Perhaps some glaring issues with this game to post about… do what you will.

• Chase mechanic - yes we need it in the game, yes it needed to be revised and work better. The way it was gone about though is probably not the best. It needs to kick in sooner than it does but not go as fast perhaps. The issue is mainly chasing down the other classes as knight, but also reduce the amount of the ‘figure-8’ meta constantly running and gunning where the other class cannot catch you. Not sure exactly how to go about it but i would probably reduce the speed of it and give it a faster start up time. You can also initiate chase mechanic on targets that are WAY too far away and start speeding towards fights much to fast, so the distance you need to be within to initiate it needs to be shortened.

Flinch- my god where to begin? Well flinch is pretty inconsistent right now. I’m pretty sure every veteran playing chivalry has no idea what the game considers to be the ‘windup’ phase any more. You can hit someone in windup, before windup, after windup and whether they flinch or not is a complete draw of the cards at this point. I was definitely one of the advocates of removing flinch in release, but not flinch entirely. Somehow through this patch fixing flinch in release… flinch in general just managed to break. I would rather have flinch in release back than this broken hit trade meta that exists in the game now. If it means i have to eat my words about flinch in release being gone, so be it… that was better than every person in the game just swinging when you get close and timing NOT being a factor anymore toward gameplay. The other issue with removing flinch in release is, even if you hit someone during the pseudo-windup phase of ripostes, their attacks will still continue. Ripostes should be flinchable if hit right after a parry… otherwise you have the current meta of ripostes being untouchable, making the maul and other hard hitting weapons a complete joke and bullshit counter. ::: More on flinch is that flinch in release sometimes still exists when faster weapons hit you. Archers still flinch you as well … and by that i mean they basically don’t stop your attacks necessarily, but they keep your attack from doing damage or just cancel out your windup letting you instnatly windup again, but negating your initial attack… Team can cancel your attacks in this way as well, and enemies can still stop you from hitting… so much wrong with the way flinch works right now it’s hard to list all of it.

Parries - parrying is far too easy now. plain and simple. All the back parrying and ass parrying needs to just get out of the game. Making certain old attacks like the falchion slash that needed a 180+ degree parry is so fargone now, there’s not need for the parry box to be that huge. I remember a time when parries actually needed to be aimed, and now it’s more of timing a parry than actually aiming a parry because they seem to just give you a forcefield on all sides when you press the button. Footwork and aiming good drags should punish your enemy if their parries are off, so maybe work that a bit… it’s currently horrible. You can hit someone not looking at you with an attack that ONLY hits their back in entirety and yet they still manage to parry/block, or you can see the entirety of their back and stab the very center of it and get parried from behind, totally bogus.

Handle hits - yes, there were a plenty of weapons that needed the handle hits gone, and some that need them to not suck completely. Dane axe and warhammer come to mind (the warhammer buffs are great, but still needs at least partial handle) and also other slower weapons now requiring you to hit with the very end of the weapon to do any damage, this futher emphasizes the hit-trade meta currently making any slower less-damaging weapon lose to any more damaging weapon. Since the weapon takes longer to actually have a damaging tracer, it give more time to someone that initiates an attack LATER to still achieve at least a hit trade.

Stamina - stamina is one of the most limiting factors in this game, and yes there should be limits. However, parries cost too much, especially when in group fights being FORCED to cftp or PiP constantly with no other option. A very skilled player will lose to numbers of many low skilled players simply because of this fact. You can make every right move and decision but go down just because your stamina ran out parrying all of them. Reduced stamina for parries is needed, or 0 cost for parries and just leave the stamina cost to missed swings and feinting, including combo feinting etc. This leads me to my next point…

Stun lock - why in gods name is the duration of the stun lock based on the slowest weapons slowest attack that also happens to 1 shot every class in the game!? 1.8 is FAR too long. Even the maul can stun lock, take some milliseconds to realize their opponent is stunned, and then start and attack to complettion getting a 1 shot k.o. on their opponent and meanwhile you’re sitting there watching tv waiting to die. It’s absurd. It should only be a free hit if your opponent is quick and realizes the stun or that they are low on stamina prior to be ready for it… shouldn’t get a free hit if you totally miss it and don’t know what’s going on… The other issue with stun lock is that it doesn’t reset your state after being hit 1 time by an enemy for their free hit. If you happen to get stunned while multiple enemies are around, they ALL get a free hit on you. You cannot time it to where you get hit and parry the other guy swinging at you, you just get hit by everyone with 0 defending yourself.

Recovery times - flinch recovery needs to be longer, it doesn’t last long enough to get hit in between attacks, and even fast kick can interrupt a combo since flinch doesn’t last long enough. There are still plenty of weapons that with the current hit trade meta, can start a swing and not get flinched and hit trade your combo. They typically or never flinch you, but the hit trade between a combo is definitely there.

