Anyone playing with a r9 280 video card?

• Whats your cpu ram, OS, resolution and experience with that card? I just bought one hoping I can finally max out chiv on 1080p.

• Global Moderator

I don’t own one but yes you can max it out with that lol. Its a renamed AMD 7950 lol.

Its the CPU that matters in this game not the GPU.

• @lemonater47:

I don’t own one but yes you can max it out with that lol. Its a renamed AMD 7950 lol.

Its the CPU that matters in this game not the GPU.

My my current gpu is a nvidia 275, my cpu is a quadcore 3.2 phenom so I think in my case the gpu is the weakest link

p.s. hoping :)

• Global Moderator

@BandOfTheHawk:

My my current gpu is a nvidia 275, my cpu is a 275 so I think in my case the gpu is the weakest link

The 275 is really damn old. Benches the same as my 5670. My 5670 did pretty damn well along with my i5 3570k running most thing on high. My 5850 is twice as good as it and mades the game at 90-120. My 5670 hit 60. And you are getting a 7950 essentially. That can run bloody crysis maxed out.

And what do you mean by your CPU is a 275? Is that a typo or are you meaning the AMD opteron 275? As that’s a piece of shit.

• @lemonater47:

The 275 is really damn old. Benches the same as my 5670. My 5670 did pretty damn well along with my i5 3570k running most thing on high. My 5850 is twice as good as it and mades the game at 90-120. My 5670 hit 60. And you are getting a 7950 essentially. That can run bloody crysis maxed out.

And what do you mean by your CPU is a 275? Is that a typo or are you meaning the AMD opteron 275? As that’s a piece of shit.

edited :) yeah a 3.2ghz quad core amd phenom 2, I built this rig in 2009

p.s. gettin the 280 in the mail in a week hope its boss

p.s.s. went with this one, I think selling the 3 free game pack will save me about 75$, plus my old card for 50$, on ebay, if I can use that promo for n sell 3x alien isolation ill actually break even lol

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127789

• Global Moderator

A new graphics card will help you but you went from one extreme to the other lol. Getting that graphics card the question of “will it run” shouldn’t even be asked.

Future proofing. That’s the advantage you get.

• @lemonater47:

Well asking if it will max out the game was the question, not will it run?

• @lemonater47:

A new graphics card will help you but you went from one extreme to the other lol. Getting that graphics card the question of “will it run” shouldn’t even be asked.

Future proofing. That’s the advantage you get.

Never asked will it run. Not sure what lead you to that.

welp looks like its gonna run fine on max with decent fps based off your earlier reply, thanks for the input.

• Global Moderator

What I mean is run well lol. It will run everything pretty much maxed.

• I run with everything maxed except motion blur. Solid 60 FPS in darkforest, hillside, stoneshill and outpost. Coldfront, some places in citadel and battleground second phase have some drop here and there that can probably be solved by lowering some settings and/or overclocking more.

The GPU is Asus AMD Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II TOP, 3GB GDDR5.

• Global Moderator

Remove your FPS cap. If I can get 120 FPS on some maps maxed with a 5850 you sure as hell can. Though usually sitting at around 90. Vsync would have to be off though.

• Why the bloody hell would I want to reach for 120 FPS when I don’t have 120Hz monitor?

• Global Moderator

Why would you not is the real question.

• @Kreittis:

I run with everything maxed except motion blur. Solid 60 FPS in darkforest, hillside, stoneshill and outpost. Coldfront, some places in citadel and battleground second phase have some drop here and there that can probably be solved by lowering some settings and/or overclocking more.

The GPU is Asus AMD Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II TOP, 3GB GDDR5.

Whats your ragdoll count at? I wonder how much hyper threading improves your CPU. A lot of newegg reviewers are OC that CPU at 4.0+ thats pretty nice. My AMD can likely hit 3.8 without a fuss but I’m afraid of burning it out :).

• Global Moderator

The game is largely single threaded so hyper threading wouldn’t do anything.

• @lemonater47:

Why would you not is the real question.

No, that is not the real question. Real question is why should I try to get 120FPS when my monitor is only capable of refreshing itself 60 times in a second?

inb4 muh placebo

@BandOfTheHawk:

Whats your ragdoll count at? I wonder how much hyper threading improves your CPU. A lot of newegg reviewers are OC that CPU at 4.0+ thats pretty nice. My AMD can likely hit 3.8 without a fuss but I’m afraid of burning it out :).

It’s the default, 25 or 35 I think? Never fiddled with it.

• Global Moderator

So there’s no reason to not do it and no reason to do it. Which in itself is a reason to do it.

You get to see the potential your computer has. So if you want to buy a faster screen. I have a 75Hz screen so I’m sort of stuck in the middle.

• @Kreittis:

No, that is not the real question. Real question is why should I try to get 120FPS when my monitor is only capable of refreshing itself 60 times in a second?

Sometimes your monitor’s refresh cycle doesn’t sync up nicely even if your video card outputs a (seemingly) constant 60 fps, but getting higher fps can shorten frame times and help with small stuttering problems and tearing (this is with V-sync disabled).

One frame @ 60 hz is 16,67 (16.67 for murica) milliseconds long, and if it happens that one frame took longer than that to produce you could get one frame displayed over two screen refreshes and it would look like the picture is stuttering.

If you can run your game at a constant 120 fps it is a lot less likely that the aforementioned stutter will occur. Fixing this is what Nvidia G-sync and Freesync technologies were made for: making variable FPS look smooth.

• I have a 7950 and I can run the game on max settings with 60 FPS.

The card you’re looking at is a VERY slightly upgraded version of my card, so you should have no issues.

• @lemonater47:

So there’s no reason to not do it and no reason to do it. Which in itself is a reason to do it.

Yes, let’s waste resources just because we can. What a great reason. Bravo.
    Maybe I should also waste more money to get a full tank wheneven I fill my car because I can, even though I don’t need full tank and I could use that money for more sensible things?

@Fang:

Sometimes your monitor’s refresh cycle doesn’t sync up nicely even if your video card outputs a (seemingly) constant 60 fps, but getting higher fps can shorten frame times and help with small stuttering problems and tearing (this is with V-sync disabled).

One frame @ 60 hz is 16,67 (16.67 for murica) milliseconds long, and if it happens that one frame took longer than that to produce you could get one frame displayed over two screen refreshes and it would look like the picture is stuttering.

If you can run your game at a constant 120 fps it is a lot less likely that the aforementioned stutter will occur. Fixing this is what Nvidia G-sync and Freesync technologies were made for: making variable FPS look smooth.

I have never ever noticed any microstuttering or screen tearing so allocating more resources to chiv just because I can is pretty pointless in my point of view. I’d rather keep something like SETI@Home running in the background and help the world rather than feed placebo by wasting computing power to get a few frames.