Chase Mechanic has broken the game.

• Chase Mechanic has broken the game or at least fundamentally changed how the game is now played. Whoot, new Metas! NOT.

I am not even sure why they added a 10% boost. Who asked for it and why? I think all we asked for was for the chase mechanic to work consistently. The 10% boost as destroyed any chance of using “Hit and Run” tactics.

It has also killed fighting more than one opponent as you used to be able to sprint past the first guy and hit the one behind then target switch. The problem now is that the first guy you blow past is instantly on your 6 and boom you are dead.

Kiting? Forget it, it is close to impossible to sucker one into following you so that you can 180 overhead because now they are instantly on your ass.

Retreat to regain health or distance? Forget it.

No one asked for the boost we asked for mechanic consistency, to actually have it engage when it should at the speed that it was at. Now all you have to do is be close and the mechanic kicks in at hyper speed. Why even have different class speeds any more if a knight can chase down and archer from half the distance of the map? There was a tactic known as cutting the angle and cutting players off to catch them. Now, just look in their general direction and hit sprint.

So much like the flinch that we wanted the mechanic to work like it should, it was “FIXED” to be virtually non existent for the new hit trade warfare, the chase mechanic we hoped would be consistent is now, dont ever retreat.

• rip chivalry

why cant we have the old forward chase that worked 100% of the time and added depth to the game?

• The chase mechanic activates without even looking at the target, it’s weird and broken, i don’t even know what triggers it. Just when people were using bait and switch tactics more often we get this crap…Also more incentive to spam dodge YAY

• Well the least they could do now is remove the sprint lockout. Bwahahah who am I kidding?

• Global Moderator

So pussy tactics got nerfed.

I like chasing down dancing VGs with the warhammer. Before those fights were long and tedious.

• @lemonater47:

So pussy tactics got nerfed.

I like chasing down dancing VGs with the warhammer. Before those fights were long and tedious.

I knew you couldnt resist defending the stupid. They were not long and tedious, they required skill and knowledge. Hit and Run tactics are as old as ancient warfare. Pussy tactics? this nerfs your precious archers too…. IF you had any skill you would know how to cut the angle to chase down a vanguard and use the old chase mechanic, when it worked properly. This is 10% boost is retarded along with your defense of it. It dumbs down the game… again.

• Global Moderator

Yeah but running around in circles wasn’t a tactic was it. Don’t bring realism into this. They run off turn and swing and you’d have to follow at a distance. Then rush in when their swing misses and hope you can hit him fast enough before he combos into you or combo feints to parry. Then he bloody runs off again and you have to time it again. If you’re lucky he’ll realise that tactic isn’t working.

And when people do it in 3rd person god damn.

You couldn’t run away and heal anyway when it was 1v1 so I don’t know why you are adding that to your argument.

• @lemonater47:

Yeah but running around in circles wasn’t a tactic was it. Don’t bring realism into this. They run off turn and swing and you’d have to follow at a distance. Then rush in when their swing misses and hope you can hit him fast enough before he combos into you or combo feints to parry. Then he bloody runs off again and you have to time it again. If you’re lucky he’ll realise that tactic isn’t working.

And when people do it in 3rd person god damn.

You couldn’t run away and heal anyway when it was 1v1 so I don’t know why you are adding that to your argument.

Sorry but running around in a circle, is a tactic. Ideally, you want to run in a circle and out flank your opponent. Gee how dumb are you?

3rd person is a different argument, I for one have never been a fan.

Yes you can run away and heal when it is 1v1, It is all about keeping and maintaining distance. If you could sprint away just enough and then heal in the hit exchange environment, that little extra health can make the difference between life and death on the next hit exchange. But retreating to regain health in more powerful in multilayer which this game is, DUH.

If you failed to win against kiters then you dont know how to play. It is not about chasing them, it is about being patent and taking your shot at the right time. Hell if you just stand still while they do it, then pounce on them when they miss because they though you were chasing them.

