BETA - Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Patch 30

• It’s a good start, can’t wait to test it.

• I rarely play Chivalry now days, although the Greatsword changes seems to be pretty fair, although you should probably consider putting the claymore back to its old state with these changes.

Brandistock slap nerf is also good, as for messer. I guess that’s also nice.

But the chase speed could maybe try with additional 10-25% extra speed since 10% doesn’t do that much.
    It is not the fact that we players think that the chase speed is too low, what bothers us is how the chase speed gets broken all the time.
    Rather than having your chase speed bonus get reduced instantly, you might consider trying to make it so that when you kinda lose the chase bonus, the extra speed will slowly reduce to the original max speed rather than instantly, could help with making chasing a lot easier and less buggy

• please bring back slash damage and nerf overhead windup on messer instead, it needs to oneshot man at arms to stay relevant once you buff LS.

reduce feint stabwindow by .75ms globally, it’d make all feint readable in all scenarios, then GIVE US MORE STAMINA SO THE GAME ISNT SO DAMN RESTRICTED. Just take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llnRxtazljg&list=PLOYKiydJ0PeOR5JlUMmxgita3CG368lQD (sorry for long url) Had this been recorded at the current build, both of them would have been out of stamina 20 seconds in. Stamina is needed a lot for feint to parry in duel AND 1vN scenarios, in duels it’s at least manageable but in 1vN you are always doomed to die because you simply don’t have enough stamina to prevent trades or even to normally parry the enemies.

• Also now that the maps are in, please continue doing subsequent balance changes within a smaller timeframe. We waited for this patch for over a month already.

Also archers are TOP PRIORITY if you still want to salvage any competitive scene left.

• @Monsteri:

please bring back slash damage and nerf overhead windup on messer instead, it needs to oneshot man at arms to stay relevant once you buff LS.

reduce feint stabwindow by .75ms globally, it’d make all feint readable in all scenarios, then GIVE US MORE STAMINA SO THE GAME ISNT SO DAMN RESTRICTED. Just take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llnRxtazljg&list=PLOYKiydJ0PeOR5JlUMmxgita3CG368lQD (sorry for long url) Had this been recorded at the current build, both of them would have been out of stamina 20 seconds in. Stamina is needed a lot for feint to parry in duel AND 1vN scenarios, in duels it’s at least manageable but in 1vN you are always doomed to die because you simply don’t have enough stamina to prevent trades or even to normally parry the enemies.

Mostly agree. But as others have said, Messer needed a overhead windup increase mostly.

• @OPxMike:

Nerf messer overhand windup, and add some buffs.

This. Slash damage? Messer is a beast with its Overhead!
    Please consider this for a future iteration of the beta patch.

• A few things, the Brandi damage i think needs tweaked (r.e. lowered) just slightly.

Messer OH attack is still way to fast allowing for hit trades and general other bullshot, It should feel like the VGs Zwei very damaging but very slow on all attacks.

Broadsword was not addressed, Its still the best option by a mile and second to none for versatility and damage + reach for MAA and knight secondary.

Will there be multiple betas with more weapon balance changes?

• There were no palm trees in Castle Assault O.o

• Keep it up TB! Gettin there!

• ok well a patch is a patch, at lesast something is changing.

More balance needed please, this is battle for BALANCE.

Nerfing messer just makes 1 less strong counter to maa’s… so we do want these nerfs but not if maa isn’t going to get shit, it just makes them stronger not having to worry about 3 more counters to them.

archer nerf when?

• Yep, just nerf knights and vanguards to make man at arms and archers even more OP. Where are the archer and MaA nerfs? Where’s the stamina usage reductions? Where’s the longsword buffs? GS way too nerfed. Do not even think about adding this to live unless you give massive nerfs to MaAs and archers, too. I play SoW and zweihander so the messer, GS and brandi nerfs aren’t affecting me personally but it’s limiting viable options.

