Congratulations for only nerfing archer on archer combat.

• Global Moderator

Warbow broadheads do not one hit kill archers and are now completely useless.
    As is the crossbow completely useless.

Meaning there’s essentially gonna be no one shooting at other archers. As there’s no point. Everyone’s gonna use bodkins. So there will be more archers focused on shooting into melee. And if you want to kill other archers the only choice now is the heavy crossbow. Which is multi purpose.

Well done TB, well done community. You made your “problem” even worse and made archer less rewarding as a whole. Should of made changes that kept gameplay rewarding.

• @lemonater47:

Warbow broadheads do not one hit kill archers and are now completely useless.
    As is the crossbow completely useless.

Meaning there’s essentially gonna be no one shooting at other archers. As there’s no point. Everyone’s gonna use bodkins. So there will be more archers focused on shooting into melee. And if you want to kill other archers the only choice now is the heavy crossbow. Which is multi purpose.

Well done TB, well done community. You made your “problem” even worse and made archer less rewarding as a whole. Should of made changes that kept gameplay rewarding.

You’re in the very small minority for this view point. Not my preferred changes but much better then before the change. I thought accuracy should have taken the hit and cross-airs removed with stamina based sway.

• As most people want but feel won’t be done, TB really needs to add a system so that archers take damage from arrows independently from melee classes. Nobody wants to stop archers from 1 shotting other archers with torso shots.

• I still can’t find the post with new archer changes, I guess I am too lazy to search.

• @AmishInsurgent:

As most people want but feel won’t be done, TB really needs to add a system so that archers take damage from arrows independently from melee classes. Nobody wants to stop archers from 1 shotting other archers with torso shots.

lite crossbow will be the best counter arch weapon if that will be the case

• Global Moderator

@Huggles:

You’re in the very small minority for this view point. Not my preferred changes but much better then before the change. I thought accuracy should have taken the hit and cross-airs removed with stamina based sway.

Thats making archer useless and completely luck based lol.

And what viewpoin? I was stating that they have taken away the archers anti archer capabilities. The normal crossbows only role is against archers. And now no one will use broadheads.

So where does that leave archer?

• @gregcau:

I still can’t find the post with new archer changes, I guess I am too lazy to search.

Same beta post as the other changes, scroll down to BETA 2. (where the hell have you been all this time? they usually do this with their beta notes)

• What they need to do is just use some sort of code or special damage negotiation - so that classes such as knight example have more resistance to archer - or alternate less dame taken to legs or something

• Global Moderator

Massive damage reduction to the legs for al ranged, throwables, bows and crossbows. Making shields far more appealing.

• @zombojoe:

lite crossbow will be the best counter arch weapon if that will be the case

Or longbow + bodkin. That’s probably my new go-to if the warbow-broad nerf goes through.

Still 2HK on archer, MAA, Vanguard, 3HK to knight, but faster movement speed, more arrows in quiver, and more arrows fired per min.

GG melee you just nerfed the anti-archer and you’re going to spawn a bunch of archers who use the medium bows and pester you with more arrows.

• @Xylvion:

Same beta post as the other changes, scroll down to BETA 2. (where the hell have you been all this time? they usually do this with their beta notes)

omg I swear I looked for them that way, ok found them now - maybe I was drunk before.

I like the changes, perfect, lets roll this into live. Lemonater is a bad archer so of course he will complain.

Heavy xbow still one shot knights in the head but I guess it is slow so I can live with that. Zombo voted for no archer nerfs as well so all good.

• The only nerf archer needs is less range on crossbows but higher bolt velocity so they’re short range guns like they’re supposed to be, and bows are for sniping. The knight arrow resistance, and leg/arm damage reduction for all also soundß like a good idea. And remove crosshairs from ranged weapons so you have to aim with the weapon model like AoC. What was wrong with the old skill-based aiming system? We don’t need crosshairs, it’s not Chivalry: Black Ops.

