Islipaway's Workshop

• Hey guys, I’m looking to get some community feedback on a set I’m developing for the Agatha Knight.
    I’ve played a bit more now than I did at the start of the the polycount competition and what to make a set which more reflects the items I like to use in game, (I made the Horsebow for the competition).

So I intend to make replacements for the Sword of War, Mace and Kite Shield along with a Helmet.

I get the impression from this forum that - at least within this part of the Chivalry player base - items based on real ones are more appealing than those based on fantasy (though if that translates into what people will actually buy and make torn banner money so they can continue development remains to be a seen).

To tie these items together as a set I intend to re-use elements such as wrap styles, pommels and materials, each item will be based on a real world item and altered to confirm to this.

Here’s my progress on the Sword of War so far - does this look like something people would be interesting in using? How can I improve it to make it more appealing?

Thanks!

• Aaaw yissssss!!!

Big fan of the horsebow, since I own one that looks exactly the same, and since… I’m generally a big fan of everything that is historical. So I’m looking forward to everything you’re are to make, if you go down the accurate medieval route!

Sadly enough, I’m a crossbowman, so I’ll probably have to get used to shortbow after I’ve bought your horsebow.

• Nice looking sword, not sure about the tip. It’s weird this should come up today, I was doing some reading around weapons looking for something to make and came across the Estoc. Basically a sword with no edge, a square or triangular cross section and a sharp point. Or in other words a great big stiletto.

Would suit a knight, it’s something real and it isn’t currently in the game, and with that long blunt section you’re halfway there already.

• Hey! You know what would go well with that hungarian horse bow? Some type of hungarian headwear! :) Could be a hat, could be a helmet.

Also wouldn’t mind if TBS later would release new body models/skins for the archer, just like they did the vanguards and knights.
    Something like this, for both the hat and the body:

East-european/russian guys.

As for helmets though, something like these east-european ones with horse hair tassle. Would go well with the horsebow:
    http://www.manningimperial.com/gallery/215main.jpg
    http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa184/Donngal/Daves%20armour%20and%20stuff/Rus%20Armour/cameric2.jpg
    http://darkagessociety.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/asym2.jpg
    http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2009/349/0/3/Rus_warrior_by_VendelRus.jpg
    http://www.glasgowvikings.co.uk/IMAGES/bob.jpg

• Yeah I had originally intended to make that kind of helm, but then I saw the helms for the MAA and they are pretty much all like that so it would cause some confusion in terms of easily identifying class by silhouette which was part of the judging criteria. I think the cap in your illustrations could be interesting. I took much longer than I expected to make the bow due to issues with the animations and wasn’t able to make a helm in time. It seems like it’s going to be quite a while before these items are incorporated into the game so I may have time to attempt a helm too for the second round of submissions.

With regards to the sword, I agree I should sharpen the tip somewhat. I don’t think the sword this is based on is an Estoc but that’s certainly an interesting sword type! I saw some really interesting weapons with small one shot pistols incorporated into the hilt on a recent museum visit. Shame they don’t quite fit the time period!

• I think sword of wars should have some kind of curve on the hand guard so it will be easily recognizable as a SOW and not a long sword. Maybe just the very ends have a slight curve?

• Hmm yeah, I’ll try a different style on that area, I wasn’t very happy with it anyway and was going to rework it so I’ll try a variation with a shape more like the original SoW, however I think the thinner section to reduce weight/increase speed speaks for the SoW intention? Or does it not read that way?

• @islipaway:

Hmm yeah, I’ll try a different style on that area, I wasn’t very happy with it anyway and was going to rework it so I’ll try a variation with a shape more like the original SoW, however I think the thinner section to reduce weight/increase speed speaks for the SoW intention? Or does it not read that way?

This is just one person’s opinion who has played game since launch, but to this day the thing my eye focuses on is the hand guard. On the kill feed that’s how you can tell what the weapon is, and at quick glance that is what makes it recognizable on the battlefield. Others may disagree and that’s cool. Maybe start a poll or something. Just my 2 cents. Sword looks cool though.

• @ChuckingIt:

This is just one person’s opinion who has played game since launch, but to this day the thing my eye focuses on is the hand guard. On the kill feed that’s how you can tell what the weapon is, and at quick glance that is what makes it recognizable on the battlefield. Others may disagree and that’s cool. Maybe start a poll or something. Just my 2 cents. Sword looks cool though.

