FPS Comparison

• There has been much debated about FPS, myths about how many FPS the human eye can see, to running 120 FPS on a 60Hz monitor. Well here is a nice site where you can see what a variety of FPS settings will look like, with and without motion blur. This will help you decide on possible settings, 60, 90, 120 FPS that will look best for your system.

I am also currently testing out something that claims to help minimize or eliminate the micro stutter in Chiv and it is counter intuitive to what you are being told. I will post up later.

For now, have a gander: https://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

• In full servers my fps drops to 11! Impossible to play

• Global Moderator

Tests at our university show that people can tell the difference in frame rates easily. Everyone that was tested can tell the difference between 30-60FPS and could identify what screen was at what framerate. Everyone could tell the there was a difference between 60-90 FPS and 17/18 could correctly identify what screen was what. And again every said there was a difference. However it was 50-50 when it came to saying what screen was at what framerate. By the look of their facial expressions they were all guessing. When we had two screens of the same framerate everyone pretty much said they were the same.

At the higher framerates they could tell the difference but not specify which was which. Though they were looking at both screens at once and it does get a little disorientating doing that.

• Feint reading must be way easier on 60 or even 120 fps. I didn’t actually know that the difference is that huge

• @afiNity:

Feint reading must be way easier on 60 or even 120 fps. I didn’t actually know that the difference is that huge

Yup that is why I posted the site to give players an idea of what the different FPS look like in compairson to the others and it allows for changing speed and motion blur.

• Global Moderator

You do need to have a 120hz screen to see the proper difference of 60 and 120hz.

• It’s been tested that people can tell the difference up to around 150fps.

• Actually the military did studies about recognizing enemy aircraft by fighter pilots and have been recorded spotting 1/255th of a frame

• There is a difference between spotting an anomaly amongst a backdrop in a minute time frame to tracking an object across multiple minute time frames.

Comparing a biological visual system to a straight electrical system is a simplistic approach to it.

Of course, with training, you can maxamise the use of high refresh monitors and frame rates. The real question is, is the comparatively small gain, and arguably diminishing returns the higher you go, worth the extra $'s pumped into it?

Some people say yes, some say no. It probably comes down to how much disposable income you have.

Don’t worry though kids, getting 120hz monitor over a 60hz monitor is not going double your skill level, you’d be lucky to get a 5% increase in skill imo.

• I want them hertz. Are there any good high refresh rate IPS panels?

• Global Moderator

Yeah spotting one frame out of place is something people can do all the way to 400 frames a second.

• you can read dagger feints with 144hz

• @dudeface:

I want them hertz. Are there any good high refresh rate IPS panels?

Not really, unless you overclock them by yourself. You can get an overclock anywhere from 75 to 120.

Still if you play games even somewhat competitively you are not going to care about better color reproduction once you get to 120+ Hz. I should know; I have both and I don’t even wanna touch any games with my 60hz Dell UH2414H.

Getting constant 120fps @ 120-144Hz is definitely an advantage. If you are a good player and can already read feints, jumping to 120 will make it (end everything else) A LOT easier. After 60 Hz it’s like fighting in slow motion because you can react to things better and faster. (E: it’s not a shortcut to skill, but still a huge advantage between two equally skilled players)

There is one downside though: sometimes when my FPS drops from 120 to say 110-115 the choppyness makes everything feel like I’m fighting in jello. I would rather play at constant 60fps @ 60Hz than 110-115fps @ 120 Hz. Maybe G-Sync or Freesync will make fps drops less noticeable.

• @dudeface:

I want them hertz. Are there any good high refresh rate IPS panels?

Essentially no. IPS offers superior color accuracy as well as (usually) constrast ratios. Better viewing angles too. But the drawbacks are significant for gamers. I don’t know of any IPS monitors that can reach 120 hz. Their latency is high too. 5 ms is usually the best you can find.

I’d stick with a reputable TN panel, and try to aim for a G-sync ready monitor. It makes any motion feel fluid. Never any jitter/stutter/screen tearing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-009-657

That is the monitor you want. Though it’s not exactly on the cheap side, it’s a beast.

@Fang:

Not really, unless you overclock them by yourself. You can get an overclock anywhere from 75 to 120.

Still if you play games even somewhat competitively you are not going to care about better color reproduction once you get to 120+ Hz. I should know; I have both and I don’t even wanna touch any games with my 60hz Dell UH2414H.

Getting constant 120fps @ 120-144Hz is definitely an advantage. If you are a good player and can already read feints, jumping to 120 will make it (end everything else) A LOT easier. After 60 Hz it’s like fighting in slow motion because you can react to things better and faster. (E: it’s not a shortcut to skill, but still a huge advantage between two equally skilled players)

There is one downside though: sometimes when my FPS drops from 120 to say 110-115 the choppyness makes everything feel like I’m fighting in jello. I would rather play at constant 60fps @ 60Hz than 110-115fps @ 120 Hz. Maybe G-Sync or Freesync will make fps drops less noticeable.

They make most fps variations undetectable (unless they are extreme variations). It’s the most underrated feature in a monitor at the moment.

• @The:

They make most fps variations undetectable (unless they are extreme variations). It’s the most underrated feature in a monitor at the moment.

Now I kinda regret buying a BenQ XL2420T(E) instead of the Asus because the BenQ doesn’t have G-Sync support out of the box. I’m getting another GTX 970 in a couple of weeks so it would be nice to aim for 144fps in most games + have G-Sync for those little frame drops.

Still I would like to test out a G-Sync monitor myself to actually see how it feels.

Have you actually had the chance to play around with one?

• Dropping $1200+ bucks on a monitor and a GFX card just to play Chiv stutter free is NOT ACCEPTABLE. If you have to get one or the other, get the GFX card. But not everyone has $500+ to spend just to get good FPS.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.