Possible changes to the light crossbow

• So, the light crossbow. This post was different, once. It was…less than expertly articulated, longer than it needed to be and not quite as well thought-out as it perhaps should have been. But, this is the present, and present me thinks past me was a bit of an idiot, so I believe that means it’s time for a DO-OVER!

Now, I still think the Light Crossbow has way too much damage output (I mean, it only deals ten less damage than the freakin’ Warbow. TEN.), and that it’s damage output should be nerfed while it’s mobility is buffed to make it less similar to the other crossbows (and less obvious of an upgrade from the Warbow. Only ten less damage…pfeh) and a tad more similar to the Sling and Shortbow in how it’s deployed as an aggressive Archer weapon. Maybe no one else shares this idea, but that won’t stop me from articulating it.

One of my suggestions was the ability to shoot the LCB without needing to aim it first. This is a terrible idea, and a big part of the reason why the past version of this post was rather moronic. I would say this suggestion was wishful thinking on my part, but that would be inaccurate as there just wasn’t any thought put into it at all. It would make it too much like the bows (and likely an even larger amount better than the bows, for that matter). So, that part has been thoroughly scrapped.

One of my suggestions was to make Archer raise the LCB to reload it instead of lowering it, therefore retaining the ability to look and move around. That part is staying; however, it’s being moderately nerfed. Instead of only being slowed by 20% while reloading, as in the previous version of this suggestion thread, Archer should be slowed by 40% if moving forward while reloading. This would reduce him to a walk slow enough even Knight could easily catch up to Archer. Archer should be slowed by a further 10% (for a total of 50%, 'fcourse) if attempting to backpedal or sidestep while reloading (though ideally not when walking diagonally forwards), which would make backpedaling while attacking with the LCB (a common tactic with the Shortbow and Sling (I think?)) effectively suicide unless there is already a large amount of distance (or meat shie- uh, I mean brothers in arms) between Archer and his enemies.

One of the suggestions was to nerf the LCB’s damage output by lowering it’s damage by enough that it couldn’t one hit kill Vanguard with a head shot. This part is staying, and actually being added to. In addition to lowering the (in my opinion, at least) somewhat disproportionately high damage output of the LCB by reducing it’s damage (if not by enough to keep it from one hit killing Vanguard with a headshot, then at least by as much as possible while retaining one headshot kills on Vanguard to make body hits on light classes and head hits to Knight less damning), it’s reload speed should be lowered by a bit as well. Not by a whole lot, mind; just enough to put it’s reload speed roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of the way between it’s current reload speed and the regular Crossbow’s reload speed.

There. Now, hopefully this sucknado of a post is a whole lot less terrible.

• but light crossbow is already the strongest archer weapon by far

• LCB is balanced atm

• LCB all day erry day.

• is this another one of those joke threads?

• The reload is what makes it really easy to counter and require more than just shooting if your enemy archer is any good.

• Yes, we definately need 360 noscope LCB MLG pros. That’s what chiv is all about. Remove chase code too while we are at it so nobody can catch them and ruin their ESL-tier footage.

• Possible changes the the light crossbow - REDUX!

The original post has been completely re-done to hopefully be less terrible.

• Global Moderator

Its currently not an upgrade from the warbow still. Never was.

• Perhaps, perhaps. It’s a little hard to believe in that, though. LCB can one hit kill 3 out of 4 classes with headshots (just like the Warbow), has nearly the same chest shot HTK as Warbow bodkins (only Knight is spared with a whopping 20 health, ripe for one hit kills by melee), has much faster reaction times (time to aim and fire > time to nock, draw and fire), has the same (if not slightly higher) RoF if you have good timing, allows you to move faster before taking your shot and allows you to have either 10 more ammo or a pavise shield… But yeah, it certainly isn’t an upgrade. Having to stop for a brief moment while reloading completely offsets all of that.

• Global Moderator

Well having to stop for a brief moment would massively affect you if broadheads were still useful.

• @lemonater47:

Well having to stop for a brief moment would massively affect you if broadheads were still useful.

True, and I’m sure that’s of rather great concern in competitive matches. But, that downside can be offset if you make sure you don’t miss killing the enemy archer (and you will very likely have initiative with how little time it takes to aim the LCB versus nocking and drawing the Warbow), or if you use cover to your advantage (including that pavise, of course). That downside also disappears if your enemy doesn’t have any archers. But, the Warbow isn’t that great for counter-arching anymore (temporarily, hopefully). That means that if your enemy is serious about counter-arching they most likely have a regular crossbow or HCB (because of easymode bodyshot kills, naturally they wouldn’t be using a LCB), and therefore have a stronger version of the same weakness you do, which you’re better equipped to exploit with the faster aiming and reloading of the LCB. Really, it all just comes down to whether or not you’re a good crack shot. Feelin’ lucky?

• Global Moderator

But you always have your bow drawn. You are still mobile.

• LCB ,Sling, and Short Spear are currently the strongest archer weapons in the game. Can we get a Nerf anytime soon?

• You forgot shortbow and longbow on that list.

• Global Moderator

The ranged weapons that nobody uses are the strongest.

Of course.

• heavy javs are op