Zweihander Specifications?

• Alright so, a buyer on MyArmory asked me to forge a functional replica of Chivalry’s Flamberge Zweihander for LARP. Does anyone know the weapon’s specifics or know of any forum posts showing the weapon’s blueprints? I’ve checked MyArmory but there’s no solid specs to go by. SPECIFIC ANSWERS ONLY, NO TROLLS.

• Global Moderator

The zweihander is more commonly known as the flamberge. I think they went with the name Zweihander as it sounds more awesome and abbreviates better. Even though it just means two hander in German. Flamberge means flame blade.

Length wise its probably around 180cm long. No idea how they made the wavy blade. And modern replicas I have seen cheated and used modern stainless steel.

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?3227-How-d-they-do-that-Kris-Flamberge-blades
    thats a discussion on how wavy bladed swords were made. Kris is another kind of wavy sword though its very different. They discuss a bunch of sword and steel related things I don’t understand but maybe you will.

• @lemonater47:

The zweihander is more commonly known as the flamberge. I think they went with the name Zweihander as it sounds more awesome and abbreviates better. Even though it just means two hander in German. Flamberge means flame blade.

Length wise its probably around 180cm long. No idea how they made the wavy blade. And modern replicas I have seen cheated and used modern stainless steel.

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?3227-How-d-they-do-that-Kris-Flamberge-blades
    thats a discussion on how wavy bladed swords were made. Kris is another kind of wavy sword though its very different. They discuss a bunch of sword and steel related things I don’t understand but maybe you will.

Aye I do understand as I’ve made both a regular Zweihander and Flamberge Zweihander before, unfortunately it isn’t specifically what I’m looking for as they’re wanting an exact replica. Do you know any references to the sword? Such as was it based off a museum specimen?

• Global Moderator

I think they Frankensteined it a bit. Taking the hilt from another sword and sticking it on.

A case of the artists impression.

• Can you make me a Longsword? I’d pay $500 for a decent longsword.

• Couldn’t you extract the model out of the game files and take measurements from that?

• I’d pay $1000 for a gr8 sword. How do you go about learning and setting up a smithy? Seems tough to find the tools and knowledge considering how old the technology is.

• @Fang:

Couldn’t you extract the model out of the game files and take measurements from that?

What would you compare it to, though?

• @Fang:

Couldn’t you extract the model out of the game files and take measurements from that?

much easier to download the template:
    https://tornbannerjira.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CHIVCOM/Zweihander

• You can open it with Blender or any 3D software, though scale and units may not be imported properly.
    • No idea how OP could take exact measurements out of the game though, as Chiv/UDK probably uses its own unit system.
    • Maybe you could shape it after the ingame’s sword and use the dimensions of other flamberge swords. Or compare it to the dimensions of an average sized human hand wearing a glove, or that of the buyer hand’s so it’s up to his own scale.
    • It might be based on some historical museum piece or perhaps not, like the Longsword which is not like any longsword you’d find in any museum.

• 1,70m of pure archer death and blood

• I thought it was 12ft lag hakn.

• @Xylvion:

I thought it was 12ft lag hakn.

Yes this too, take notes OP

• @Oy:

I’d pay $1000 for a gr8 sword. How do you go about learning and setting up a smithy? Seems tough to find the tools and knowledge considering how old the technology is.

Well, smithing in itself is long, hot, expensive and arduous work born from passion rather than simply trying it, first thing you need a tutor, someone that has done it for years and years, then once you gain some skill you can get your own setup with a furnace and some tools. That’s how it went for me at least, as for my own works, sabres and heavy great swords like Zweihanders are my specialty, I COULD make a long sword but it wouldn’t be worth 300 dollars… which, in smithing, is a bad thing. You may check out some people on MyArmory, lots of clients and smiths go there for suggestions and to ask smiths to make them something.
    http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/ Try the “Makers and Manufacturers” subforum.
    Or better yet, If you’re not a fan of looking for a smith, try http://www.kultofathena.com/ they buy and distribute from literally EVERY official manufacturer around.

• Thanks man, that’s pretty awesome. I was watching the man at arms videos on YouTube where they make movie/video game melee weapon recreations. The only time I’ve seen a minecraft sword look dangerous, and a Kratos blade look realistic, is on that show.

• @Oy:

Thanks man, that’s pretty awesome. I was watching the man at arms videos on YouTube where they make movie/video game melee weapon recreations. The only time I’ve seen a minecraft sword look dangerous, and a Kratos blade look realistic, is on that show.

Nice, I’ve seen those, if you wanna see some real awesome weapon demonstrations with a bit of nice gore, check out Cold Steel’s videos on YouTube, the Viking Axe is my personal favorite

• Are they functional or just decorative?