How exactly was the archer flinch removed?

• I was just thinking the other day, I want to know HOW the devs coded the removal of the archer projectile flinch.

My theory: this has something to do with why people don’t flinch and a lot of wonky ass shit with flinch is happening. Say for example (this is not really it) that they made it so that blunt damage doesn’t flinch. Obviously that’s not the case, but then blunt weapons may not flinch either.

I feel like something with the way they coded the removal of archer flinch somehow affects flinching somehow. I think we’ve all experienced the no flinches.

I’ve noticed these flinch issues (that i can think of)

1.) No flinch at all. You hit them while they are not swinging, land a hit and they still swing at you uninterrupted as if they are a teammate.

2.) Get a hit on someone and they immediately begin a swing afterward as if they riposted being hit rather than parrying.

3.) Team damage cancelling attack which i basically consider to be flinched if my attack get canceled out by them. And to all the morons that are going to respond and say “HNNNNGHHHH team flinch doesn’t exist”. Yeah, it’s not supposed to but they still cancel out my attacks. This goes for any weapon including projectiles, which leads me to my next point.

4.) Arrows canceling attack… yep it still happens from time to time.

5.) Hit trades canceling the damage of the other players release.

added, 6.) Javelin throw recovery flinch, unable to block combo or 2nd strike after being hit in throw recovery.

So, yeah i saw the thread about flinch in release being gone. My answer: flinch in release being gone is a good thing in my opinion, however, flinch in general is broken now. It’s not the removal of flinch in release… its the breaking of the flinch mechanic in general now that is the issue.

• Global Moderator

I haven’t noticed any of that. Under normal circumstances. If its laggy some of that stuff might happen. But as far as the server and code is concerned its doing it right.

• you don’t notice anything lemon. NEXT please.

• Yep, I notice most of these. Melee in particular just seems broken with regards to flinch. Messer is supposed to be slow, yet it seems virtually impossible to flinch now. There are DEFINITELY bugs with flinch at the moment which might well be to do with the archer flinch nerf, if they’re not it’s a big coincidence. Hopefully they’ll be addressed in the upcoming patch.

Not wanting to thread hijack, but the other problem I notice a lot since the last patch is with 3rd person; when fighting people who are in 3rd, a lot of my attacks seem to phase right through. I’ve got noting other than anecdotal evidence of this, but I’m just curious if other people are experiencing it too.

• Number 4 happens sometimes, it looks like a flinch, then all of a sudden their attack animations continues by some sort of black magic.

• Global Moderator

No one complained about any of this because It doesn’t happen. Get it on video.

1 and 2 are just lag lol. On their screen what you saw didn’t happen.

• @50ShadesofClay:

1.) No flinch at all. You hit them while they are not swinging, land a hit and they still swing at you uninterrupted as if they are a teammate.

2.) Get a hit on someone and they immediately begin a swing afterward as if they riposted being hit rather than parrying.

3.) Team damage cancelling attack which i basically consider to be flinched if my attack get canceled out by them. And to all the morons that are going to respond and say “HNNNNGHHHH team flinch doesn’t exist”. Yeah, it’s not supposed to but they still cancel out my attacks. This goes for any weapon including projectiles, which leads me to my next point.

4.) Arrows canceling attack… yep it still happens from time to time.

5.) Hit trades canceling the damage of the other players release.

1.) Happened to me just yesterday with good ping on both ends. This may be just another case of #2 during a lag spike.

2.) Like I told you in the other thread this keeps happening to me on low ping servers with other low ping players (~50-60 all around). They are literally riposting off my weapon hitting them like they somehow managed to parry+riposte after getting hit.

3.) While I haven’t noticed getting my attack canceled by teammates I have been in situations where I was smashing RMB for a second after getting team-slashed and was unable to parry.

4.) I still often see the flinch animation play when shooting people whose swing is in release, only to discover that the attack wasn’t really canceled like the animation would indicate and I get my head chopped off.

5.) Never happened to me.

@lemonater47:

If it was just lag there would be other indications of lag during the 10 minute round, not only getting bullshit-riposted three times.

Those things NEVER happened to me before the update.

1. I think there is no one who hasnt experienced this
    2. i was on both ends of this since release
    3. I cant say
    4. Yep now that you are not supposed to get flinched at all it is very easy to notice then is happens and it happens!!
      Then there is also the thing with block removal then you get hit by a projectile
    5. I wish this was in the game but i havent seen it

There is also the thing that arrows make someone play a flinch animation that disguises his attack

• @lemonater47:

i’ll ask you once nicely, please refrain from posting anything else in this thread.

• oh one more thing to add, it’s flinch related but not new. Getting hit during javelin recovery renders you incapable of blocking 2 attacks, the one that hits you during recovery… AND the combo, the shield won’t raise. It’s been an issue for a while now.

• Mod

Getting shot also cancels your combo, which can be worse than flinch if you’re using a weapon with a long recovery time.

• @Kim:

Getting shot also cancels your combo, which can be worse than flinch if you’re using a weapon with a long recovery time.

what was that thing you posted somewhere ( i can’t find it ) you were talking about some action that makes your tracers go apeshit.

i guess its kind of like what hitting the ram or putting out the fire do to your tracers, LOL.

Kind of unrelated but i wonder if it accounts for why in a hit trade one weapons tracers seem to be flinched but the animation isn’t. Seems like the tracers get removed or they are altered to miss, or don’t do damage.

• Mod

@50ShadesofClay:

what was that thing you posted somewhere ( i can’t find it ) you were talking about some action that makes your tracers go apeshit.

i guess its kind of like what hitting the ram or putting out the fire do to your tracers, LOL.

Kind of unrelated but i wonder if it accounts for why in a hit trade one weapons tracers seem to be flinched but the animation isn’t. Seems like the tracers get removed or they are altered to miss, or don’t do damage.

Aimpunch, when you get hit your screen shakes and bounces around which moves your tracers around randomly, making you miss.

• @lemonater47:

ye clay its just placebo you should get a better pc internet

• @Kim:

Aimpunch, when you get hit your screen shakes and bounces around which moves your tracers around randomly, making you miss.

I thought we all agreed to call that a tongue-punch

• Mod

@kanGuru:

I thought we all agreed to call that a tongue-punch

Right, cause it punches your tongue.

• i hate when ez mode maa tries to force tonguepunches on my fartbox

• Yeah I wanted to come in and rage about flinch being non existent any more and the game becoming Chivalry: Hit Trade Warfare. Well except if you play double axe, maul or halberd, they get caught in a flinch loop once you get flinched because the weapons are so slow and if you get off timing with the parry while being spammed, you are pretty much flinch spammed to death.

The flinch has always been wonky if not terribly inconsistent at best. But now it is non existent. This sucks for the slow weapons that relied on the flinch mechanic (when it worked) where you should get a flinch and be able to follow up with another hit. Against the fast spammy weapons you just don’t have much of a prayer.

• the way tbs fixes stuff, we’re getting archer flinch back :)

• @J-P:

the way tbs fixes stuff, we’re getting archer flinch back :)

lmao good one

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.