Server Messages of the Day

• Developer

The Message of the Day renders a web page which must be hosted somewhere on the web.

The config option takes a URL to an page. Page should be able to be rendered in 840x757 without a scroll bar. I assume Steam is using a Chrome/Chromium-based HTML renderer because that’s what all the cool people embed these days. You also have the option of including a second URL that people are sent to (in the Steam Overlay Browser) when they click the “Open website” button (if you don’t include this URL, that button will not appear).

Animating elements will run at a lowish framerate (a few threads have to sync the data up before it shows on your screen).

In PCServer-UDKGame.ini (or DefaultGame.ini if you’re a listen server…):

[AOC.AOCGame]
    ;MOTD URL to navigate the MOTD box to
    MessageOfTheDayDisplayURL=
    ;URL to link to with the link button
    MessageOfTheDayLinkURL=

Update

Patch 34 updates this feature. Mouse input is now supported, including scrolling. If a clicked-on link opens a page in a new window, or if the URL starts with “steamhttp://” (see http://www.tornbanner.com/announcement/ ), or if a URL includes “OpenInSteamOverlay” (could add it as a parameter, like http://www.google.com/?OpenInSteamOverlay ), then the link will open in the Steam overlay. Keyboard input is not routed.

Crashes related to this feature should now be resolved and we’re no longer calling it “experimental”

• At 840 x 757 we were still getting a scrollbar

We’ve proportionally reduced the page 820x738 and that gives us a clear page.

Although the page is rendered in html, hyperlinks don’t work :(

Nice to finally have MotD though :D

• Developer

Yeah, we’re not redirecting input into it so there’s no way to interact with it.

This in the CSS should always turn off scrollbars probably maybe if I’m remembering my CSS:

body
    {
      overflow: hidden;
    }

I could be wrong about the size. That’s the size we’re rendering and the size we’re requesting from Steam, but the HTML renderer might not be using exactly that.

• I’d suggest that if the page with the message was stored on the same pc as the server a local path/url it would work no?
    If steam is already connected to the server then the link is in the same place. I recalled something like this back in the day.

• If am not mistaken the server tells the client where to find the motd and the client then fetches it. So storing directly on the server would only work if the motd was accessible from the interwebs. Could possibly host apache/iis on the same machine as the game but would not recommend.

• Sweet :) We’ve been waiting for this. It’s a good start in the right direction.

• @MonkeyFiend:

At 840 x 757 we were still getting a scrollbar

That’s weird. I didn’t have any margin-issues using 840x757 dimensions.

Just in case, make sure there’s no extra padding/margins when the page is loaded.

body
    {
      margin: 0; padding: 0; overflow: hidden;
    }

• I added the appropriate lines to my config file and created a very basic HTML file (properly formatted XHTML 1.0 transitional) with just a container div and single line of text and it didn’t work. Due to our setup we already have IIS setup and working from the same server for fastdl for other game servers. The HTML file loads fine from the browser, just not in the game. Is there another setting or a proper URL format that needs to be followed? I used the full URL assuming that’s what was needed, for example: http://www.example.com/cmw-motd.html

We’d really like to get this setup so any advice would be appreciated.

• Has anyone else had an issue with the motd? I saw one other person having trouble in another thread but no responses there either. I’ve tried looking everywhere I can think of and re-checked the lines in the ini file. I can’t find any reason for this to not work. There’s no javascript or PHP code. Only a few lines of CSS and a div with a single line of text. When I try to join the server it doesn’t even try to go to a motd screen, it just loads right into the game. I’d really like to get this working.

• That’s weird. It seems a pretty straight forward feature. Both my dedicated and home svs have the MOTD with no issues.

Just in case, here’s my PCServer-UDKGame.ini

[Engine.GameReplicationInfo]ServerName=SV NAME
    ;NO MessageOfTheDay line here

MessageOfTheDayDisplayURL=http://www.url.com/file.html
    MessageOfTheDayLinkURL=http://www.url.com/

Maybe you are not updated the proper file and/or using a different subconfig dir? Make any subtle changes in the server UDKGame.ini, and restart it to make sure it’s not in some limbo.

