is low it’s likely something on the server causing latency)

so looking at my connection:

monkey@monkeyfiendpc8:~$ ping -c 4 66.155.58.77

PING 66.155.58.77 (66.155.58.77) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 66.155.58.77: icmp_seq=1 ttl=118 times=235 ms

235ms, That’s about right for me, since I’m in the UK, would expect 200+ pings to west coast US.

Next up run the traceroute command (tracert) followed by the IP. This should tell you latency on each hop on the way to the server. Generally speaking if there latency on hop 1 or 2 depending on your router setup is can be an issue with your networking setup or a local issues e.g. cables to the house. If it’s later on that tends to be on the ISP/peering end of things but at least would mean you could start harranging your ISP. Feel free to post that info or PM me.

[edit: sry on windows that ping should look more like:

C:\Users\Monkey>ping 66.155.58.77

Pinging 66.155.58.77 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 66.155.58.77: bytes=32 time=225ms TTL=118

[/edit]

• The last few days, our Chicago server that is rock stable has been spiking horribly. We have been DOSSed a few times but that wasnt this. I do know that a few ISPs in Iowa have been down and horribly laggy the last two weeks and that could effect the trace route. So for now I am going with that.

• You must be rich if you own an internet.

• You can’t use windows cmd as a benchmark. I ping the server at 59ms but when I join I am always at 93-98 ms. If no one is in the server? I’ll get 65ms. Why? Cause the patches you be rolling out is increasing everyones ping. Along with the desync and delays in input. Also I’ve search forums and no one can tell me why FFA US WEST 16player disappeared two months ago. But you kept the 24 player slot?

• @Xylvion:

You must be rich if you own an internet.

AN internet? Plebian, I own 15

• @MonkeyFiend:

The US west #21 screenshot would imply that others were not seeing the same problem at the time. Usually if the server is about to fall over you start seeing bad pings with everyone.

So looking at that server, its IP is 66.155.58.77:9887

I’d start looking at dos pings to the server. You can run the command window (cmd) in windows and ping the server. This should give you return time from computer>server>back (so if this is low it’s likely something on the server causing latency)

so looking at my connection:

monkey@monkeyfiendpc8:~$ ping -c 4 66.155.58.77

PING 66.155.58.77 (66.155.58.77) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 66.155.58.77: icmp_seq=1 ttl=118 times=235 ms

235ms, That’s about right for me, since I’m in the UK, would expect 200+ pings to west coast US.

Next up run the traceroute command (tracert) followed by the IP. This should tell you latency on each hop on the way to the server. Generally speaking if there latency on hop 1 or 2 depending on your router setup is can be an issue with your networking setup or a local issues e.g. cables to the house. If it’s later on that tends to be on the ISP/peering end of things but at least would mean you could start harranging your ISP. Feel free to post that info or PM me.

[edit: sry on windows that ping should look more like:

C:\Users\Monkey>ping 66.155.58.77

Pinging 66.155.58.77 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 66.155.58.77: bytes=32 time=225ms TTL=118

[/edit]

Well, I tried the ping command with the ip of TO 21. Got 85 as an average. When I connect in game I see around 112-120 usually. Will try the other tests later.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.