Poll: Should forward chase return?

• I definitely think it should. Removing it just slowed down the game a ton and messed with really important things like weapon ranges and speeds that were designed with forward chase in mind. Back pedaling was a punishable offense with it but it was also viable because there were proper times to do it. Now you’re almost always back pedaling which is forcing many short weapons (along with vanguard knockback) to be much worse they than should. The bubble currently is in an okay spot except for the fact it’s still really hard to hit people’s back as they’re sprinting away with short weapons, even with the new faster chase. Chase needs to activate faster, but only when chasing an enemy’s back, not the forward chase. Forward chase should also be slower than back chasing, or rather back chasing should be faster than forward chasing. Readding forward chase would actually nerf MaAs but give them more viable options outside broad/Norse sword ect., and possibly this would make vanguard knockback less anti-fun since you could close the distance more quickly.

• with forward chase it was too easy to facehug wars

come on man you’re sonic the hedgehog with the new backchase, even a micropenis dagger could hit a maa butt

• @KILLBANDS:

with forward chase it was too easy to facehug wars

But the bubble exists now, and no you can’t hit MaAs running away with dagger. Your bubbles still collide and you bounce off out of range with short weapons: speed won’t fix that.

• @SOC:

I definitely think it should. Removing it just slowed down the game a ton and messed with really important things like weapon ranges and speeds that were designed with forward chase in mind. Back pedaling was a punishable offense with it but it was also viable because there were proper times to do it. Now you’re almost always back pedaling which is forcing many short weapons (along with vanguard knockback) to be much worse they than should. The bubble currently is in an okay spot except for the fact it’s still really hard to hit people’s back as they’re sprinting away with short weapons, even with the new faster chase. Chase needs to activate faster, but only when chasing an enemy’s back, not the forward chase. Forward chase should also be slower than back chasing, or rather back chasing should be faster than forward chasing. Readding forward chase would actually nerf MaAs but give them more viable options outside broad/Norse sword ect., and possibly this would make vanguard knockback less anti-fun since you could close the distance more quickly.

I’d much rather return to vanilla bubble than implement any more of this. It will just make the hit trade face hug meta even more prevalent than it already is. Vanguard knockback is annoying but hell there’s no way to keep distance anymore. Isn’t that what spears and polearms are made for? I’d much rather remove sprint lockout and revert bubble to vanilla tbh. All of these pro knight implementations are not needed as knight is already the most dominant melee class in the game and they are in a good spot right now. We don’t need to go back to the knight meta as it is pretty much already here. Basically forward chase isn’t necessary and nerfing knockback alone would be the best for the game.

• A consistent forward chase is the same as increasing base speed by ~15%.
    Just question yourself do you want the base speed increased or do you not because the chase mechnanic will never work reliable. There is also the thing that the engine handles higher speed very poorly

• No thanks.

• Nope, has anyone noticed improvements with the other chase mechanic post patch? It was almost impossible for a knight to catch a weaving archer before it.

• Yes, but only if stabfeints get nerfed.

• @Huggles:

I’d much rather return to vanilla bubble than implement any more of this. It will just make the hit trade face hug meta even more prevalent than it already is. Vanguard knockback is annoying but hell there’s no way to keep distance anymore. Isn’t that what spears and polearms are made for? I’d much rather remove sprint lockout and revert bubble to vanilla tbh. All of these pro knight implementations are not needed as knight is already the most dominant melee class in the game and they are in a good spot right now. We don’t need to go back to the knight meta as it is pretty much already here. Basically forward chase isn’t necessary and nerfing knockback alone would be the best for the game.

While face hugging was definitely something you could beat before the bubble, it wasn’t necessarily a fun part of the game. Hatchet parrying was a nightmare, same with falchion, and I like what the bubble intends to do which is force a reasonable amount of distance between you and your opponent, so I wouldn’t like it removed. Maybe lessened even more, sure, whatever reduction that’s necessary for short weapons to be fine again but it would also take forward chase to return. Spears and pole arms aren’t made necessarily for distance but to be team support weapons. Pole arms sacrifice some reach (and typically speed) for combos. When you say knight, do you mean messer/maul only? Because the old “sword meta” was the best meta and the game was the most fun back then. Remove damage tracers on back swings (just like handle hits) and a lot of your hit trades will be solved then. Sure it’ll lower the skill cap a bit, but it’ll do it without lowering turn speed (like DW does, ugh) and force you to focus more on feints and normal drags which I think would make the game look and feel better. It’ll also indirectly nerf the maul so that can’t rely on ROH ect. to hit trade, and overall the meta would shift heavily. Also, nothing should one shot a knight, so that means no maul overhead to head or heavy crossobow headshot. Would also change the meta to a lower HTK like it used to be and the game would be better. This would mean reverting the greatsword, because vanguards need a good weapon to trade for their same health as MaA to compete with knights. Knockback and stamina drain aren’t exactly fun and while I agree vanguards needed buffing to keep up with old knights and MaAs, they need buffs in other ways. Every class should be comboable, ripostable, and feintable. The only reason knights are popular is because the only way to oneshot a knight is to heavy crossbow or maul, so you use knights to counter knights. Without backswing tracers or maul oneshots, it would switch to a much higher vanguard and MaA meta so knights would need buffing. Forward chase is necessary for balancing MaAs, but holding off lowering vanguard knockback for after adding forward chase first would be fine with me.