Archers - not nerfed enough.

Weapon switch ignoring flinch- basically says it all, getting hit while switching weapons has no flinch state and you can attack immediately. That is all.

Servers - constant lag, desync, skyrocketing pings, servers dying, overall stutter, etc.

Javelin flinch - it’s been in the game forever. If you get hit during the release recovery of throwing a javelin, it renders your block ineffective for the NEXT block, the shield will simply NOT raise. I also mentioned that if you feint out of a jav toss, your shield will not raise in MANY occasions, it’s pretty much a grab bag, i can replicate easily.

Kick - one of the most inconsistent mechanics in the game, doesn’t hit your opponent half the time. You can be far away and perhaps hit, or you can be right in their face and not hit. Any elevation seems to negate the kiick or slight footwork renders it useless. Doesn’t matter if you have a shield and doing shield knock or a kick, just doesn’t work consistently.

Charge attacks - inconsistent as hell. Sword charges are a complete joke especially with zweihander doing 360 charges. The distance needs to be set, and the turncap needs to be much more limiting in how much you can turn the charge attack. If you’re completely incompetently accurate and do charges at the worst times, you should be punished for doing a stupid thing and not rewarded for doing a stupid thing. Stamina drain is also too high on parrying a charge, it has almost no downside and every idiot with a button on their mouse charges. The charges also hit instantly before the animation at times, or far later than the animation… it’s so bad. If it can’t be fixed just remove it until it can.

Maa Dodge - it may not override the flinch recovery any longer, but it still bypasses ATTACK recovery, from what i’ve seen.

Well, that’s enough typing out of me… those are just some glaring issues with overall mechanics and balance I see currently in the game. There’s probably plenty I’m forgetting but…Discuss.

• lol tl;dr

• @Agent:

lol tl;dr

then don’t bother posting anything next time.

• Fix charge attacks, fix kick, reduce stunlock time to something about as lengthy as a Longsword overhead.
    I’d say those are the easiest to fix.
    But I agree with the rest of the list too, though.

Apart for maybe the handle hits. I don’t think any weapon should have weapon hits, even the ones that suck without them.
    That of course doesn’t mean that some weapons like the Halberd need to have their tracers adjusted so they don’t ghost through opponents all the time.

• I agree with most of that, but it is too late to start to change chiv, perhaps they will do one thing or another.

All good things to consider how to perfect in Chiv 2. Hopefully that engine is much easier to code in.

• All of this is true in my experience.

Please:

• fix weapon switching bypassing flinch
    • fix javelin superflinch (shield or attack not working for the whole duration of the comboed attack following the one that flinched your throw in the first place)
    • remove flinch animation that plays after getting hit by a ranged weapon
    • kicks often miss crouching players or players who are lower than you
    • sword charge sometimes flies over a walking player without hitting them, the weapon does damage immediately after pressing LMB and can be dragged for two minutes and can still hit your toes from ridiculously far away dealing a lot of damage. Solution: change sword charges to do an overhead attack.

• I concur. Just get rid of unflinchable ripostes and replace them with the old parry during riposte. Also, replace the current stamina stun times with the stun from the release of the game. tbh

• Good summary of all the bullshit killing this game.

Parrying is a joke and kicks never hit you if you’re crouching.

• @Ranulf:

I concur. Just get rid of unflinchable ripostes and replace them with the old parry during riposte. Also, replace the current stamina stun times with the stun from the release of the game. tbh

mmm yes that parry during riposte was godlike in 1vN, but you could still get rekt if someone hit your back while you were riposting.

• @50ShadesofClay:

Chase mechanic -

I like how far away it can activate. It lets you reach those annoying archers in the back and deal with other troublesome players really quickly and benefits both attacking and defending teams. I think it should kick in sooner too, but not with this much speed. Chasing down slippery targets needs to be consistent, I agree.

@50ShadesofClay:

Flinch-

Yes, let’s focus on making flinch much more consistent, but ripostes should never be flinchable. Nerf the maul or something if its the problem, don’t change such a crucial and fundamental mechanic to the game that every weapon has use of just because of the maul. You can flinch a SoW far easier than you can flinch a maul. Something is wrong.

@50ShadesofClay:

Parries -

I agree that parrying needs to be slightly harder, but we need to be careful about it. If we make it harder, the first thing that’s going to happen is everyone is going to say parries are broke and “everything is going through my parries all the time now.” Obviously that would just be a nightmare as mauls would be mandatory. For now, focus on removing the bs blocks like parrying stuff behind you and parrying multiple hits in one parry. As I said before, you should be able to parry multiple hits in one parry but it’s a little too forgiving right now. If two enemies are bad at teamwork and coordination and just are blindly spamming attacks at the same time on you, it should be punishable as long as you can correctly time and aim the parry, not just block the guy behind you as you blocked the guy in front of you at the same time. Look up parries should only parry stuff coming from that direction: not everything.