• Global Moderator

@Oy:

The only nerf archer needs is less range on crossbows but higher bolt velocity so they’re short range guns like they’re supposed to be, and bows are for sniping. The knight arrow resistance, and leg/arm damage reduction for all also soundß like a good idea. And remove crosshairs from ranged weapons so you have to aim with the weapon model like AoC. What was wrong with the old skill-based aiming system? We don’t need crosshairs, it’s not Chivalry: Black Ops.

Nit as simple as removing the crosshair.

They would have to completely redo all the animations. Again. But this time match them up so it aims.

Thoigh it won’t affect balance doing that. Aiming with the weapon model is the exact same as a crosshair. It doesn’t add skill lol. More immersive yes.

And I don’t know how they would do with having shorter ranges with crossbows. The air is already butter. Archer weapon ranged are already way smaller. The trajectory of crossbows would be like firing bricks from them.

• @lemonater47:

Nit as simple as removing the crosshair.

They would have to completely redo all the animations. Again. But this time match them up so it aims.

Thoigh it won’t affect balance doing that. Aiming with the weapon model is the exact same as a crosshair. It doesn’t add skill lol. More immersive yes.

You’re wrong in that it does create a skill gap, having to re-learn all of the ranged trajectories, and how to find that sweet spot. Long range snipes would be much harder to pull off, at least until you master the weapon. Also it wouldn’t be very hard to slightly tweak the bows to tilt the arrow like a pointer, put ironsights on the crossbow, and jav/sling don’t need any help, you don’t have an aimer for them in RL and throwing weapons are fundamentally different than tension-launched projectiles. It doesn’t “add skill”, it just increases the learning curve and only good archers should really be a threat anyway when you think about it.

And I don’t know how they would do with having shorter ranges with crossbows. The air is already butter. Archer weapon ranged are already way smaller. The trajectory of crossbows would be like firing bricks from them.

Can you please try again, this time string together a coherent sentence? I think what you’re saying is how do we make crossbows short ranged without making them like potato launchers? Well I didn’t say we had to give them Javelin range or , but if a guy is 300 feet away, you have to compensate for range more with a bow than a crossbow, which doesn’t make sense. Bows shoot aero-dynamic, balanced slivers of wood made for going great distances with good precision. ,rossbows shoot big fat heavy bolts that are made for closer ranged targets, say 20-250 feet. If a guy is 300 feet away and you have a light crossbow, he should be well out of range. Yet in this game LCB is a better sniper than a longbow. Cross ows should be short-ranged compared to bows, because they’re supposed to be incredibly powerful and good at puncturing plate armor. An arrow is for puncturing leather and chainmail. Crossbows should be close range anti-knight weapons with fewer bolts, bows should be totally ineffective against Knights unless you can land a headshot or two.

• @Oy:

You’re wrong in that it does create a skill gap, having to re-learn all of the ranged trajectories, and how to find that sweet spot. Long range snipes would be much harder to pull off, at least until you master the weapon. Also it wouldn’t be very hard to slightly tweak the bows to tilt the arrow like a pointer, put ironsights on the crossbow, and jav/sling don’t need any help, you don’t have an aimer for them in RL and throwing weapons are fundamentally different than tension-launched projectiles. It doesn’t “add skill”, it just makes increases the learning curve and only good archers should really be a threat anyway when you think about it.

Lol so fuck all the time archers have put into practicing the class, right? Let’s just completely change the mechanics so that they all have to start from scratch. It’s too late in the games lifecycle to consider something like that.

• Lets see what the Beta 3 patch notes say…

I’m all for archer nerfs, these pricks have ruined one too many of my games, I too have no problem limiting a class which ruins the melee experience… in what I see as a melee focused game.

I do think these current changes we’ve seen in BETA 2 are a step in the right direction…. lower damage is fantastic when melee classes are shot.
    However… I’d still rather see archers one-shot each other more often. It seems that either head shots or heavy xbows are necessary now. The problem IS that most archers are not going to focus archers anymore for the easy one shot kill. ARCHERS want to hit the TORSO! Its so damn easy to hit, GOOD archers can stay consistent. Now asking for head shots will just make people pick the versatile ranged weapons… and hit EVERYONE indiscriminately.