The point is; again we nerf valid tactics in favor of dumbing down the game. Do I Kite? On occasion yes but all the time? never. Like any tactic if over used become vulnerable and predictable. But to nerf tactics and removing more options of game style and play just dumbs it down.

• chase was never underpowed. now it makes you superhuman.

I just love scouting around as a MAA in some TO game, and then run into a pack of knights and vanguards and subsequently be chased down and butchered even though I’m playing the lightest class. it’s bullshit.

• The base speed in chivalry was always too high for dancing and kiting to be considered tactical and well used. It was always really just luck and the most basic range awareness in play, also this playstyle was only really viable for polearms and spears even when it was gambly.

I don’t approve of the new increases, but kiting was never really a valid form of play. This game as a whole is too inconsistent for any of this to be taken seriously anyway. #wait4slasher

• I like that dancers and 3rd person scrubs got nerfed, makes me laugh when their tactics doesn’t work anymore. Although I agree it’s hard to read distances now as you don’t know if the person is gonna run at warp speed or not, but at least knights and vanguards can catch up to MAAs and archers which is fine.

• Global Moderator

Its literally only a pub stomp tactic lol. Rank 30s use it.

• I think it’s a dumb change but I also like to see kiters crushed mercilessly. Most idiotic pubstomp “tactic” ever.

• But Kiting like any tactic works when properly used. In fighting more than one person, in TO where you need to pull people off an objective by distraction and hope they follow you so your team can swoop in and take advantage of the gap are just a few examples where nerfing tactics with game mechanics is a repeated mistake. It is like removing a Philips screwdriver from your tool box. Yes there are other tools that will do the job to remove the screw but it sure makes a mess of things and much harder to accomplish.

Now it is much easier to defend objectives by just making a shield wall and don’t get distracted.

• I think it makes the game feel a lot better now, but just re-adding forward chase and making the chase mechanic activate sooner (you know, just like it used to since closed beta, no reason to remove it) would’ve been best.

• kiting was never really a valid tactic with anything but a spear, it was always really luck based and players that relied on it very often get rekt. This just allows heavier classes to catch up with maa and archers fleeing from battle tbh. Even then, kiting will still be effective when used offensively to quickly maneuver from target to target, it just wont be used to the extent that you are literally running away from battle.

The OP is largely over reacting to the extent in which this is influencing gameplay.

• Global Moderator

@Retsnom:

But Kiting like any tactic works when properly used. In fighting more than one person, in TO where you need to pull people off an objective by distraction and hope they follow you so your team can swoop in and take advantage of the gap are just a few examples where nerfing tactics with game mechanics is a repeated mistake. It is like removing a Philips screwdriver from your tool box. Yes there are other tools that will do the job to remove the screw but it sure makes a mess of things and much harder to accomplish.

Now it is much easier to defend objectives by just making a shield wall and don’t get distracted.

?? That never worked beforehand. They just took 10% longer to reach you.

• This post is deleted!

• Half the time this boost activates at total random, thus making the game really inconsistent… More than once I’ve gone spectator mode to figure out whether someone was speedhacking or not, only to realize it was this bs mechanic at work.

Terrible thing to implement. Does nothing for the gameplay except mess up range judgement, because half the time you have to guess whether your opponent will be coming at supersonic speed or not.

Also it doesn’t have anything to do with it limiting kiting or not, which is a shit tactic anyways. The main problem is the inconsistency.

This needs a hotfix.

• BWAHAHA IF it is such a shit tactic and can easily get wrecked then why remove it or limit it. But that is not really the point of the post is to defend one single tactic. It nerfs many tactics and make camping shield wall super powerful now when protecting objectives. It is just super dumb idea. You have only had a few days with the mechanic. mark my words, when people figure out the bullshit with it you will be whining about sooner than you think.

It was never asked for, the chase mechanic was inconsistent. That is what needed to be fixed not a speed increase. Now there is no reason not to hold sprint down when fighting cause of the speed boost. Instead of actually fixing the mechanic “cough cough flinch cough chase mechanic cough” lets just tweak the numbers and hope that flies…… pathetic.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.