Guide to Pings

• In my time away from Chivalry, I’ve looked very deeply into the problems within the game and I’ve arrived at the same conclusion as before, which is that a large majority (above 80%) of the game’s problems are caused by pings. Which is why I wrote this short guide to pings.

Keep in mind, this is all coming from a true CMW veteran with over 1400 hours on record.

0-20
    If this is your ping, you literally don’t need any reaction time to beat your opponent. Everything’s smooth and natural as if you were playing a singleplayer game. The game is automatically adjusted for someone who’s brain-dead.

20-50
    This is the typical ping for someone who spends most of their time on duel servers. If this is your ping, you should be able to read feints and reverses without any trouble, which is most likely why these people enjoy dueling so much. It’s not a coincidence.

50-60
    This is where the typical clanfag starts complaining about their “high ping” (even though 50-60 should be still good, right?). But it’s true. If your ping is around the 50-60 range, you might start experiencing some of the earlier symptoms of a typical high ping veteran such as myself. The kind of symptoms that make you go “wait, didn’t I parry that?”

60-90
    If your ping is in this range, you should prepare for a slightly less fun experience. The time it takes for the game to receive information has a significant delay with pings above 60, and it’s even worse above 80. A more casual player might not notice this delay but any high ping veteran will tell you how it is.

Example: Feinting with fast weapons will allow the weapon’s animation to go past the wind-up stage before bouncing back. This is because the game has not yet received information that the player feinted. And as you might have already guessed, this also affects parrying to the point of “wtf i fucking parried that”.

90-120
    If your ping is still in the 60-90 range, you’re experiencing quite a bit of bullshit but you haven’t gone full lag mode yet, which some might argue is actually worse than full lag mode because when you’re in full lag mode you at least know you’re lagging and your ping is affecting your gameplay. But if this is your ping, others will start to notice your lag as well (e.g. warping, desyncing, but mostly warping).

120+
    At this point you should just leave the server. You’re not having fun and neither is anyone else because of your lagging ass.

• I agree with this guide. Damn elitist ping exploiters. This is the reason I don’t play melee.

• It’s pretty close. I used to not have problems under 100 ping (so 90 was fine for anything but super srs duels) but about a year ago I’ve noticed that 90 really starts to get bad. I’ve moved and now play at 70 ping at the very lowest, so I can never “force hit trades” and instead get perma flinched by any .4 wind up (even if you have .4 wind up and start before they do) which is why MaAs are so op, along with how hard it is to parry them with that ping.

I would argue that if you’re 100+, you should leave the moment someone starts complaining.

• 120 ping = animations have 2-3 frames, your animations desync (2h swords specifically), parrying is affected the most.

Maybe if this game had decent netcode and proper animations it would be acceptable to play with 120-130 ping, some people have no choice.

Better play archer, people will complain.

• It’s true that ping plays a big role. I used to play with 50-70 ping and it was OK. Since I’ve upgraded my internet I typically get 30-50. That’s better, but it still spikes occasionally. I never play with more than 80 ping. Eww. If there are no servers below 70 ping populated I’ll just play a different game. That being said I don’t really have a problem fighting people as long as they don’t go above ~150. I can handle other people’s lag if my own ping is decent.

For me the major limitation is always FPS. I play on a slow machine. It’s rare I have more than 40fps, and it’s often less than 30 in a team fight. Some maps (citadel) are simply unplayable. I do get decent FPS in duels though.

• Only if everyone had ping less than 30…

Oh the smoothness.

• If I lived 50 meters away from where I live now I’d have 100Mbit/s both up and down. Instead I have to keep using my 8Mbit/s down, 1Mbit/s up ADSL connection, yay. so I’m stuck between 50-90 Ping, usually around 60-80 :L

• @J-P:

I agree with this guide. Damn elitist ping exploiters. This is the reason I don’t play melee.

ping 2 high must archer

• This is accurate. I often have 60+ ping and is makes playing as MaA frustrating as hell. I can execute a perfect dodge, ready to counter before my opponent has time to recover, but still end with my head lopped of by a zwei when I was clearly out of range.

Since a lot of players, esp. in large TO games have 60+ ping, that’s one of the reasons that feinting is OP.

• feinting is not OP at LAN

can confirm

• Man, I’d love to play Chivalry on LAN someday.
    Now to get some real life friends first… who play Chivalry

• @Rickvs:

Man, I’d love to play Chivalry on LAN someday.
    Now to get some real life friends first… who play Chivalry

Who play chiv indeed. And the few I know who have “played it”, put like 5 hours into it. So that wouldn’t be much fun. I wish TBS was going to PAX South with a LAN setup. Unfortunately they aren’t even going :culpability:

• Global Moderator

Texas is a long way from Canada.

• Your guide to totally misses the 2nd half of the equation and that is your opponents ping. Good luck reading a feint from someone with 120 ping while you have 50.

• If I lived 50 meters away from where I live now I’d have 100Mbit/s both up and down. Instead I have to keep using my 8Mbit/s down, 1Mbit/s up ADSL connection, yay. so I’m stuck between 50-90 Ping, usually around 60-80 :L

Bandwidth does not equal latency…

• you can read feints from someone that has 120 ping, maybe stop making excuses if you’re bad at reading feints. Nobody can read bad animations, worry about that first, those happen to everybody.

He didn’t miss anything, he did say animations desync and warping occurs at 120 ping…hostile much?

• @wyrda78:

This is accurate. I often have 60+ ping and is makes playing as MaA frustrating as hell. I can execute a perfect dodge, ready to counter before my opponent has time to recover, but still end with my head lopped of by a zwei when I was clearly out of range.

And then there’s the other side of the story where defending against broadsword/norse/SS/dagger ripostes becomes pure guess work because of that little bit of latency.

• if only this would be known in pubs.

• I have to laugh so much, because nearly everyone in Aus falls into the 60+ category…. On a good day.
    We can’t all have 4 ping like some people…

• This post is deleted!

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.