Or maybe… they’ll all learn to headshot… more often. :barbershop_quartet_

No… I’d rather see Archers assist the melee fighters by focusing the other archers. Remove the consistent/easy one-shot capabilities on the torso… then we’re actually going to see more arrows coming our way as no one will be shooting the archers! :frown-new: (Unless you use Heavy XBOW, which is actually pretty fun hehe:congratulatory:)

Archers could perhaps have different ‘Resistance’ figures meaning that despite the lowered damages on the other 3 classes they would still get one shot. Meaning… archers keep an incentive to shoot at other archers to secure easy kills while potentially less melee guys are hit because archers dont give a damn!

Lets see what the Beta 3 patch notes say…

• @YarnuTheDog:

I’m all for archer nerfs, these pricks have ruined one too many of my games, I too have no problem limiting a class which ruins the melee experience… in what I see as a melee focused game.

What gives you the impression it’s a melee focused game, aside from personal bias? All of the mechanics on release (archer class, throwables, ballistas, catapults) say otherwise.

Like it or not, archer is in the game and should be balanced among the other 4 classes, not nerfed to oblivion because you feel it hampers your experience.

No… I’d rather see Archers assist the melee fighters by focusing the other archers.

Archers are not meant to be a little side game within a game. They should still be deadly against melee when they are not being effectively countered (balanced, but more than a pea shooter).

• @entire:

Lol so fuck all the time archers have put into practicing the class, right?

That’s exactly right, fuck em. The class is fundamentally flawed, ask anybody who doesn’t main archer. You just want to keep your OP medieval sniper class so you can keep sitting back and getting kills effortlessly. I prefer Knight over VG, hardly play MaA too much, and play a lot of archer. You know why? Because repeatedly ripping people off and frustrating then by shooting them from a distance is hilariously easy and I can defend it just by saying “well it’s in the game so it’s OK, just use a shield Herp derp derp”

• @entire:

Lol so fuck all the time archers have put into practicing the class, right? Let’s just completely change the mechanics so that they all have to start from scratch. It’s too late in the games lifecycle to consider something like that.

Yes. The majority of good archer mains want the class to be less impactful and have major fundamental changes to fit in the game better, as well as everyone else. This game’s life cycle never really existed as there’s already been many major changes since this game started and still doesn’t have a real competitive scene. Archers are a big reason why this game doesn’t have a big competitive scene.

• @Oy:

That’s exactly right, fuck em. The class is fundamentally flawed, ask anybody who doesn’t main archer. You just want to keep your OP medieval sniper class so you can keep sitting back and getting kills effortlessly. I prefer Knight over VG, hardly play MaA too much, and play a lot of archer. You know why? Because repeatedly ripping people off and frustrating then by shooting them from a distance is hilariously easy and I can defend it just by saying “well it’s in the game so it’s OK, just use a shield Herp derp derp”

Nice assumptions. I do consider myself an archer primary, but I play Knight about 80% of the time. The only scenarios where archer is sometimes advantageous is Stoneshill or Darkforest TO, otherwise I go Knight. Even then, I often have to switch from Archer to Knight if my team is getting overwhelmed in melee.

I’m not against nerfing the OP components of the archer class. I was in favor of removal of the backstab bonus. I’m in favor of a nerf to short sword stab on vanguards. I’m in favor of a light crossbow nerf. But I think flinching attacks should be returned and that the rest of the bows are balanced. The only other change I’d maybe make is reduce the coverage of the pavise shield when reloading so that a crossbow archer isn’t invincible when playing on the wall in Stoneshill. It’s not in my favor to overbuff archers either, since again, I mainly play Knight. You simply aren’t being reasonable and you’re not even trying to hide it. You want archer overnerfed and to become a useless class so that you can dominate more as melee.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.