@TheFunnySide:

A consistent forward chase is the same as increasing base speed by ~15%.
    Just question yourself do you want the base speed increased or do you not because the chase mechnanic will never work reliable. There is also the thing that the engine handles higher speed very poorly

It’s not though, and the old forward chase was perfectly reliable. The biggest difference between increasing base speed and forward chase is that base speed would make everything super easy to sprint out of range with then return and punish like an MaA and destroy a lot of weapon ranges/timings. It would also make it really easy to avoid feints, ect. so no it’s completely different. Forward chase only exists to make weapon ranges more reliable and to allow counter play to back pedaling which there’s nothing you can do about in a lot of situations. Only getting speed while your cursor is on the enemy is A LOT different than increasing base speed.

I think right now people are scared of forward chase because of messer/maul backswings.

• Mod

Backswings are easy to parry, nerfing them would just reduce the amount of viable weapons even more.

• Mithron, I really don’t like to say these kinds of things, but can you please just calm down? Everyone on the forums know that you think Knights should get every advantage in the book. We get it - you play knight. I honestly never see you play, which makes me wonder why this is the #1 goal of your life. But seriously, how many MAA nerfs and Knight buffs are you going to ask for? Everyone that plays this game seriously knows that knights are currently the strongest melee class. Just stop already.

• @Kim:

Backswings are easy to parry, nerfing them would just reduce the amount of viable weapons even more.

If a weapon relied on b0ckswings to be good, was it ever a good weapon, or just a gimmick? These are the questions we must ask ourselves tbh

• @Huggles:

If a weapon relied on b0ckswings to be good, was it ever a good weapon, or just a gimmick? These are the questions we must ask ourselves tbh

My opinion is that it’spart of the game mechanics… advanced mechanics.

• @Mystikkal:

My opinion is that it’spart of the game mechanics… advanced mechanics.

We all know spin2win is real, and the only reason it works is because it causes really fucked up animations because this game is pretty much just outright broken. Many times you can force a desync by just spin spamming tbh. I also remember a majority of clannies complaining about this back in the days of broken greatsword spins. Apparently the logic following is that it’s only bullshit with the greatsword and not the maul ofc.

Any hoot, I’ve diverged the point I’m getting to is that because the basic skill curve of this game is so low, yet the learning curve so insanly high people pretty much have to abuse potential game breaking mechanics to the point just so this game can actually be competitive. Which absolutely sucks, because this means the only 2 ways to play are 1) breaking animations and 2) feinting.

Parry is so easy which means footwork doesn’t matter which means fully understanding the fundamental mechanics of the game, and actually implementing some sort of form is pretty much useless. This also means there is no repercussion to spinning mindlessly as long as you can keep track of your opponent and all that jazz.

We all know the maul is a one trick pony though, insane stamina drain + oneshot kills + spinning. Spinning forces players to be more cautious because it allows maul users to hit trade MUCH easier which in turn gives the maul this weird fake iniative they should never have had. This allows maul to get more hits in than it should be able to which means you’re getting stam drained to hell and then one shotted once you stam out.

• @Kim:

reduce the bubble so we can use 100% of the weapons again!

• God no, and b0ckswings are cancer

• @Kim:

I agree that backswings are easy to parry, but people believe there’s a hit trade meta right now. I have no problem avoiding hit trades with most of the weapons I play (longsword, SoW, messer, war hammer, grand mace, pole axe, double axe, broad sword, morning star, flanged mace, great sword, zweihander, claymore, spear, billhook, halberd) but with ping indifferences I can definitely see why it can be a hassle especially in team battle environments. I just think backswings make the game look, feel and play worse. We can definitely give compensation buffs to weapons that need it outside maul that I still think should never oneshot a knight.

@Mystikkal:

you play knight. Everyone that plays this game seriously knows that knights are currently the strongest melee class. Just stop already.

I play knight and vanguard equally, and have since closed beta. MaAs shouldn’t be in their current state and knights only have about 2 viable weapons if you haven’t noticed. MaAs have more viable weapons than broad even before its nerfs, it was just that the broad was so good. I want MaAs to be on equal levels as knights and vanguards. They’re currently not, and anyone who plays seriously knows this. We can balance MaAs in pubs while giving them more team fight purpose. Stop being scared.

• yeah i don’t really miss retarded speed boost range fuckery and player desyncs in facehug mode

• Global Moderator

Its there so you can chase people down. Not to get speed boosts by looking at people. Hence why its called the “chase” mechanic.

• I’ve stated this many times now, forward chase is an incredibly stupid idea. It will completely remove any chance of winning in 1vX situations and limit any need for good footwork. It would nerf the skill-cap even further into the ground.

But hey, anything for an easy kill right? As long as you stand 1 foot away from a teammate at all times, you won’t see this as a problem…

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.