2 questions

• So I am not the best of players and after coming back from a hiatus,I have felt the game somehow has gotten harder. There are two things which bother me immensely and some help would be lovely.

1. When facing an archer in melee,how do I counter their close in and perma stun you with quick hits,when playing a knight. What weapons do you recommend as well as tactics, I use the kick off course but when they stun me its over.

2. Secondly if feel like when going head to head with an opponent, we can swing at the same time,land a hit at the same time,but when I am hit,it stuns me and prevents me from swinging while they land a hit and always follow up with a second,which is usually the closer? What am I missing?

• 1. Keep calm, don’t panic parry
    2. It just feels like that (majority of the times, there’s some bugs), actually he’s hitting you in your windup. You can feint during your windup and parry when you notice that you started a strike earlier/know that the enemy has shorter windup. Then riposte or w/e

• 1. If you are playing a knight, archer melee weapons won’t do a lot of damage to you. If you parry late on one of their attacks, don’t try to parry the combo, because the windup is too short and you’ll get hit again. Instead, eat the second hit (let it hit you) then make sure you parry the 3rd one. Some of the knight weapons can 1 shot an archer to the head with an overhead, so if he’s really close riposte with an overhead and look down into the swing.

• To address #1, you basically need to end the fight before they can get in your face. This generally means feinting, and playing extremely aggressively against archers. As a knight, you can take many more trades than an archer. So just fight aggressively and end it before they can get in your face with shortsword stabs and feints.

• Archer usually hits you with an arrow first, then stun locks you with super fast attacks.

But yeah you usually need to eat a hit and prepare to parry one.

Assuming the archer is not a noob you have to feint otherwise he will just parry, rinse and repeat.

Archers fire warhammer style hits from range, it is brutal but TBS did not even care enough to make any changes in the last balance patch.

• @Oilystool:

2. Melee: To be able to withstand a knight or van coming at you with a melee weapon,you have to be more of a skilled melee fighter as an archer if you expect to come out of a melee encounter alive. While an armored opponent can suffer a hit or two and still prevail, an archer must practically be flawless in their melee combat to come out on top when fighting an opponent.

Straight out of http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/21971-Regarding-the-nerfs-to-archer-class/page2

So why are you flip flopping? You say in OP that you get rekt by archer melee then turn around 5 days later and say it’s fine. I bet you weren’t even fighting a top-tier archer in melee either.

• @KevLar:

Straight out of http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/21971-Regarding-the-nerfs-to-archer-class/page2

So why are you flip flopping? You say in OP that you get rekt by archer melee then turn around 5 days later and say it’s fine. I bet you weren’t even fighting a top-tier archer in melee either.

Just because a class can best me with the tools they have doesn’t mean I’m going to piss and moan and demand that they be nerfed because I lost.Instead I try to adapt and look for tactics as opposed to demand that a class gets nerfed because I could not win in that particular encounter.

• with archer it might help to to dance on the edge of his/urs range so he gets scared then feint.

2nd q - its might sound retarded, but if see someone looking with an intention i just run away, because i know he spent half his life on a dueling server and hes ready for me and will **** me cuz i am shit, so i backstab his mates, steal his cart and steal his bike… If you wanna go head to head with some crazy dudes you will ahve to spend a lot of time dueling them to get better, theres no cheap secret around it sadly

• For number one, when I use knight I take out my secondary to kill archers.
    Even then, archers wreck me.

I suck as a ranged archer, when I’m an archer I just take my knife and go 5-1 because melee archers are op as ****.

• 1. Archers take bonus damage from slashing weapons, but knights have a few 2h weapons that 1 shot archers and 1 1h weapon. Longsword overhead to head, messer LMB to head, maul overhead to torso, grand mace overhead to head, and double axe overhead to torso all one shot archer. Messer 1h LMB to head also one shots archer. If the archer isn’t bad then your best bet however would be using any of the 1h or 2h bastard swords and controlling the range with proper footwork, shields are also good against archer melee as you can read their feint to kicks easily since their weapons can only “fast feint.” Most knights run Norse sword as a secondary so you can consider that as well. Be patient, don’t panic, and parry correctly.

2. What you’re seeing is what’s known as flinching. If you are hit during your “wind up” animation, you will be flinched. Depending on your ping (if you’re 70+, for instance) you can also be flinched out of your release which isn’t supposed to happen. There are 3 main phases to any swing: wind up, release, and recovery. Wind up is when you’re bringing your weapon up and preparing for the swing: this is when you’re flinchable. Release is when you start the swing towards the enemy and it can start doing damage at this point. This is supposed to be unflinchable. Recovery is the period after the swing when you’re bringing your weapon back to a neutral state. You’re wide open for damage at this point. Additionally you can combo after your release to skip recovery and have a faster wind up on the next attack, but if you’re hit during that wind up it’s also flinchable.

• Nice month long necro