For what its worth I agree. Sword looks cool, but the guard makes it look more like a longsword

• @HeightofAbsurdity:

For what its worth I agree. Sword looks cool, but the guard makes it look more like a longsword

No hold your tongue, SoW doesn’t need a curved guard check your eyes mate Lg nabs

just the tip needs to be sharpened, like a pencil a bit ya know scootch

• @Sophax:

No hold your tongue, SoW doesn’t need a curved guard check your eyes mate Lg nabs

just the tip needs to be sharpened, like a pencil a bit ya know scootch

Yeah, small tip is its defining feature.

• @zombojoe:

Yeah, small tip is its defining feature.

Isn’t that how your last girlfriend described you?

• Hey guys, I’ve tried adding a curve to the hilt area and started to define the shapes of the repeating elements (pommel shape mostly) Re worked the wire wrap to be more realistic in construction and a bit bigger so it reads clearer in game. I still need to re work the guard section. Included an early image of the mace too so you can see how I plan on repeating elements to tie the set together. Any more comments?

• That looks sexy. I like it. It’s a slight curve that shows what the weapon is. I’d buy that.

• Certainly more identifiable as a sword of war, looking good. Not entirely sold on the giant blunt section though (is it the ricasso? I used to know this). The knight’s swords are all used one handed too, and this looks like it’d be terrible for that. Still, can’t wait to see this finished.

• What specifically about it makes it appear poor for one handed use?

The blunt section is the main identifying feature I think. Unless someone from TB comes in and says it wouldn’t be acceptable for in game I think I want to keep it, though I will seek advice. I’ll probably make a sharp version just to see how it could look if I get the time.

I have made a new guard section (I really need to learn the proper names for these parts), which you can see below. I think I am pretty much done for the High Poly version of this, though I am considering doing some inset gemstones in the bottom of the pommel and the ends of the curved cross guard section, as this is intended as a decorated sword.

• I’d ease off on the gemstones, unless you want to make an alt version. I tend to think the stuff in chivalry leans towards looking functional rather than decorative, dirt and grime rather than spit and polish, and this is nailing it in a way that most of the stuff in the contest never did.

As for the one handed comment, it just feels like those animations aren’t really focused on the tip as the damaging part. Thrust aside, they look like they’re making use of the length of the blade more than the two handed animations, which lead with the tip. Perhaps it’s a small concern, but I’m finicky like that. There’s also the other identifying feature of the Sword of War: The tapered blade. Longswords and broadswords have a more uniform width.

Unfortunately it means losing some of that unique silhouette (which is certainly distinctive, you’re right about that) but it’s part of making the weapon recognisable for what it is come game time.

• If you’re gonna make a decorated sword, don’t go too over the top. You could have some decorations like different colours in the threads of the grip which make up a nice pattern, and/or some text engraved in latin or german on the blade, but… isn’t this sword just as beautiful without all of that:

(hehe, found a sword that looks like yours!)

But yeah, I always think sword engravings in latin or german look cool, though more associated with executioner’s swords:

• Yeah that’s the sort of decoration I had in mind, I have found reference to acid etching being used in the middle ages but I can’t find many images of it, I’m not going to go as far as the dark set went, though I do think that looks awesome. The long flat section is begging for some sort of engraving in my mind and It’s an element I can repeat across the other items to hold them together as a set. I’ll do some experiments with it, nothing is really set in stone at this point. Though it would be odd to have stuff engraved in German when all the characters speak English!

With regard to conforming to the original Sword of War, it sounds like you just want the exact same sword again which is not very interesting to make, you need to remember that part of the idea behind Custom Content is to increase the diversity of player customization, not just increase the fidelity of the original weapons. Also I really like playing the duel mode and would like to have an OTT tourney style outfit for that mode, so decorated items do have a place within the game even if it would be odd to see them on the actual battlefield.

• Engravings in German while they speak English would be about as odd as foreigners always speaking English with an accent in every Hollywood movies. Everyone speaks English in this game because it’s a language everyone understands, but everything else in this game comes from all over Europe. It’s especially weird with the Mason Order, since they all look rather eastern/northern European (slavic and a bit of viking.) Especially the Mason archer, who looks like a steppe rider from far outside Europe even, but he speaks in american english. German engravings are not so odd now, are they?

Also, personally I think German just looks kind of cool and military in written form.