Guide to Pings

• @J-P:

I agree with this guide. Damn elitist ping exploiters. This is the reason I don’t play melee.

ping 2 high must archer

• This is accurate. I often have 60+ ping and is makes playing as MaA frustrating as hell. I can execute a perfect dodge, ready to counter before my opponent has time to recover, but still end with my head lopped of by a zwei when I was clearly out of range.

Since a lot of players, esp. in large TO games have 60+ ping, that’s one of the reasons that feinting is OP.

• feinting is not OP at LAN

can confirm

• Man, I’d love to play Chivalry on LAN someday.
    Now to get some real life friends first… who play Chivalry

• @Rickvs:

Man, I’d love to play Chivalry on LAN someday.
    Now to get some real life friends first… who play Chivalry

Who play chiv indeed. And the few I know who have “played it”, put like 5 hours into it. So that wouldn’t be much fun. I wish TBS was going to PAX South with a LAN setup. Unfortunately they aren’t even going :culpability:

• Texas is a long way from Canada.

• Your guide to totally misses the 2nd half of the equation and that is your opponents ping. Good luck reading a feint from someone with 120 ping while you have 50.

• If I lived 50 meters away from where I live now I’d have 100Mbit/s both up and down. Instead I have to keep using my 8Mbit/s down, 1Mbit/s up ADSL connection, yay. so I’m stuck between 50-90 Ping, usually around 60-80 :L

Bandwidth does not equal latency…

• you can read feints from someone that has 120 ping, maybe stop making excuses if you’re bad at reading feints. Nobody can read bad animations, worry about that first, those happen to everybody.

He didn’t miss anything, he did say animations desync and warping occurs at 120 ping…hostile much?

• @wyrda78:

This is accurate. I often have 60+ ping and is makes playing as MaA frustrating as hell. I can execute a perfect dodge, ready to counter before my opponent has time to recover, but still end with my head lopped of by a zwei when I was clearly out of range.

And then there’s the other side of the story where defending against broadsword/norse/SS/dagger ripostes becomes pure guess work because of that little bit of latency.

• if only this would be known in pubs.

• I have to laugh so much, because nearly everyone in Aus falls into the 60+ category…. On a good day.
    We can’t all have 4 ping like some people…

• This post is deleted!

• @Toll:

Bandwidth does not equal latency…

It does help though, played while at uni once and that’s even further away from the servers, same ISP as I got at home, but I had 40 ping instead of 78.
    Bandwidth=/= Latency but Higher bandwidth lowers latency, this is because less packets have to queue up in my router and instead are being sent at once lowering the time it takes for them to traverse the internet, aka lowering the latency.

• I find it amazing that I get 110-115 ping during gameplay with 10 peaple on any given Chicago server. I mean, Chicago isn’t that far away, it’s crazy. Freakin EU players only get like 15 ping more than me on Chicago servers. There’s absolutely no argument against playing on Dallas servers apart from the fact that they’re not always offered as an option. Nobody living in the continental United States will experience greater than 88 ping. Perhaps the only other (somewhat) valid argument is that it accommodates the minority that live in Canada. Meanwhile, it alienates the considerable population that lives in the Southern United States. I’m sorry, but the population of Chivalry players in Southern California alone is probably more than that of all of Canada’s players. If Dallas is offered, it’s a no-brainer. I can’t believe when I hear an east coast player bitching about 68 ping on Dallas server….It’s the same fucking idiot that thinks I’m crazy for complaining about 115 ping on Chicago. You see, it’s easy to argue this point because it’s not a matter of opinion, but rather a matter of fact. OH and btw, Bigs lives in Canada on the west coast and he peaks at 68 ping on Dallas servers.

• I usually have 80 to 130 ping. Depending on how full the servers are. For some reason there’s only West Australian servers on deadliest warrior. WHICH IS FUCKEN SHIT. Move them onto MW pls. Thanks. I’m just sort of used to parrying early to be honest. Man at arms and short sword archers are absolute cunts to go up against though to be honest.

• Pfft who lives in Western Australia.

• This thread is flawed, the differences between 20, 30, 40 and 50 ms are huge enough to deserve their own categories for sure.

• @lemonater47:

Texas is a long way from Canada.

Tell me about it man…

• I cant find any server that has ping less than 90 :(. Playing with 8 mbit ADSL. Im from Turkey and even Deuthland servers have great ping to me. Sometimes really unplayeble. I cant react even a mauls OH repolses. Instant OH strikes. But i get used to play like this. Im playing as knight and dont trying to block ripolses. :) Trying to avoid them. If my oppent so close i have no chance to get hit from him. Just crouching and praying to not being killed with one hit. :)