The nerve of some people (another rant on feinting)

• @BillDoor:

So you admitted to using the right mouse button? In public?

OH god, GONNA EDIT THAT REALLY FAST
    what will my family think of me

• @ChuckingIt:

Pro-tip. Ignore what people say unless you actually cheating. And enjoy the tears.

Also do some shit like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ-b2TJQFgU

LOL@French Basketball

• I think feints are a really fascinating aspect of Chivalry and why it causes so much turmoil with players new and old. So here’s what I think.

I think the main reason people take issue with feints is because it’s considered a cheap tactic (they actually directly reference this in the tutorial) and easy to exploit. That last part is pretty important, “easy to exploit.” Really, there are multiple ways to feint in Chivalry, many of which like you described. But then why is the actual “feint” feint (the Q button) considered cheap and exploitative and the others aren’t? A drag is kind of a feint, right? Sprinting in face-hug range to trick your opponent in blocking is kind of a feint as well, right? The fact that your opponent falls for this is on them, and them alone. You are not at fault, you did nothing weird or “exploitative.” The big difference here though is I think that feinting by using an actual feint (Q button) is insanely effective against most players. And it is just that, pressing a button. I think it’s fair to say that dragging is not something most players can excel at when they just started playing, right? Feints though, you can just do that, and it- most of the time -works. It requires less time and effort to “master” and in a game where you can die in just a few hits it is a huge game changer in combat.

I think it really comes down to people not being able find ways to defend against feints. I don’t believe in “reading” feints, you can predict them though, take guesses, and risks. And that’s super tense and cool, it makes combat really exciting. But for most people it feels like a cop-out and makes them feel powerless. Almost ALL video games are about power fantasies, ALL of them. Players want to feel powerful, feints take away that feeling and people get pissed off by it. I find it a really fascinating part of Chivalry and it continues and probably will continue to be a debate for as long as this game exists.

• Everyone has their tricks. This game is about finding different ways to murder your opponent. Unless it’s a blatant exploit of a well known game bug (the old dodge out of stun) or something of that nature, then do what you want. You can’t expect everyone to be reasonable, unfortunately. So they’ll either learn to deal with it or go to a different server. Players are often sensitive in areas where they are weak (anticipating feints in this case).

The topic of feinting has been an ongoing and very controversial one, but I can say that every scrim I’ve played in involved feints and minimal hurt of the butt. I’ve also noticed a decrease in feint complaining in duel servers lately as well.

• @Pilgore:

I think feints are a really fascinating aspect of Chivalry and why it causes so much turmoil with players new and old. So here’s what I think.

I think the main reason people take issue with feints is because it’s considered a cheap tactic (they actually directly reference this in the tutorial) and easy to exploit. That last part is pretty important, “easy to exploit.” Really, there are multiple ways to feint in Chivalry, many of which like you described. But then why is the actual “feint” feint (the Q button) considered cheap and exploitative and the others aren’t? A drag is kind of a feint, right? Sprinting in face-hug range to trick your opponent in blocking is kind of a feint as well, right? The fact that your opponent falls for this is on them, and them alone. You are not at fault, you did nothing weird or “exploitative.” The big difference here though is I think that feinting by using an actual feint (Q button) is insanely effective against most players. And it is just that, pressing a button. I think it’s fair to say that dragging is not something most players can excel at when they just started playing, right? Feints though, you can just do that, and it- most of the time -works. It requires less time and effort to “master” and in a game where you can die in just a few hits it is a huge game changer in combat.

I think it really comes down to people not being able find ways to defend against feints. I don’t believe in “reading” feints, you can predict them though, take guesses, and risks. And that’s super tense and cool, it makes combat really exciting. But for most people it feels like a cop-out and makes them feel powerless. Almost ALL video games are about power fantasies, ALL of them. Players want to feel powerful, feints take away that feeling and people get pissed off by it. I find it a really fascinating part of Chivalry and it continues and probably will continue to be a debate for as long as this game exists.

Very well said. I think we were both typing our posts at the same time lol.

• Haha, yup!

• Global Moderator

@Pilgore:

I don’t believe in “reading” feints, you can predict them though, take guesses, and risks.

Bingo, I Boil when people say you can predict a feint, Feint by definition = deception. you cant read deception. You can read someones movement and predict, for instant watching this Sophax charactor win the 2v2 EU comp he ran, stab feint overhead lookdown is all HE did repetitively. I dont understand how people lose to that.