@50ShadesofClay:

Handle hits -

I think handle hits should stay gone, but only in the sense that they “instant hit” like with the famous overhead look down bardiche and polehammer. I think we can make weapons like Dane axe and grand mace better by just carefully buffing where it needs it. As for hit trades, let’s just fix stamina and make CftP better, and/or remove damage tracers from early release, and/or even consider nerfing maul.

@50ShadesofClay:

Stamina -

Yep, running out of stamina happens to often now. We wanted CftP and combo feinting to cost a lot of stamina, and we also wanted vanguard buffs but I think it’s just too much right now.

@50ShadesofClay:

Stun lock -

I must be the only player in the game who likes stun lock how it is right now. I think you should have more than ample time to land an overhead as maul on someone who ran out of stamina. Running out of stamina should absolutely be punished hard unforgivably, but I agree if you survive that hit you should have some sort of hope to regain initiative and fight back. Instead of nerfing stun lock, let’s focus on making stamina better overall so that you aren’t running out every few seconds especially in 1vs2+. That way you can see why stun lock needs to be unforgiving and make it a mechanic where you actually made too many mistakes with footwork and being too defensive and simply not managing your stamina skillfully.

@50ShadesofClay:

Recovery times -

I agree that we need to reach a flinch time that feels consistent but also not able to hit trade someone’s combo after being hit by the first swing.

@50ShadesofClay:

Archers - not nerfed enough.

No where near enough.

@50ShadesofClay:

Weapon switch ignoring flinch- basically says it all, getting hit while switching weapons has no flinch state and you can attack immediately. That is all.

Yep. Especially archers.

@50ShadesofClay:

Servers - constant lag, desync, skyrocketing pings, servers dying, overall stutter, etc.

Happening in US East all the time now. TO, classics, TDM, all US East servers seem to be having nasty problems while US Central aren’t as often.

@50ShadesofClay:

Kick -

Yep, let’s make it consistent. They tried awhile ago but still needs more work. Seems like last patch did something to kicks that made them even more inconsistent.

@50ShadesofClay:

Charge attacks -

Yep, something broke sword charge attacks again last patch. I can’t comment on other vanguard weapons since no one uses anything but swords even after GS nerf. Increasing the turn cap would be nice. I’m an avid vanguard player, I’m okay with this. I only ever use charge attacks against archers or on someone’s back anyway. Sometimes I feint to charge attack but I don’t think that should be a thing.

• I agree with everything you said, Clay.

• @Xylvion:

mmm yes that parry during riposte was godlike in 1vN, but you could still get rekt if someone hit your back while you were riposting.

i dont remember parry in riposte

i guess its kinda like clashing in slasher

when did that get removed?

• This post is deleted!

• Archers are not OP. They fulfill their role fine. But everyone just wants to nerf them to the ground until they are useless, simply because they don’t like getting killed at range. Well neither did the knights at Crecy. This is medieval warfare, toughen up.

• @zombojoe:

i dont remember parry in riposte

i guess its kinda like clashing in slasher

when did that get removed?

it didn’t happen every time, sometimes you just got lucky and you’d parry an attack while riposting doing damage and not taking damage. You’d just riposte and sometimes you’d hear a parry clang sound and go ooooooh

• @50ShadesofClay:

it didn’t happen every time, sometimes you just got lucky and you’d parry an attack while riposting doing damage and not taking damage. You’d just riposte and sometimes you’d hear a parry clang sound and go ooooooh

Chambering would be a pretty sweet addition if it worked properly, but that would involve having the parry hitbox tied to the weapon, and I just can’t see that happening in this game.

• @50ShadesofClay:

ohhhhhhh i know what youre talking about

the parry field stayed active sometimes when u ripsosted so if ppl attacked you early in your riposte it would get parried

• It still happens, but the window of time frame for it is much shorter now. It’s the biggest reason why you see people parrying 2 hits in one parry all the time now.

• @SOC:

It still happens, but the window of time frame for it is much shorter now. It’s the biggest reason why you see people parrying 2 hits in one parry all the time now.

i’m just going to go with parries block your front and back now, although i never get so lucky… my back always gets tagged i never get butt parries, nor do i get the super charge attacks. I must be doing it wrong, maybe I have to turn my sensitivity up.

• I was just trying to figure out if the game was playing poorly for me or if there was something wrong with me.

While going through some recent footage, I noticed this nice example of Chiv’s logic:

• Say Chiv, old pal, will I parry this overhead?

• Nope, f- you.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.