We waited so long for this? Sigh. It’s 2013 June patch all over again. Here’s my feedback:

• Reduced Messer slash damage from 95 to 90. (Should be 92 or 93, whatever it takes to allow 1 shotting archers but not MaAs to the head, also could use .05 wind up increase to allow for more reliable flinching. Same with combos and overheads. Leave stab speed the same but reduce its damage so overhead + stab combo to torso does not 2 shot vanguards, messer should not be stabbing often at all.)
    • Increased Greatsword slash windup from 0.5 to 0.55 (0.55 seems too harsh. I’ll have to play it in live to know for sure, since beta is never populated enough.)
    • Increased Greatsword overhead windup from 0.5 to 0.6 (Really stupid nerf. Way too much. 0.55 at the most.)
    • Increased Brandistock slash windup from 0.5 to 0.6 (This is good, maybe not enough. We’ll have to see. The only reason brand isn’t fun to play against is because of its incredibly different wind ups, this will help.)
    • Increase chase mechanic boost to speed by 10% (This isn’t going to help much at all. Return forward chase, make chase kick in immediately when moving forward a target you have cursor on. Still really easy to break line of sight with the dot and the moment you lose that dot on your enemy, you have to start all over. 10% speed increase won’t make much of a difference. Game was way better with forward chase and made back pedaling a punishable offense. Also helped keep MaAs more balanced. The “wait time” for chase mechanic to kick in while chasing needs to go, also make it easier to hit people’s backs when they’re sprinting away from you.

Revert MaA foot speed to before the dodge nerfs, would still probably need to reduce it further. Make MaAs only have 4 dodges with no room for feints/resetting fights to get stamina back. Make MaAs vulnerable to damage after they dodge so you can punish a correct dodge read, where they can’t parry/attack/dodge again shortly after dodging. Fix dodging out of flinch/stun daze. Don’t nerf broad sword yet, see how MaAs play after these changes before then.

Reduce all damage from archer projectiles by 50% except to other archers. Reduce thrown javs only by 30%. Buff longbow/shortbow/sling ect. later after these nerfs kick in for awhile.

Reduce stamina usage on parry/feint/combo feint/knight shield block. Combo feint to parry should cost a lot of stamina, but buff the animation so it’s just as fast/good as it was before it was removed (It’s currently too slow).

Fix catapult having fast clicks instead of slow clicks.

• @DaGGyzo:

Balance

• Reduced Messer slash damage from 95 to 90.
    • Increased Greatsword slash windup from 0.5 to 0.55

This just shows again how you have no clue about balance. Nerfing messer slash doesn’t make any sense as it’s supposed to be a slashing weapon, it’s the overhead that is too strong and fast. GS slash nerf? Why the fuck? Should’ve been stab windup to 0.6 instead. Well, I certainly didn’t have any expectations though.

• Developer

Balance and patching is an iterative process, so we appreciate the feedback on things to adjust and will be making some changes in the future betas.

• New maps are fun, I like Cove a lot.

As for balance, those are small incrementals after one month, still waiting on broadsword stab and archer xbow and bow nerf. Well and stamina increase, kicks working, and… oh well hopefully you have the list.

• Global Moderator

You missed out two maps.

• @Albert!:

This just shows again how you have no clue about balance. Nerfing messer slash doesn’t make any sense as it’s supposed to be a slashing weapon, it’s the overhead that is too strong and fast. GS slash nerf? Why the fuck? Should’ve been stab windup to 0.6 instead. Well, I certainly didn’t have any expectations though.

messer will be crap vs maas now

• Mod

Need to kill the killparticles command, hugely exploitable by archers. Gets rid of smoke and firepot effects.

Patch is underwhelming balance-wise, was expecting more after over a month and dozens of threads.

• Global Moderator

@Tibberius:

Balance and patching is an iterative process, so we appreciate the feedback on things to adjust and will be making some changes in the future betas.

What feedback did you listen to that said to change slash values for those weapons???

With those changes you have made overhead the only attack to do with the messer which was the original problem and have made the greatsword into an LMB spam weapon.

• Found a couple small issues. All knight swords use the broadsword model when used one handed. My Mason Barbarian Knight DLC didn’t work when used on Kings Garden, it just reverted back to the default Mason Knight skin.

• I can’t really play the beta (shitty ping), but hopefully lots of veterans will give it a try and test it out as long as needed. Just so things don’t look good ONLY on paper.

About that Sharantil video, I only watched the first 30 seconds of the fight. It’s not an insanely paced battle and stamina use seems on par with current values.
    Those players did not feint into parry, nor CFtP, nor tried to kick. They didn’t miss any swings, no useless jumps. Since both players are using LS, the drain and stam use of that build would be almost identical to current build. I mean, the battle lasts 30 secs and the winner is left with little stamina afterwards. Pretty good stamina management, also achievable in Sep 2014.