Btw, the MOTD seems to be not working for the listen server. I tried adding the lines too but whoever joins gets no MOTD screen, not even a blank one. This may be “intended”.

• @Alphonse:

That’s weird. It seems a pretty straight forward feature. Both my dedicated and home svs have the MOTD with no issues.

It actually is pretty straight forward with one little catch. I’m not sure what else is required in the ini files to make this work but my older install was to blame. I’ve been keeping the same ini file throughout all of the patches/upgrades. I backed up my ini files and downloaded a new copy of the server files, then edited the new ini files and everything works now. I’m not sure what other settings are required to make this work since I don’t have time to look at it just yet but I’ll compare the files if I get the chance, I’d like to add the info to our FAQ/Knowledgebase. Thanks for the reply, I just wish one of the developers could have offered some insight into this. Now I have to go replace the configs on about 20 servers….

• @bestrafung:

I’ve been keeping the same ini file throughout all of the patches/upgrades. I backed up my ini files and downloaded a new copy of the server files, then edited the new ini files and everything works now.

Yeah, I don’t think that’s the best practice for Chivalry though. I tried doing that on my sv but gave up because I saw how every patch would expand the parameters in the different inis and the patch notes would not offer all the necessary documentation.
    These days, after an update, I just update it and run the server with the default settings so it rewrites and updates all the base inis.

To make any changes I use subconfig directories, a lot, and Notepad++ with a File Compare plugin so I can check what was changed between versions and make the necessary modifications.

• Just thought I’d add that the issue was related to the lines being added several times. They were set but it was duplicated a couple of times further down and blanking/resetting the values. I’m not sure if it was another server admin messing around or the update that duplicated the lines but all is well for most servers.

My issue now is that even after checking to be sure it wasn’t the same issue again one of my duel servers quit displaying the motd after the most recent update. Does anyone have any ideas why it would quit working?

• Developer

@Alphonse:

Yeah, I don’t think that’s the best practice for Chivalry though. I tried doing that on my sv but gave up because I saw how every patch would expand the parameters in the different inis and the patch notes would not offer all the necessary documentation.
    These days, after an update, I just update it and run the server with the default settings so it rewrites and updates all the base inis.

To make any changes I use subconfig directories, a lot, and Notepad++ with a File Compare plugin so I can check what was changed between versions and make the necessary modifications.

If we make any changes that’d affect PCServer-UDKGame.ini or PCServer-UDKEngine.ini we try to do it in a way that Chiv will keep working normally even if you don’t update (making the default “false” for boolean variables, for instance, so if you don’t have the entry there’s no effect). Generally we don’t even bother updating our .ini files on our own servers unless we really have a reason to. Trying to keep new items documented in DefaultGame.ini and DefaultEngine.ini too, but some might slip through without any documentation anywhere.

• Both of my duel servers still aren’t showing the motd and it also looks like max ping /ping kick isn’t working for these servers anymore either. Has anyone else had this issue and know how to fix it? The only change we made was enabling the motd (which works on every other non-duel server).

• Since adding a MOTD a few days ago users are prone to crash upon entering the duel server. You’ll see the MOTD start to load then Chivalry will crash. Other times itll load the chivalry steam page within the motd area and freeze.

• don’t touch anything before it’s completely loaded, don’t even move your mouse, then it works perfectly fine.

• @Xylvion:

don’t touch anything before it’s completely loaded, don’t even move your mouse, then it works perfectly fine.

Hardly a fix is it eh? Thanks for the tip though.

• The MOTD on my server doesn’t seem to display when a horde map is playing, but it works for every other mode. Any ideas on what could be going wrong?

• @Knifelegs:

The MOTD on my server doesn’t seem to display when a horde map is playing, but it works for every other mode. Any ideas on what could be going wrong?

Same thing happened on my sv back in Halloween.