But feinting or Drags are required for game play. you cant win against an MAA or ARCHER melee with a zwei without either a drag or feint. So pick on and use it. My server is a no feint TO server and is one of the MOST popular servers to play in. I disagree with using feints, so i made one of my servers no feint. it just so happened 90 percent of the community did as well.

• @Lilboots:

Bingo, I Boil when people say you can predict a feint, Feint by definition = deception. you cant read deception.

@Pilgore:

I don’t believe in “reading” feints, you can predict them though, take guesses, and risks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJydSOYj0FU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2mdlNzBALE

• You can read feints tho.

• I just giggle at people who say you can’t read feints.

They never even bothered to try.

• @Monsteri:

I just giggle at people who say you can’t read feints.

with Australian internet pretty sure you can’t lol

• Dunno I once played against Vanguard in some ungodly ping and all his feints were pretty easy to read. Parrying, on the other hand…

• @parkrangerstan:

LOL@French Basketball

Spurs champions m8.

3 French players to the nba finals this season (prediction). They must be doing something right.

• Honestly most feints are readable with enough practice. I used to feel the same way but after a while I decided to stop complaining and start learning. Outside of close up stab feints with some of the faster weapons and 1 handers there isn’t much guess work. It’s a mind game really and sometimes you just panic but that doesn’t mean it was impossible to read.

• Nowadays I’m having a lot of fun watching people spin around like crazy while trying to get me to parry. Sometimes I just hit them, but I find it hillarious when they spin around like crazy.

• @Xylvion:

Nowadays I’m having a lot of fun watching people spin around like crazy while trying to get me to parry. Sometimes I just hit them, but I find it hillarious when they spin around like crazy.

So you’re doing what i did, 1 year ago. Cool

• @Monsteri:

Dunno I once played against Vanguard in some ungodly ping and all his feints were pretty easy to read. Parrying, on the other hand…

I remember that day man! Was at beta and I was going zweihänder right, my ping was like 250+ lol, it was impossible to parry consistently, even worse to try and read your feints, your attacks were landing before the animations, I had to parry early everytiem. But I totally agree that feints can be read, you just need to practice it a lot. I can read feints some times, but I’m bad at it. You can predict feints too, but its diferent and you need to know your opponent for that. On the other hand, you can read anyones feint as long as you are gud and know the weapons timings and animations I belive

Once a MAA that was dodging out of flinch and attacking started to cry about feints. I mean, lol seriously fuck off what kind of player is this?

I can’t imagine how to play zweihander or any other slow ass weapon in that no-feint server. No ftp and cftp, how does this shit work?

• @Monsteri:

I just giggle at people who say you can’t read feints.

you play vanguard in a scrim with +100 ping and tell me how good your SoW feint reading is

• But Zombo, with 100+ ping feints are not the only issue. You would also have a hard time in consistently parrying SoW attacks, specially riposte lookdown overheads and some riposte stabs with their weird animations.

@Lilboots:

But feinting or Drags are required for game play. you cant win against an MAA or ARCHER melee with a zwei without either a drag or feint. So pick on and use it. My server is a no feint TO server and is one of the MOST popular servers to play in. I disagree with using feints, so i made one of my servers no feint. it just so happened 90 percent of the community did as well.

What about ftp and cftp, are those still allowed?

What about other common deceptions that don’t involve pressing Q or cancelling an attack?
    Like looking up/down right after hitting sprint, or jump/crouch “feints”, or any other kind of deceptive manouver that relies on how your animations look? Are those forbidden as well?

If they’re still allowed I’d say you’re biased against one specific movement, but that’s just my opinion.
    Because, sure, flash feints (I think that’s what they’re called) are not an issue with top players, as a veteran may fall only once in 7 times to them, but more inexperienced players will probably suffer them as much as an actual feint that involves Q.

For my part, I’ve been practicing feint reading for the past few weeks because I’ve always panicked, and that’s just ingrained in my nature. I used to be the most panicky rank 50+ people knew of and now I’m not fooled as easily, thank God*.
    What I’ve noticed after 2 weeks is that I no longer fall for them as much, not even triple feints, and can anticipate them a lot better. Anticipation, btw, has to do with learning the opponent’s style, which is not always possible, but you can also pick up patterns, watch how he uses space to recover stamina, etc.

*@Vanguard: I still fall for your unpredictable feints though huehue, but fortunately the Zwei and the polearms are slow enough to allow me to get my parry up in time with some footwork.