Idea: What archer arrows should be

• Hello,

I often play as an archer, because I love landing arrows in my opponents face (archer is by far my preferred class with MaA).

As an archer player, I play with all 3 bows and I mainly concentrate my shots on enemy archers to help my teammates in TO. I would like to share some ideas about damages changes based on my little gaming experience as an archer:

–-----------------------------------------

A) Firing arrow: What to aim?

If you aim for torso, then you aim the center of the target, meaning that you hardly miss a moving target, matrixing or not.

Same goes for aiming legs.

The easiest way to miss a shot is to aim for the head; You only “save” a missed shot if it lands below the head (torso). If you aim too much high, right or left then you miss; Avoiding a headshot is also quite easy if you are aware of being aimed as your head is the easiest body part to move in this game (by simply bending over or moving right or left).

From 1 to 3, 1 being the easiest and 3 the hardest, here is how I list difficulty to land an arrow on different body part (hit boxes):

1- Torso
    2- Legs
    3- Head

B) Classes damage resistance

Bodkin and Broadhead are stupid. As an archer, you should be quite inefficient against 2 things (whatever arrow type):

• Plates armor
    • Shields

In the meantime, arrows should be VERY efficient against “low armored” classes (archer and MaA). What I mean is that such low armored and fast moving little guys should be damaged hard when getting an arrow in the chest.

Concerning Vanguards, no plate armor and no shield may make you think that they should be treated as archer and MaA from an arrow PoV. However I do not think that making them weak against archer is a good thing; OK they have no armor, OK they have no shield, but still: They are a kind of berserk warrior, meaning they need to be able to deal with some arrows in the chest (no so much as knight though).

C) Legs

Shooting legs should be inefficient in a damage PoV. First of all it is stupid to kill someone with a leg shot. Second point (and I think the most important one) is that it make shield completely useless!

I see leg shot as a pain in the ass: It should be annoying, but should hardly kill you.

–------------------------------------------

From those 3 points, here is what my conclusion is for each “impact zone” with arrows (both crossbows and bows):

Head shot
    Make head shot devastating for every classes; High amount of damage when getting an arrow in the head seems fair enough, doesn’t it? (Maybe add some resistance to Vanguards and Knight compared to Archer and MaA, but still have to deal a lot of damage). Should kill low armor and almost kill (or kill, depending on the bow) high armor.

Torso
    Make Torso shot less damaging; It is the easiest spot to reach! Nerf torso damage! I think this is the most “unbalanced” stuff of archer class. Make it very damaging for archer and MaA, but quite bearable for Vans and especially Knight. In other words, it should easily kill low armor and be “only” a team support for killing High Armor.

Legs
    Make Leg shot quite useless from a pure damage PoV. An archer should aim legs for slowing down/bothering an opponent, but not to kill him! Very low damage, but flinch on sprint (or something similar). Same effect on every classes.

And remove bodkin/broadhead choice please :)

• Bodkin arrows are designed for armor piercing, so there should be some differentiation when using that arrow type that it does more damage to plate armor and chain mail.

Also bolts weren’t covered, which should also do more damage to Knights / Vans.

• Broadheads vs bodkins is stupid and just adds unnecessary complexity to an already hard to balance mechanic. There shouldn’t be Broadheads and Bodkins, it should just be arrow vs bolt. Arrows are effective against Arch and MaA, somewhat Vanguard and not Knight unless it’s a headshot. Bolts should be effective against Knight and Van in addition to Arch and MaA, but decrease the range of crossbows so they’re high-velocity, short-range, long reload weapons like they’re supposed to be, instead of their current role as sniper meta.

• @Oy:

Broadheads vs bodkins is stupid and just adds unnecessary complexity to an already hard to balance mechanic. There shouldn’t be Broadheads and Bodkins, it should just be arrow vs bolt. Arrows are effective against Arch and MaA, somewhat Vanguard and not Knight unless it’s a headshot. Bolts should be effective against Knight and Van in addition to Arch and MaA, but decrease the range of crossbows so they’re high-velocity, short-range, long reload weapons like they’re supposed to be, instead of their current role as sniper meta.

Actually kinda like that idea.