Holding servers "hostage"

• So I joined a public 32 slot server to find that there were four people on the server, who vote kicked me immediately for no apparent reason. None of them said anything, or replied when I asked why. My ping was fine, I had not even stepped out of the spawn area and had said nothing at all to them prior to being kicked. I can only assume they wanted to do their own thing on the server, as I have had people complain about some of these guys beforehand. Is this right for them to do? I felt quite miffed off about it.

The two users who I know voted me off were:

AFrydTurtle

Sexy Potato

But there were two others on the server at the time who did not say anything, assumingly going with the vote.

What do?

• Join this group or the chat room to see if a moderator is online so we can go sort it out.
    https://steamcommunity.com/groups/chivserveradmin

People are shameless cretins and this happens often.

• This happens often early in the evening. I say remove votekick from FFA servers if under 8 players are present and the pings are fine. It’s being abused more in FFA than used for something actually useful like kicking laggers or abusive players. It’s the internet anyway so I would gladly watch 7 people call each other names and not get kicked (doesn’t effect the actual gameplay) than get votekicked by server sitters.

This happened to me just yesterday three times but via the Steam group I got Dudeface to help me and free the server they held hostage for an hour.

• Global Moderator

Listen servers are coming. Hopefully this should largely fix this issue.

Still its a long ban on our servers if you do this.

• Sometimes it’s because people want to play with a couple friends, but usually it happens to me just because of rank. 4 or 5 rank 10-30’s playing, then a 48 joins. Kick him! He’s better than us!

• Love when this happens on my server. Some Russian dudes try to kick me off while insulting me in some unknown language and gank up on me in FFA. This is where I go Superb H4xx0r Admin Mode. I got the setteamdamageamount command bound to some keys, allowing me to deal 50x damage while taking 0x as long as I press the buttons in time.

They either rage or keep insulting me until I just perma-ban 'em.
    Seriously though, I hate server hijackers. Especially on official servers. Too goddamn stupid to take the time to learn how to host their own server, so they just claim someone else’s and abuse the votekick system.

• Global Moderator

Endless loop of the adminswitchteam command is fun. As it kills them to swap the teams.

Problem is it doesn’t work like other commands. You have to type their whole name in and if they have special characters you are screwed. I like the other system of a list popping up and typing in confirm 0 or whatever number. Good thing you can just use the up arrow in the console to go through previous entered commands.

• @Rickvs:

Love when this happens on my server. Some Russian dudes try to kick me off while insulting me in some unknown language and gank up on me in FFA. This is where I go Superb H4xx0r Admin Mode. I got the setteamdamageamount command bound to some keys, allowing me to deal 50x damage while taking 0x as long as I press the buttons in time.

They either rage or keep insulting me until I just perma-ban 'em.
    Seriously though, I hate server hijackers. Especially on official servers. Too goddamn stupid to take the time to learn how to host their own server, so they just claim someone else’s and abuse the votekick system.

That sounds pretty fun, what is the command string that you have bound and do you have it toggled to turn off/on at the key stroke?

• Wow, I didn’t realize this was becoming an epidemic. This just happened to me yesterday. I joined and got insta voted. There were 4 players including me with a 75% yes, so obviously all 3 of them were trying to horde it for themselves.

I just ~disconnect and move on. Thanks for the info DudeFace, I will definitely be joining when I get back to my personal PC.